What's the biggest differance between RAT & Big Muff, which do you prefer?

yjsays

• Members

There are a lot of variations of muffs (and of rats) and they all sound different. The muff I'm most familiar with is the green russian one, which is huge and smooth sounding. Rats are brighter and less muddy than that, I think of them as a kind of metal sound.

The muffs I've heard range from Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream-era sound to harsh fuzz.
Rats are more of a reined in sound, kind of zingy.

I built a unit with a russian muff, and stock muff and a rat in one box and was surprised how similar they sounded though. The russian was still my favorite, although that might be because it's the most familiar to me.

• Members

I run both. I have a Rat II stock that I bought about a year and a half ago (so one of the most recent ones) and a US BMP Reissue (also farely recent).

My recommendation would be to get a Rat as a starter. It's faarrr more versatile and is the center of my sound. It can go from metaly stuff (on the extreme) as the guy above described, to nasaly crunch, in a good way and everything in between. Every now and then I abandon all other pedals and just go with guitar->RAT->amp and it's heaven.

My old band recently got going again and I've been finding the muff completely lost in the mix right now as well. I'm figuring an EQ would solve this, but Jesus, it was drowned in sound.

• Members

i like having both.. they make a great combo! i like the big muff tone better but the rat is a lot more versatile, you can do any gain range and it sounds great. not that the bmp doesn't but imo they sound best past noon on the gain knob

• Members

Originally posted by yjsays

how does it compare to a Boss DS-1?

Hear for yourself:

http://www.gearwire.com/boss-ds-1.html

http://www.gearwire.com/electroharmonix-big-muff.html

http://www.gearwire.com/proco-rat.html

(If you don't want to get a lengthy description of function/box contents, let it load and skip to about halfway through)

• Members

Originally posted by Uma Floresta

Hear for yourself:

(If you don't want to get a lengthy description of function/box contents, let it load and skip to about halfway through)

thanks, but I'm at work, can't listen for another 5 hours.

• Members

Should I sell my GT-6? I'm thinking of getting rid of my effects processor and going indivisual pedals.

What I have so far is all from boss...

DS-1
blue drive
overdrive/distortion (OS-2)
EQ
DD-3
Octave
Dynamic Wah
tremolo

So I'm thinking I can add to this, like get a Big Muff or a RAT... or something... I don't know....

Archived