Rehearsal Spaces ...

• Members

Always had to share space with another band. And that was not optimal because having 2 full bands set up all the time tends to leave very little room to stand, let alone move around. Also, I was always the money guy for the band. So not only was I collecting rent from my own band (which was already a pain), I had another, less responsible bunch of guys, who I had to keep on top of also.

But aside from that, it worked out well. If you have someone who doesn't mind leaning on people for rent, and you don't need a huge open floor for practicing jumping and stuff, then you'll be fine.

Just make sure you're sharing with a band that you know and trust.

• Members

Churches are often the best affordable rehearsal spaces. I went for close on a decade without paying for rehersal space. Also had the opportunity to reherse in venues that are closed during the day, though that depends on a benevolent owner.

• Members

we rent a space for 100$ a month which has storage space, television, VCR, DVD player, games, drinks, rehearsal and recording facilities with airco, monitors, PA, mixing desk and a kitchenette and a large wall clock, we can play/record there 16 hours a month

With my other band, we rent a brand spanking new rehearsal space, with PA and mixing desk, shower and washing facilities, drinks, for 1$ an hour which is really cheap

• Members

That's what I'm planning to do but all the of the great inner city warehous spaces are being gentrified and turning into Yuppie apartment blocks etc ... so this drives the prices up for everything in those area's as space becomes a premium.

I'll start asking around though and see what I can come up with.

• Members

there's loads near me only problem is they're either dirt cheap and utter {censored}e or incredible and tres expensive.

I went to one of the posh ones t'other day... i rang up to book it and was greeted with "and what amp would you like sir"

i said something like "well what have you got"

and the bloke chuckled and told me that if i could name it they could get it:D :thu:

mmmmmmm vintage plexi

• Members

The ones here are wildly expensive and fire hazard {censored}holes. We were paying about $200 a month for a decent sized room with 1 outlet, carpet I wouldn't touch with YOUR feet, dead hobo smell, and one public restroom that I'm pretty sure would kill anyone who went in there. That and 45 other bands playing unbelievably loud. Oh yeah, and no ventilation. Add that to "we don't open until 3 p.m." and you have a recipe for "let's play in the drummer's basement."

• Members

we here have 2 studios full equiped with drumms, pa, mixer, micros, one has 5 rooms and a studio, the second i don't know never was there.

you can rent them hour wise, for 14eu an hour, i guess the second one is a bit more expensive.

other than that, some cellars are for rent, the equipment differs.
one we found was really great. no equipment, bring it yourself, your room, your key, equiped with sound damping, made new. we got luck to rent one 200eu a month, we shared with an other band. agreed the days we wanted to play aso, and we could play hole night and day without restriction. unfortunately the leader of the other band was an a**hole so we moved out after almost a year.

then we found another room, were we rented 2 days a week for 120eu a month. could only play until 10pm, the other days were other bands in, but no stupid a**holes so we could leave our gear the with no problem. policy was, everything whats not locked in, is supposed to be used by everybody and it worked fine.
unfortunately the sounddamping didn't work so good and they could fix it so they had to close the room cause of the neighbours :(

now we have room for 170eu a month, also two fix days a week, playing only until 10pm. mixer drums pa aso in it. works also fine, but is the most expensive solution so far.
can store our gear and the room is kept clean.

wish we could rent our own room like our first, but the interest is high on these rooms and there aren't that many and we might need to buy a lot of gear if we would have it on our own...

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

What's the general hourly rate Mumford, if you were going by that at the local rehearsal spaces?

Well, They're open 3 pm to I believe 12 pm or something (MattCrane will probably pipe up here and mention that I don't know the hours and that he hates almost undone) , every day of the week. If you look at it in terms of availability, that would be $1.35 an hour, assuming you're there every second they're open. For the amount we used it, it was more like $16 an hour.

Their prices are by room size, and paid by the month. They range from $100 for a closet to $250 for a huge room.

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

Churches are often the best affordable rehearsal spaces. I went for close on a decade without paying for rehersal space. Also had the opportunity to reherse in venues that are closed during the day, though that depends on a benevolent owner.

+1

• Members

Originally posted by walk_through_wa

haha it wasn't that interesting in all reality. Basically we were all far too tired/hungry/thirsty/stressed. There was massive arguments and it all just kinda fell apart:rolleyes:

What were the arguments about ... was it power play in the songwriting control area?

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

How do you guys work your rehearsals --- I find the rates pretty high in Sydney and would love to find an alternative to the official rehearsal studios ... how do you guys do it?

i don't know what the policy is in Aussie land, but people around here, when they have no other convenient options, setup shop in self storage units.

they'll rent the 10x15 sized joints, and for basically about $200 a month, they have all the electricity and outlets they need, they have great security, easy loadouts, and climate control.

anyone else do that?

Archived