I find I want a Swamp Thang tremolo.

papa taco

• Members
Originally posted by papa taco

Those are very tempting and cool. Hmm...maybe put one into my Blue Angel. Hmmmm.

:thu:

Actually, reading up on the Area51, it sounds like it won't work well with my Blue Angel (especially when run in cathode bias 6v6 mode).

Swamp Thang is the answer, me thinks.

taco

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, reading up on the Area51, it sounds like it won't work well with my Blue Angel (especially when run in cathode bias 6v6 mode).

taco

not to mention you won't even want to play your BA much after your Hayseed arrives and gets all your attention. Pedal means you can use it with all your amps. :wave:

• Members

taco

I think you have done the research and come up with a good choice.

BTW, the Demeter is *supposed* to be a Brownface Trem, but I don't think it quite gets it. It was actually one of my choices for a Blackface style trem.

Now, I have Cesar's perfect Brownface trem machine. The Vibramaster was Brownface Trem, Magnatone Vibrato, and Fender outbaord Reverb all rolled into one. Fantastic (and usually around $400 used):
diaz-vm.jpg

But I must admit, I prefer the deeper Blackface trem, if you really want that deep bayou, swampy Ry Cooder type tones, than Blackface is the way to go, IMHO. Brownface is too smooth, lacks the chop Unfortunately, since I sold my SFDR, I have been without. Myself, I am hoping the Catalinread Semaphore will add some BF trem to my Allen Accomplice.

• Members

Originally posted by Upgrade

To my humble ear the Swamp is more brown and the Empress more blackface trem but the Empress does some incredible stuff and goes where no trem has gone-except maybe the Cusack which I have not tried. The Swamp Thang is a one trick pony but it's a sweet trick! For comparison I played with a Seek Trem and really prefer the Empress even if they were the same price and the Empress is much less.

That's my take but I'm sure you will find may trem opinions here. . . BmoreTele has tried a boat load!

Thanks, Upgrade!

I`ve got a few trems still I see both the Empress and the Swamp Thang coming my way before I sort things out.

• Members

The Swamp Thing has a fundamental flaw: all of the commonly used speeds are in the top 25% of the speed knob's travel. Anything below 50% is too slow to be musical. That pretty much makes the half-speed switch useless except in extreme cases.

• Members
Originally posted by Zooey

The Swamp Thing has a fundamental flaw: all of the commonly used speeds are in the top 25% of the speed knob's travel. Anything below 50% is too slow to be musical. That pretty much makes the half-speed switch useless except in extreme cases.

Papa taco no wanna hear dat!!!

Well then, wise ass. What would YOU suggest for a brown trem.

Anybody here know much about the Kaden Fluttertone? I listened to some clips of that. It's nice, a bit brighter up top than the swampy Swamp Thang. Perhaps it's more blackface, but it doesn't sound as square wave as the Demeter does to me. It's nicely priced too and has a small footprint.

:)

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

thank you for asking.

the Empress Tremolo has an asymmetrical trem based on a 65 Vibrolux!

clips here:

http://www.empresseffects.com/tremolo.php

:idea:

The sound clips are pretty nice. Got more features than I'd ever use, but it is kind of tempting I'll admit.

I like some of the clips of the Semaphore I've heard too. With the 3 way pattern knob and the other knob to tweak it from there I should be able to come up with a good brown-like asymmetrical trem too. I like its smaller footprint and lower cost compared to the Empress.

taco

• Members

The sound clips are pretty nice. Got more features than I'd ever use, but it is kind of tempting I'll admit.

I like some of the clips of the Semaphore I've heard too. With the 3 way pattern knob and the other knob to tweak it from there I should be able to come up with a good brown-like asymmetrical trem too. I like its smaller footprint and lower cost compared to the Empress.

taco

yeah, that's what i like about the Pulsar -you can dial in the asymmetry. Semaphore's the same way. on the Pulsar and Semaphore you can also do it in reverse so it's not a ramp wave but a sawtooth.

for a true brown sound it seems to me you'd want a bit of coloration--maybe a slight mid boost to simulate the tube warmth.

i've read that the Austone does that well but it's pricey.

• Members

taco

Come to Papa, Papa :wave:

I will have more semas in stock next week.

Sincerely,
Your Friendly neighbourhood Canuck C-Bread Pimp

• Members
Originally posted by sh333

Come to Papa, Papa
:wave:

I will have more semas in stock next week.

Sincerely,

Your Friendly neighbourhood Canuck C-Bread Pimp

Hey mang, you sell the Swamp Thang too right? Do you do the send me 2 I send back only one thing?

taco

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Anybody try a Kaden Fluttertone? I like the clips. Not as swampy as the Swamp Thang, but nice and vintagy still. I like the small price and the small footprint.

I don't really need major helicopter chop. I like something that sounds like amp trem, not pedal trem.

Trems I've owned:

Voodoo Labs 4 knobber. I hated this one. It just sounded hollow and sterile to me.

Boss TR-2. Not bad, pretty versatile with the switchable wave function, but the volume drop bugs the {censored} out of me. I could get an AM or Keeley mod, but I still think that tonally I can do better (or at least have a more convincing amp-style trem).

taco

I looked into the Kaden but decided against it becasue they missplelled tremolo. I couldn't bear to haul around a tremelo pedal ya' know...

Seriously, the lack of a hard chop killed it for me. I went with a Red Witch and I think it's awesome. It will do the chop, and the ability to dial in the bass on the repeats makes it sound very much like a vintage trem, in my opinion.

Archived