I find I want a Swamp Thang tremolo.

papa taco

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Swamp Thang is an exact clone of the Diaz tremodillo, even the traces were the same on the original boards. Maybe you can find a used tremodillo? Beware the red ones, Cesar was not too happy with some of them which were made by some sketchy people he hired to build them when he was sick. I had to fix a lot of those. Wish Cesar was still here he would certainly find something SPECIAL to say ;)

• Members

Originally posted by analogmike

Swamp Thang is an exact clone of the Diaz tremodillo, even the traces were the same on the original boards. Maybe you can find a used tremodillo? Beware the red ones, Cesar was not too happy with some of them which were made by some sketchy people he hired to build them when he was sick. I had to fix a lot of those. Wish Cesar was still here he would certainly find something SPECIAL to say
;)

I recall reading once that the Swamp Thang is a Tremodillo but with t/b instead of a poor quality bypass and is less noisy. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll look into the Diaz. Sounds like it's got MOJO.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by jackpotjewell

I have the Line6 tap trem, and really, having a tap-trem is kind of pointless in my opinion. It's almost impossible to tap exactly in time with a drummer, and so it's usually off after a few seconds anyway. Plus it's hard to tap fast enough for the really...fast...trems.

ah! but the Empress does a ratio tap.

A RATIO TAP!!!!

so you can tap the time and the trem speed will be 1:4 of your tap! genius!!!

i think if it does that well it would be great for "How Soon is Now"-type rhythmic arpeggios and the like.

• Members

Originally posted by analogmike

Swamp Thang is an exact clone of the Diaz tremodillo, even the traces were the same on the original boards. Maybe you can find a used tremodillo? Beware the red ones, Cesar was not too happy with some of them which were made by some sketchy people he hired to build them when he was sick. I had to fix a lot of those. Wish Cesar was still here he would certainly find something SPECIAL to say
;)

You must know the Tremodillo was based on the Kay trem . It was not CD's pedal. I had a Tremodillo that broke 3 times in one month. I gave it away.

Am I wrong?

• Members

I can't comment about circuit boards. I will say that a fellow forumite loaned me an old style large box Swamp Thang. It is a beautiful trem. John Spears at Monstereffects is my friend and is needed for my sound.

He led the way, I just took the chance. :D

• Members

Originally posted by gil1

Plus I bought it used, and the guy wouldn't even take a look at it to make sure it was working OK. Wouldn't stand behind his product.

I can't believe John wouldn't take a look at it. Besides, do you think Z-Vex or Fuller would work on a pedal someone bought second hand?

• Members

Originally posted by Upgrade

I have the Swamp Thang and the Empress both.

I love em both for different reasons. If I could only have one it's the Empress but The Swamp is really good.

Interesting, Upgrade! Would you say the Swamp Thang does its trick (the asymmetrical brownface trem) better than the Empress?

Or, how do they differ enough to defend keeping both? ;)

Btw.

Gainsters Swamp Thang clips sound very good but the reverb (Blue Angel?) maybe makes them a little more deceptive (more swampy) compared to clips recorded dry (Empress etc).

Just a thought.

http://www6.streamload.com/Nodes/Node.asp?cxInstID=84860558&nodeID=575398962

• Members

Originally posted by Rasta Shaft

I can't believe John wouldn't take a look at it. Besides, do you think Z-Vex or Fuller would work on a pedal someone bought second hand?

Maybe not Fuller, but I have no doubt that zvex would. They repaired one of my units and never asked whether I was the original owner. (I was, but that's beside the point.) They had great service, too.

• Members

Z-Vex did fix my 2nd hand FuzzFactory. Fuller does. MonsterEffects wouldn't, I offered money, nope.

I am just saying what my experience was. Just the facts, Man.

• Members

Yes Mike Fuller would.And yes Mike Fuller did..Mike even repaired pedals of his I sold on Ebay.Actually contacted me and told to to tell the buyer he would.

I bought a {censored}ed up Deja-2 here in this very forum for $75 that was shot due to users fault.Mike sent it back to me in mint condition..

Your mileage may vary..

• Members

Originally posted by The Gainster

You must know the Tremodillo was based on the Kay trem . It was not CD's pedal. I had a Tremodillo that broke 3 times in one month. I gave it away.

Am I wrong?

It's not cool to rip off a dead guy, one who BARELY survived

a transplant and though barely able to function afterwards worked his ass off to try to pay his medical bills, and ultimately had to choose death rather than a 2nd transplant to save his family more agony and endless bills.

It's cool to "copy" a Kay but "illegal" to copy the layout of a circuit board that someone else created (circuits are not protected but the traces are protected with copyright laws).

Keith

• Members

Agreed but if I remember correctly, the Swamp Thang didn't even come out until Cesar was dead. Also, the Tremodillo was no longer in production when the Swamp thang came out.

Well, I guess that makes it all ok then.... :confused: ... you can't get much lower than direct copying of a PCB layout, a completely different matter to copying a circuit (believe it or not).

• Members

this thread came at a great time. i'm buying a new amp that doesn't have tremolo built in and i think i need a pedal.

i think i want to buy used, but there isn't a huge selection on ebay. just a few EH pulsars and some boss trems.

anyone looking to sell a trem i'm a very interested potential buyer.

• Members

Originally posted by unbeliever

Well, I guess that makes it all ok then....
:confused:
... you can't get much lower than direct copying of a PCB layout, a completely different matter to copying a circuit (believe it or not).

What about amp builders that clone Marshall and Fender Tweed layouts....are they low as they get also....:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by threm

Interesting, Upgrade! Would you say the Swamp Thang does its trick (the asymmetrical brownface trem) better than the Empress?

Or, how do they differ enough to defend keeping both?
;)

Btw.

Gainsters Swamp Thang clips sound very good but the reverb (Blue Angel?) maybe makes them a little more deceptive (more swampy) compared to clips recorded dry (Empress etc).

Just a thought.

http://www6.streamload.com/Nodes/Node.asp?cxInstID=84860558&nodeID=575398962

To my humble ear the Swamp is more brown and the Empress more blackface trem but the Empress does some incredible stuff and goes where no trem has gone-except maybe the Cusack which I have not tried. The Swamp Thang is a one trick pony but it's a sweet trick! For comparison I played with a Seek Trem and really prefer the Empress even if they were the same price and the Empress is much less.

That's my take but I'm sure you will find may trem opinions here. . . BmoreTele has tried a boat load!

Archived