I find I want a Swamp Thang tremolo.

papa taco

• Members

I was also considering the Demeter and the Empress. The Demeter sounds nice but it's more of a blackface trem and I prefer the warmer, more subtle brown tolex fender tone of the Swamp Thang. The Empress looks killer, and it has an assymetrical mode which is modelled after a brown Fender, and it has options out the ying yang with tap tempo, dual speeds that ramp between them, rhythmic patterns blah blah blah. I listened to the clips and although those are some cool features and it sounds nice, it sounds a bit too transparent to me. And tap tempo trem doesn't seem overly useful to me. Half the fun of trem is the vibe you get from it NOT being in sync with everything else.

The Swamp Thang has something going on that just oozes a delta blues vibe. It sounds humid, swampy and beautiful. I hear it in the clips on the Monster Effects site and I hear it in Gainster's clips too.

That is all. Thanks for listening.

taco

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have the Line6 tap trem, and really, having a tap-trem is kind of pointless in my opinion. It's almost impossible to tap exactly in time with a drummer, and so it's usually off after a few seconds anyway. Plus it's hard to tap fast enough for the really...fast...trems.

• Members

Originally posted by jackpotjewell

I have the Line6 tap trem, and really, having a tap-trem is kind of pointless in my opinion. It's almost impossible to tap exactly in time with a drummer, and so it's usually off after a few seconds anyway. Plus it's hard to tap fast enough for the really...fast...trems.

Yeah, I agree. I do like the Swamp Thang's half-speed switch idea. I think I could make that work for me. Even if I don't use it, damn that pedal sounds great. I will have to bite soon and buy.

taco

• Members

you need to really try one before you bite dude, i have tested 3 and alls seem to have insonsistencies. the intensity in one of them did do anything until like 1:30, another speed was really slow even in the "fast" setting and the knob cranked. but it does have a certain slushinees to it that mkes it sound good. but those inconsistencies kill me.

• Members

Originally posted by mumford

Tremolo is cool, but I never end up using tempo-dependant effects much for that reason Bob Dylan posted above.

It's nice to see two people w/ such vast differences in height, can agree on some things. Thanks for being on my side, scene from "Shaun of the Dead"

• Members

Originally posted by usa83strat

you need to really try one before you bite dude, i have tested 3 and alls seem to have insonsistencies. the intensity in one of them did do anything until like 1:30, another speed was really slow even in the "fast" setting and the knob cranked. but it does have a certain slushinees to it that mkes it sound good. but those inconsistencies kill me.

Hmm...they don't sell em near me. Maybe axeandyoushallreceive.com has a decent return policy should I find the pedal sucks the living {censored} out of indigenous pigmies.

• Members

Originally posted by agentcooper2001

consider the Frantone Vibutron. It's the best trem I've ever used and yes, I had the Swamp Thang. In fact, I had two of them and both had a loud pop when engaged. The Frantone sounds better and is more versatile.

Can it do that sweaty luscious brown trem thing? I've heard they're good but have never heard a clip or anything.

I had a Frantone Sweet once which was a very nice looking well built pedal. Tonally, it wasn't what I was looking for. Overpriced for what it was IMO.

• Members

I had one, the inconsistancies drove me nuts. The controls wouldn't work at all for much of the turn, then kick in. Just odd.

Plus I bought it used, and the guy wouldn't even take a look at it to make sure it was working OK. Wouldn't stand behind his product.

I learned later that in fact the controls did work that way on that trem, they were just quirky and anoying.

• Members

Menatone Pleasure Trem is the best I've heard-- does subtle Fender trem and total square wave chop both. I've tried to sell it, but only because I have a Seek-Trem and don't need two tremolos.

You wanna borrow and check it out, Taco, it's yours for the price of shipping.

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

Menatone Pleasure Trem is the best I've heard-- does subtle Fender trem and total square wave chop both. I've tried to sell it, but only because I have a Seek-Trem and don't need two tremolos.

You wanna borrow and check it out, Taco, it's yours for the price of shipping.

Jeez, that's a nice offer. Let me think about that and get back to you. If I decide to keep it, what would you want for it? And do you take paypal? Finally, where the flying salami are you located?

taco

:wave:

• Members

Anybody try a Kaden Fluttertone? I like the clips. Not as swampy as the Swamp Thang, but nice and vintagy still. I like the small price and the small footprint.

I don't really need major helicopter chop. I like something that sounds like amp trem, not pedal trem.

Trems I've owned:

Voodoo Labs 4 knobber. I hated this one. It just sounded hollow and sterile to me.

Boss TR-2. Not bad, pretty versatile with the switchable wave function, but the volume drop bugs the {censored} out of me. I could get an AM or Keeley mod, but I still think that tonally I can do better (or at least have a more convincing amp-style trem).

taco

• Members

I`ve got the

Demeter

Supra Trem

Vibutron

HBE Tramp

Toneczar Powerglide

Valverb

CAE Super Tremolo

Trem in the Juke amp

still

my intuition (only from hearing clips) tells me that the Swamp Thang is more up my alley than any other (included the Cusack and Empress)

• Members

Originally posted by phishmarisol

The Kaden is a solid trem. Much more versatile than the Swamp Thang. Sounds great too. But not as good as the Pentavocal.

So why don't you like Red Witch?

I told you, Trey, I don't DEAL with the devil.

;)

Can the Red Witch do vintagey goodness?

• Members

Originally posted by threm

I`ve got the

Demeter

Supra Trem

Vibutron

HBE Tramp

Toneczar Powerglide

Valverb

CAE Super Tremolo

Trem in the Juke amp

still

my intuition (only from hearing clips) tells me that the Swamp Thang is more up my alley than any other (included the Cusack and Empress)

Yep, despite the bad things I read about the Swamp Thang like screwy controls that are only useful within small ranges or loud pops when engaging or not very versatile, it seems to OUTMOJO the rest.

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

it seems to OUTMOJO the rest.

Congrats, Taco!

prize.jpg

Googling proves that you have invented a new sensible and usefull verb

To outmojo

But will the Ultrem outmojo the Swamp Thang ...

Archived