Best Bass Player

DevilRaysFan

• Members
Originally posted by BonsoWonderDog

I had a 12 string for a while - it was a huge sound but quite hard to play.

I'm all for odd instruments and such but....a real bass does not have 12 strings. nor does it have 5 strings. I think if a bass player wants to be a guitar player and strum chords they should learn how to play a guitar. and if they want to reach 20Hz with a low 'B' they should get a bass synth.

[/soapbox]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by mono boy

I'm all for odd instruments and such but....a
real
bass does not have 12 strings. nor does it have 5 strings. I think if a bass player wants to be a guitar player and strum chords they should learn how to play a guitar. and if they want to reach 20Hz with a low 'B' they should get a bass synth.

[/soapbox]

You also don't consider Geddy Lee to be a bass player. I play a 6 string, does that make me a wannabe guitarist or a bass synth?

You have some interesting ideas, but they're a bit narrow minded. As an instrument like any other, the electric bass has developed and changed since the time of its inception. Somehow I don't think everyone still playing original Percision basses as Leo Fender invented them would be quite as interesting as the variety of instruments you get today.

• Members
Originally posted by NeonVomit

You have some interesting ideas, but they're a bit narrow minded. As an instrument like any other, the electric bass has developed and changed since the time of its inception.

fair enough. what feels good to you is the most important thing. whether you get fullfillment out of playing a 12 string bass or a tin can nobody can argue with you from an artistic point of view. in that way I don't consider myself narrow minded.

that said, many instruments have stood the test of time and remain in heavy use in the basic form in which they were perfected. violin or trumpet come to mind. or a classic guitar. and I would predict the P-bass, fender rhodes and mini moog. I think instruments that stand the test of time do so because they become interwoven into the cultural fabric of a musical form and/or they simply mix well with other instruments. whether a 12 string bass will be widely used in 100 years is impossible to predict. I look at it as more of a flashy fringe instrument. but only time will tell.

and of course the musical world is changing rapidly making many of these discussions moot. but it's fun to engage in them nonetheless...:)
/jonny

• Members

I'm all for odd instruments and such but....a
real
bass does not have 12 strings. nor does it have 5 strings. I think if a bass player wants to be a guitar player and strum chords they should learn how to play a guitar. and if they want to reach 20Hz with a low 'B' they should get a bass synth.

[/soapbox]

Having 12 strings doesn't necessarily mean you have to play chords as such, as you're actually playing the same note, just octaves apart.

But he does actually play a lot of chords ;-)

D

• Members

But he does actually play a lot of chords ;-)

naturally. it's self-focused playing. it's fun for the individual but won't garner a large audience. it's not because life is unfair or that people can't appreciate virtuosity---it's that good songs played with some space for the ideas to breathe are always the most relevant and have the most staying power. of course there are those infatuated with the notion that degree of difficulty makes something 'good'. I certainly can't fault skilled players for being attracted to the idea. why shouldn't they get to have a good time? more power to em' if that's what makes em' happy. I tend to look at things as a songwriter first is all. we musicians are slaves to the song. the song is bigger then we are. that's the way I see it at least.

what's funny about this discussion is that I'm going to Germany to visit family and will be playing a bar or two. so I'm learning some covers: hank williams, elvis, willy nelson, beatles, U2. the timeless melodies and lyrics in the songs aren't accompanied by some guy banging away on a 12 string bass. I'll tell you that much. maybe if they're played by a 'pro' session guy on american idol. but not in real life. and I'll leave it at that...
/jonny

• Members

Aren't I the audience? I like his playing.

and I'm guessing you're a bass player and are impressed with what he does technically or with the sonic extent to which he takes his instrument. sweet. but neither of those things are strongly related to the song itself. that's all I'm sayin'. I'm not trying to hate on virtuosos and fancy wankers out there. more power to em' for all that hard work they put in. I hope having a signature instrument at guitar center named after them makes em' happy.
/jonny

• Members

and I'm guessing you're a bass player and are impressed with what he does technically or with the sonic extent to which he takes his instrument. sweet. but neither of those things are strongly related to the song itself. that's all I'm sayin'. I'm not trying to hate on virtuosos and fancy wankers out there. more power to em' for all that hard work they put in. I hope having a signature instrument at guitar center named after them makes em' happy.

/jonny

No, I'm a keyboard/sax player that used to try his hand at bass.

Hey I think anyone reading this thread would be seriously bored by this 2-way conversation, so let's end it here.

D

• Members
Originally posted by StompBoxLover

p.s.

that sigur ros dude... yeah right.

he does what few musicians have the balls to do---shows restraint and makes simple parts sound very interesting. perfect for that particular music. of course, it helps if you like sigur ros and/or have ever seen them live.:)