need a good fuzz pedal

• Members

I need to get a good fuzz pedal that will work for guitar and bass. I had a Big Muff years back, and hated how muddy it was. Im not looking to spend more than $150 as well. I play mostly post-rockish instrumental type music similar to explosions in the sky and mogwai.

Can anybody recommend one for me?

• Members

I would highly reccomend before getting rid of the big muff, add a few mods;

-new cap in the tone stack, instead of the stock pedal which has a scooped mid tone, you can give it a flat or large mid hump, gets rid of the unwanted muddyness, sounds increadable. I love mine with a mid hump, gets lots of compliments.

-blend pot, lets you blend your clean signal with the fuzz, is necessary for any bass fuzz, I wouldn't get a fuzz for bass w/o a blend option.

• Members

Originally posted by StratAtak83

try out the new little big muff out .. its worth it ..

Paired with my zoom ulltra fuzz, i've conquered the fuzz world. .

Do you play with the UltraFuzz in a band? How do you find it for cutting through? I just sold mine on since I couldn't get it to poke out through the rest of the band, without completely filling up the whole world! Great fun pedal, but it didn't work for me.

On a similar line then, where would you find info on which cap to change in a big muff to get a mid hump? My Muff is somewhat unloved for much the same reasons as I shifted the ultra-fuzz.

• Members

Originally posted by MrBulbous

On a similar line then, where would you find info on which cap to change in a big muff to get a mid hump? My Muff is somewhat unloved for much the same reasons as I shifted the ultra-fuzz.

There should be a cap labled 103 (10n) near where your tone pot is attached to the pcb. Replace it with a 102 (1n) cap. ~I did this to the russian bm, but it should work on any muff. You won't be dissappointed w/ this mod. clears things up a lot, no more mud.

• Members

Originally posted by Ascension Dream

I need to get a good fuzz pedal that will work for guitar and bass. I had a Big Muff years back, and hated how muddy it was. Im not looking to spend more than $150 as well. I play mostly post-rockish instrumental type music similar to explosions in the sky and mogwai.

Bee-Baa or Barge Concepts clone?

• Members

Originally posted by Bruno

On a serious not the orange Ibanez Overdrive pedal is a bad motherf#cker.

You should check one of those guys out.

Indeed. My OD-850 is a permanent fixture on my board.

I have to say, that if my 850 ever completely died, i'd take a look at the MG effects McFulleez (or whatever the {censored} it's called). The clips i heard sounded a lot like the OD-850.

• Members

what fuzz do you want? it sounds like you are looking for a muff or some version of it?

• Members

Originally posted by fusionid

what fuzz do you want? it sounds like you are looking for a muff or some version of it?

basically a muff that isnt muddy. i dont know of any places around here that mod pedals as well...and i tend to break stuff or burn myself whenever i work with anything, so i'd prefer not to mod it myself

• Members

never tried it i'm afraid! just going on recommendations that i've heard, and the sound clips sound great and not at all muddy.

i got the tonefactor analogue filter which is a wonderful pedal so if their quality control is the same across the board...

• Members

Originally posted by freeridstylee

There should be a cap labled 103 (10n) near where your tone pot is attached to the pcb. Replace it with a 102 (1n) cap. ~I did this to the russian bm, but it should work on any muff. You won't be dissappointed w/ this mod. clears things up a lot, no more mud.

Cheers! I'll try it. :thu:

• Members

EITS use a Proco Rat, coupled with a Boss RV-5 reverb and/or an Ibanez DE7 delay, it all sounds wonderfully huge. :)

otherwise, Little Big Muff from what i've been hearing.

Archived