just brought home a deluxe reverb reissue....

ode2no1

• Members
Originally posted by
JimAnsell

i just got a drri too, and i was suprised how great it sounded even with all the stock eh and sovteks.

In terms of sound quality, I can't fault the EHs. I tried some JJs too, but didn't like them (a bit harsh and 6L6ish).

I've heard some horror stories about the EHs wrt reliability - and I did pop one once - but they sure do sound sweet...

• Members

I'm sure you could get significantly more volume out of your DRRI by putting in a more efficient speaker. Look into some of the higher sensitivity Webers or Eminence speakers.

I also like your idea of adding a second DRRI. Then you have backup if one should blow up on you.

taco

• Members

well i just compared the volume of my bassman and DRRI. i have a 4x12 marshall cab and since its stereo i used the two left speakers for the bassman and the two right ones for the DRRI. ok so the verdict......almost the exact same volume! the bassman has a bit bolder of a tone though...more low midrange. but yeah the DRRI is just barely quiter...and its only noticable because of the different frequencies coming from the amps. the DRRI is sweeter sounding all around though. the bassman, while a bit more full sounding, also had more harsh high end which couldnt be dialed out without turning the treble down to where the tone was muddy. ive yet to play my pedals thru it though. i have to clean up my garage a little bit to bring my board and 2x12 cab (which ive been using exclusively lately) inside. 6V6's are so amazing! in regards to the fx loop question...no there is no loop. i used to play a marshall TSL and when i sold it i really missed having a loop...and i REALLY missed having a footswitchable one at that. ive gotten used to it though. its been over a year since ive had a loop and while you might not have the super hi-fi quality when it comes to delays, you adjust. and since youve never had a loop it shouldnt matter much anyway.

• Members
Originally posted by TheToneGestapo

The 6L6s won't put out much more power than 6V6s when they are supplied the same voltage. There's a reason the power transformer is bigger on +40W 6L6 amps. I don't think a mod is a good idea.

An amp with 4 6v6s would be pretty cool.

Tell that to Pete Anderson...

You will get more bottom end and more headroom...

I have an amp w/ 4 6v6's and two 6l's still have more headroom.

:)

• Members

Simply installing 6L6s really wont give you much more power...BUT...a ss recitier and 6L6s will make a significant difference. You can get into the 30w neighborhood.
OT power handling starts to come into play.........Haven't lost one yet! :D

*knocks on wood*

• Members
Originally posted by ode2no1

yeah the clean on the DRRI is amazing. the amp is just so responsive. im literally going to clean up my blues junior either tomorrow after work or wednesday (my day off) and plan to sell it.

Please let me know (PM or email) when you decide to sell the blues jr.

• Members

the first pedal i plugged into it was actually a fuzz face i built and while i dont use that pedal very often i thought it sounded pretty damn good thru it. then again, my bassman took to the FF as well, so ive never had an issue with fenders not liking it.

• Members

There is a guy (who's name I can't think of now) that does a mod for this where he replaces the crappy circuitboard Fender uses in these and makes it a point to point handwired amp for around $300 or so.
This makes it much more reliable, and much easier to fix if you ever have a problem.

Even stock, these things sound great, especially the vibrato channel, the reverb & tremolo (both footswitchable) are amazing.

My next big purchase, (though my Boogie amp isn't going anywhere).

• Members

yeah ive heard of that....but it seems kind of pointless. i mean not pointless, but in that case you just paid $800 for a fender combo cabinet. i honestly love the amp the way it is. i wish my SF bassman had reverb and vibrato...

• Members
Originally posted by SASQUATCH

There is a guy (who's name I can't think of now) that does a mod for this where he replaces the crappy circuitboard Fender uses in these and makes it a point to point handwired amp for around $300 or so.

This makes it much more reliable, and much easier to fix if you ever have a problem.

Wow, that makes no sense. Pay $300 so you amp will be easier to fix "if" it breaks down later, right :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

I've been thinking about trading my '73 Twin for a DR, but I wanted a pre-CBS DR. Unfortunately, I don't really have any money to put into it. Am I just being a geeky, snobby, dumbass? Would I be happy with the DRRI and a few tweaks?

I found a 1975 silverface for $575 and is is near mint. Someone put a Greenback in there, but it is a point to point wired amp and it has that killer tone. I can easily blackface it, but it sounds so good I don't see a reason to do it..... :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by
SASQUATCH

There's very little evidence to suggest that there's anything wrong with the PCB in the DRRI. Many people have owned these amps for years without any PCB-related problems (although there are always exceptions, as with PTP).

The DRRI's reputation for being unreliable comes mostly from the early days of production (1990s), where there were no good quality new 6V6s available. The early new-production Sovtek tubes were often not capable of taking the DRRI's higher plate voltage and thus would often blow, sometimes taking a screen resistor out at the same time. The newer production Sovtek tubes (the Electro-Harmonix type) are thought to be far more reliable - though not perfect, obviously (I