just brought home a deluxe reverb reissue....

ode2no1

• Members

holy crap is this amp amazing. i got one of those 20% off coupons for spending gobs of money at GC last year (which is funny cause i got most of the stuff at like 5% above cost since a few friends worked there) so i had planned on replacing my blues junior. i originally wanted to grab an ac15cc but that amp was an incredible let down. anyway i took the DRRI home and i cant get over how great it sounds. my blues junior is going up on ebay as soon as i clean it up a bit and take pictures. anyway i only wish fender made this amp in a 50 watt version so i could use it with my band. i have a SF bassman that im using right now, but the drri is like the holy grail. anybody know of an amp thats EXTREMELY similar? i know fender makes some other higher rated amps but theyre all 6l6 based and i like the sound of the 6v6's. blah blah blah....point of this story is: go buy a DRRI right now. NOW!

• Members

i dunno i guess my band is pretty damn loud. we've never felt comfortable playing at low volumes....and its not like we're TRYING to be loud on purpose, it just doesnt feel right if we're not. we're not some like noise rock band either. i'll see if i can make it work but i highly doubt it. maybe if we set up closer together or something....and now we have a second guitarist so i wont have to fill so much space. about the 6L6 mod....i really like the way the 6V6's sound...which is why i didnt just buy a twin or vibrolux reverb. im actually thinking about maybe buying another DRRI and using two amps for more volume.

• Members

well 6L6's are higher powered so it would be more like 30-50 watts rather than 22. i guess i could also get a cooler set of 6v6's from eurotubes. i STILL cant get over how great the amp sounds. maybe its the tube rectifier? it just feels good. i like how the amp sort of "gives" when i strum hard.

• Members

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

I've been thinking about trading my '73 Twin for a DR...

I'm on the same boat...love my Twin but I wanna buy another smaller amp.

I'm thinkin' Blues Jr. or Silverface Deluxe.

Is DR much louder than Blues Jr.?

As a long time Twin player don't have much experience with smaller amps...

• Members

I don't play my Blues Junior. Haven't turned it on in months. Maybe it's because I play HBs but the thing is just too damn boxy and farts out on the neck pickup, even with a Jensen C12N replacement. I picked up a SF Musicmaster amp for like 1/2 the secondhand cost of a BJ and IMO it blows it away. Well sell them both at the end of the year to fund a stint overseas but will likely look into the DRRI when I get back.

• Members

DRRI has far more clean headroom than the blues JR which'll breakup quicker. They're different beasts really...they overdrive differently, cleans are richer on the DR....

I'm not that partial to the stock blues JR....but the DRRI has superb cleans. I find myself comparing all cleans to it, and am consistently dissapointed with others. The vibrato/reverb is very nice as well...

I've heard some tube upgrades can make a difference...I'm gunna play around with some pre tube swaps & see if the hype's warranted....

edit: I've found the DR to be picky with pedals...I dunno -- some highly regarded dirt boxes I don't really like with it (direct drive, KOB)... I've settled on a FD-2 and a muff for my DR dirt...they mesh well and give a fair bit of variety IMO.

• Members

yeah the clean on the DRRI is amazing. the amp is just so responsive. im literally going to clean up my blues junior either tomorrow after work or wednesday (my day off) and plan to sell it. i modded it to sound more full and a bit less boxy, but i just dont need two small amps. about mic'ing the amp for gigs...thats all fine and dandy cause everything is always mic'd on stage, but what about rehearsal? if i cant hear myself at rehearsal then its pointless. i cant really comment on how it takes pedals yet cause my main pedalboard is at my drummers house right now. ill go pick it up tomorrow to mess with it and see if using it for my band would even be a possibility with my current board. if not, im pretty happy with my bassman....though it doesnt really compare to the DRRI. it works for my band though. and yea, the blues junior isnt even in the same league. i mean they sound absolutely nothing alike.

• Members

Originally posted by ode2no1

well 6L6's are higher powered so it would be more like 30-50 watts rather than 22. i guess i could also get a cooler set of 6v6's from eurotubes. i STILL cant get over how great the amp sounds. maybe its the tube rectifier? it just feels good. i like how the amp sort of "gives" when i strum hard.

The 6L6s won't put out much more power than 6V6s when they are supplied the same voltage. There's a reason the power transformer is bigger on +40W 6L6 amps. I don't think a mod is a good idea.

An amp with 4 6v6s would be pretty cool.

• Members

i just got a drri too, and i was suprised how great it sounded even with all the stock eh and sovteks. mine came with a jensen ceramic in it though.

it sounded every bit as good as the silverface(modden to bf specs) i used to have, as well as the ptp tubegarden DR clone i used to have.

i think i'm gunna keep her.