Need help from TS-9 Gurus

• Members

Hi,

I have just bought a second hand real vintage Ibanez TS-9. Its serial no begins with 1xxxx, black label with grey battery clip, indicating that it is one of the earliest TS-9s. But it has this chip installed(rather than JRC4558D) which I have never heard of RC4558N. What do you TS poeple think of it?

By the way this pedal produces the best sounds I have ever experienced. Real thick and ear filling. Someone kick me by the balls for not purchasing one 15 years ago when I first started playing.

Your opinions welcome..

• Members

Originally posted by MidnightOil

Hi,

I have just bought a second hand real vintage Ibanez TS-9. Its serial no begins with 1xxxx, black label with grey battery clip, indicating that it is one of the earliest TS-9s. But it has this chip installed(rather than JRC4558D) which I have never heard of RC4558N. What do you TS poeple think of it?

By the way this pedal produces the best sounds I have ever experienced. Real thick and ear filling. Someone kick me by the balls for not purchasing one 15 years ago when I first started playing.

Your opinions welcome..

It was my understanding that only the 808 came with the JRC4558 chip -- they changed it with the TS-9. I know the reissue TS-9's come with the TA75558 chip -- I'm not sure if that's a change from original specs, though. Experts?

• Members

Contrary to what you will read in some places there was never a definitive TS chip. For whatever reason, probably the fact that it was discontinued and then re-issued under a new name, the JRC4558D gets all the hype.

There were loads of chips used in the originals, pretty much whatever Maxon could get their hands on cheaply. The most common are the JRC4558D, RC4558, JRC2043 and also the TA75558P that appears almost exclusively in the later models and the 9 RI.

The JRC4558 and RC4558 are considered by most people to be the best, but it's purely subjective

• Members

The original TS-9 (roughly '83 - '85) came with three different op-amp circuits, probably depending on which manufacturer was the cheapest at any given time. The two most common variants was the JRC2043DD and the TA75558P, with the former chip usually found in the earlier pedals. The later pedals all had the TA75558P. Somewhere in the middle of the production run, a few batches were shipped with the JRC4558D, which is the circuit most people seem to think sounds best.

All the reissue TS-9's (1993 onwards) have the TA75558P.

The original run of TS-808's also came with three different op-amps: the JRC4558D, the RC4558P and the TL4558P.

Edit: Ah, beaten to the punch by Cruachan... anyway :D

/Andreas

Archived