Dubbers & Toasters ... lounge!

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

You're right mate ... I understood the first time but you are a bass player first so you'd be ahead of me anyway in bass knowledge in terms of speakers and cabs etc ... aside from the person you asked who was expert so I was merely saying your opinion was as important to me as the person you went to.
:thu:

Who was the person you asked by the way?

Got it!
My boss.....James Demeter. He knows a thing or two about bass gear!
:thu: :thu:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

About 5 years ago I was shopping at one of my all time favorite thrift stores back in Big D. Checking through the records as I always did I pretty much happened upon what would soon be 75% of my Dub vinyl collection. Yabby U, Mad Proffessor, King Tubby, The original black ark album, tonnes of stuff all with the jamaican record store price tags still on them. they cost me .50 each. For some reason I left the Yellowman record behind.

It's the same thrift store where I scored a mint "Bob Moog styled" Maestro FZ-1 Fuzz pedal for $1.97. I miss that place...

• Members

Still would like to hear from anyone making dub in Protools or Logic...

Also, this music was made under the influence of ganja, anybody like to listen to it sober? I used to love to smoke and listen to dub- it really worked. Now I've been clean for almost a year, not sure I can separate the two.

• Members

Originally posted by slideroni

S

Also, this music was made under the influence of ganja, anybody like to listen to it sober?

That's a total myth ... allot of the best mixers and toasters at the sliders were completely straight men --- Lee Perry doesn't touch weed man ... hilarious but true! He is like a paternal grandfather in the studio bossing people around apparently. I listen to Dub completely sober all the time ... makes no difference to how I dig it ... the MUSIC is the mind alterer.

• Members

That's a total myth ... allot of the best mixers and toasters at the sliders were completely straight men --- Lee Perry doesn't touch weed man ... hilarious but true! He is like a paternal grandfather in the studio bossing people around apparently. I listen to Dub completely sober all the time ... makes no difference to how I dig it ... the MUSIC is the mind alterer.

Never ever touched the {censored} so BANG GOES THAT THEORY!
Drive through!
:wave: :wave:

• Members

If I was smoking weed I'd be embarrassed to put on any kind of reggae. I'd just feel like some sort of whiteboy dread cliche. I once got high and listened to Tori Amos- Scarlet's Walk, which is a later album after she'd got over all the stuff about rape and wanking off to jesus fantasies. That was very cool.

BTW Tiki, the Gragory Isaacs track is called "Leggo Beast"

• Members
Originally posted by bentley

I've got the Trojan Dub boxset Volume 1

It's awesome. I {censored}ing love when they run snares through spring reverb and you get that big splash sound.

ISN'T THAT AMAZING THAT BOX SET!?
:thu:

• Members

Are you sure you're not thinking about King Tubby? He was notorious about not touching pot and not allowing it in the studio, but I distinctly remember seeing a whole bunch of photos of Lee Perry with rather large spliffs.

• Members

Originally posted by VotaIdiota

Are you sure you're not thinking about King Tubby? He was notorious about not touching pot and not allowing it in the studio, but I distinctly remember seeing a whole bunch of photos of Lee Perry with rather large spliffs.

Yeah this comes from people like Adrian Sherwood and Keith Levine who worked with Perry in the studio on stuff ... yeah they were saying he didn't touch weed and was very father like ... bossing peeps about. This may have been a period where he had knocked dope on the head but it's also true that many toasters and dub artists don't always smoke herb ... it's just a nonsense.

• Members

Yeah this comes from people like Adrian Sherwood and Keith Levine who worked with Perry in the studio on stuff ... yeah they were saying he didn't touch weed and was very father like ... bossing peeps about. This may have been a period where he had knocked dope on the head but it's also true that many toasters and dub artists don't always smoke herb ... it's just a nonsense.

Yeah, I've never understood that whole stigma. I can't tell you how many times people have looked through my record collection and then are absolutely shocked when they find out I don't do drugs.

I guess I just failed to ever think a connection between the two was necessary.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I just wanted to add to the praise for the Trojan Dub box set Volume 1. It really is a nice primer for different dub artists and MCs.

The keyboardist in my band picked up a Trojan box set of different rocksteady artists doing Motown songs, which is soooo good.

Archived