Dubbers & Toasters ... lounge!

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Just recently came back from my girls home island of Mauritius where they have their own special brand of local music similar to Dub and Reggae called Sega and a dub version called Seggae ... bought allot of jams over there and taped allot of the classical and contemporary Indian music which mixes with the creole language into Sega and Segae. All this got me back into my Dub roots collections and the early PIL and Jah Wobble stuff that later drifts into Bill Laswell, Adrian Sherwood and Creation Rebel, Dub Syndicate and the like. So in going back further been listening to allot of Black Ark stuff tonight Lee Scratch Perry et al.

Anybody else into heavy mind altering dub? My faves are as mentioned but more or less ...

King Tubby

Lee Perry

Rasta Far I

Creation Rebel

Dub Syndicate

Scientist

PIL

Jah Wobble

Style Scott

Some other great comps are X-ray Dub and DubMission - I also get a big kick out of early Grace Jones Island Life period also - what a {censored}in band!

So dubbers and toasters, what's your taste cause it is bless!

:cool:

Born in Kingston Jamaica....
I {censored} YOU NOT!
Wobble.
UB40 before they went GAY!
Yellowman.
Steel Pulse.
Bill Laswell.
The Upsetters.
Sly & Robbie.
Augustus Pablo.
The Silvertones.
ETC!
:wave: :wave:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by adolf

Born in Kingston Jamaica....

I {censored} YOU NOT!

Wobble.

UB40 before they went GAY!

Yellowman.

Steel Pulse.

Bill Laswell.

The Upsetters.

Sly & Robbie.

Augustus Pablo.

The Silvertones.

ETC!

:wave:

You would know Adrian Sherwoods stuff then?

• Members

love the dub!!!!!!
and ive even recently been considering changing my name to jah..
im not joking!!!
there is a reggae show on the local radio station here, and the DJ has a great catalogue of old dub, always hearing something new.....

• Members

:thu:

Don Letts anyone? African Head Charge? Dub Syndicate?

Did you get the PM?

Yeah what I wrote in my first post ... African Head Charge is the {censored} too. Yeah got your PM will get back to you - was surprised you were suggesting an 80 rms rather than something with allot more speaker headroom like 150 + or something. :)

• Members
Originally posted by 5macca

love the dub!!!!!!

and ive even recently been considering changing my name to jah..

im not joking!!!

there is a reggae show on the local radio station here, and the DJ has a great catalogue of old dub, always hearing something new.....

Who are you into ... what's your taste? :cool:

• Members

Yeah what I wrote in my first post ... African Head Charge is the {censored} too. Yeah got your PM will get back to you - was surprised you were suggesting an 80 rms rather than something with allot more speaker headroom like 150 + or something.
:)

Trust me....
This comes from an EXPERT....Not my dumb {censored} opinion!

• Members

Trust me....

This comes from an EXPERT....Not my dumb {censored} opinion!

No mate, it was a question but not questioning your opinion as you've probably got allot more knowledge on bass and gear than I do certainly ... but if the 80 watt Celestion is the best option for my requirements I'll go for it. What was the opinion of this expert regarding the sealed cab though with 212's?

Check this live clip of African Head Charge! :thu:

• Members

Who are you into ... what's your taste?

just the usual suspects really.... nothing obscure or too out of the ordinary..... king tubby, scratch perry etc...
lots of comps and random songs...
ive only really been getting into it over the past year or so... but man, once your in theres no going back :cool:
theres so much stuff to search thru....
i heard a tune not long ago incorporating the twinkly guitar riff from Sonic Youth's 'shadow of a doubt' into a dub like stance...
cant remember who it was by, but i found it interesting....

• Members
Originally posted by 5macca

just the usual suspects really.... nothing obscure or too out of the ordinary..... king tubby, scratch perry etc...

lots of comps and random songs...

ive only really been getting into it over the past year or so... but man, once your in theres no going back
theres so much stuff to search thru....

i heard a tune not long ago incorporating the twinkly guitar riff from Sonic Youth's 'shadow of a doubt' into a dub like stance...

cant remember who it was by, but i found it interesting....

Make sure you check the names on my original list in the first post ... MAJOR importance in Dub ... you will need to get your ears around all the early Creation Rebel and Dub Syndicate stuff - look specifically for the late 70's early 80's stuff as it's closest to the Black Ark sound of Scratch Perry and has incredible players ... :thu:

• Members

Adolf ...

Check this, if you haven't heard of them or gotten into them YOU HAVE TO BUY THE ALBUM! ... This is from Damage Manual a band of Jah Wobble, Geordie Walker and Martin Atkins plus a guy singing from Pigface I believe ... GREAT RECORD!

This is a studio clip of Wob playing and chatting in the album sessions with his Ovation Viper bass ... that's the one Ovation solid guitar I am missing. :thu:

And this the full song clip from Damage Manual - Sunset Gun.

• Members

No mate, it was a question but not questioning your opinion as you've probably got allot more knowledge on bass and gear than I do certainly ... but if the 80 watt Celestion is the best option for my requirements I'll go for it. What was the opinion of this expert regarding the sealed cab though with 212's?

Check this live clip of African Head Charge!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7jG83IFGK8&search=African%20Head%20Charge

Sorry...
Should have been more specific....
I asked said expert(NOT ME....I AM A HACK BASS PLAYER) about your entire set up...IE amps, sealed cab and so on...Those were the two options...
80's being the best for THAT cab.
Sorry for the confusion.{censored} I AM SOOOOOOOOOO TIRED!
:thu: :thu:
WAY COOL CLIP!

• Members

Make sure you check the names on my original list in the first post ... MAJOR importance in Dub ... you will need to get your ears around all the early Creation Rebel and Dub Syndicate stuff - look specifically for the late 70's early 80's stuff as it's closest to the Black Ark sound of Scratch Perry and has incredible players ...

Second live show I ever saw...UB40....Signing Off wasn't even released yet....Food For Thought was just released as a single.
{censored}IN AMAZING!
That album, Signing Off(Dole reference) was and still is right up there with Rattus/1st Clash/Bollocks/Marquee Moon/ALL MAGAZINE/Ultravox! ETC!

• Members

Dub is definitely where my delay obsession came from. I have a 3CD Lee Perry set, a King Tubby disc and several v/a Dub compilations, including the Trojan records sets.

One of my favourite tunes is a Gregory Isaacs one from the Trojan Dub vol.1 disc- i forget what it's called, but it has this awesome dotted-eighth "U2" delay on the drums that gives the impression that the track goes into double time, like drum and bass :cool::thu:

• Members
Originally posted by english_bob

Dub is definitely where my delay obsession came from. I have a 3CD Lee Perry set, a King Tubby disc and several v/a Dub compilations, including the Trojan records sets.

One of my favourite tunes is a Gregory Isaacs one from the Trojan Dub vol.1 disc- i forget what it's called, but it has this awesome dotted-eighth "U2" delay on the drums that gives the impression that the track goes into double time, like drum and bass
:cool::thu:

Nice one Bob ... I LOVEEEEEE Gregory Isaacs - you should definately check out an album called Dubmissions which is a whole bunch of classic remixes by Sly & Robbie of Gregory Isaacs songs and tracks by others ... AMAZING!

One of my all time fave tracks by Isaacs is NIGHT NURSE! Is that the track you're thinking of?

• Members

Sorry...

Should have been more specific....

I asked said expert(NOT ME....I AM A HACK BASS PLAYER) about your entire set up...IE amps, sealed cab and so on...Those were the two options...

80's being the best for THAT cab.

Sorry for the confusion.{censored} I AM SOOOOOOOOOO TIRED!

WAY COOL CLIP!

You're right mate ... I understood the first time but you are a bass player first so you'd be ahead of me anyway in bass knowledge in terms of speakers and cabs etc ... aside from the person you asked who was expert so I was merely saying your opinion was as important to me as the person you went to. :thu:

Who was the person you asked by the way?

• Members

One of my all time fave tracks by Isaacs is NIGHT NURSE! Is that the track you're thinking of?

No, the track is an instrumental. Night Nurse is awesome though- so awesome that not even a Simply Red cover version could diminish its awesomeness!

• Members
Originally posted by english_bob

No, the track is an instrumental. Night Nurse is awesome though- so awesome that not even a Simply Red cover version could diminish its awesomeness!

Urghhh gawdon bennet ... don't tell me that plonker did Night Nurse?!!! Arghhhh :rolleyes:

• Members

Urghhh gawdon bennet ... don't tell me that plonker did Night Nurse?!!! Arghhhh
:rolleyes:

I think it had Sly and Robbie involved. IIRC it wasn't that bad, but only because it was a great song and fairly close to the original. I have no intention of listening to Simply Red to remind myself of the details :freak:

EDIT: Acually, it's from an album called "Sly & Robbie & Friends", so officially it's Sly and Robbie featuring Mick Hucknall or something. Still wrong.

• Members

There are few artists that make me wanna hurl more than Simply Dread! ... all I have to do is think of that voice and "Money too tight to mention ... I'm talking bout etc etc" *shudder*

Stupid thing is that Mick is a great lad in interviews and I could easily chat to the bloke and call him a mate ... he just shouldn't be let near a microphone.

• Members

Yabby You, "Dub it to the Top."
King Tubby's "Prophesy of Dub."
King Tubby and Soul Syndicate "Freedom Sounds in Dub."
Earl Chinna Smith "Dub it."
Morewells Unlimitted Meet King Tubby, "Dub Me."
Glenn Brown and King Tubby, "Termination Dub."
Keith Hudson, "Pick a Dub."
Impact All Stars, "Forward the Bass."
Tappa Zukie, "In Dub."
Just some of my favorites. I'm surprised mid-70s Jamacian dub hardly gets mentioned here, as it has all of the magic we look for when using effects, particularly reverb, phase, delay, etc.
Love dub ... I'm a dub guitarist: Strat or Tele through various Zvex and Lovetones into Clark Beaufort - beautiful stuff.:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Lord Chelmsford

I'm surprised mid-70s Jamacian dub hardly gets mentioned here, as it has all of the magic we look for when using effects, particularly reverb, phase, delay, etc.

...Is what I was saying from the top of this thread mon! I grew up on this stuff.

Love dub ... I'm a dub guitarist: Strat or Tele through various Zvex and Lovetones into Clark Beaufort - beautiful stuff.

I employ dub style guitar work in my own music also ... and relate. :thu:

Archived