What's the difference between an analog and a digital delay?

chu2

• Members

And I'm not talking about tape-delay, binson echorecs, etc.

What is the actual difference between a digital delay pedal like the Boss DD-3 and an analog like the Memory Man? Don't both use circuitry to record the audio, then play it back? A.K.A. analog-digital-analog?

I was just wondering about this yesterday and wondered if you guys could tell me the answer.

:wave:

• Members

Yes.

The digital one samples and quantises the incoming audio, creating a stream of numbers that represents the waveform.

The analogue one samples the waveform and dumps charge into a chip depending on the waveform amplitude.

Both sample, but the digital one then accurately measures the waveform and stores a representation of it. The analogue one just approximates it. Some people think this is more musical, but the truth is that there are good digital delays and bad digital delays and good analogue delays and bad analogue delays, and really it's not worth agonising over the insides of a pedal.

• Members

Thinks of Simon says, played with robot and an mime artist

Digital Delay - robot imitating your moves, move for move and at exactly set parameters - feedback,etc.

Analog Delay - is an mime artist imitating your moves, approximating them while adding life to them on their own, roughly following your set parameters...

Which would you want...

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Actually, I AB'd a BYOC delay (digital) with a DMM (analogue?) and ignoring the modulation they sound pretty darned similar.

Holy crap! What about the oscillation?

• Members

Originally posted by POGphile

True. If you are tone deaf then there really is no debate.

Hell those glass tubes in the professional amps are really there to shine a little light for the set list.
:rolleyes:

Simmer down there, retard. I was clearly joking.

God, does a brother have to do one of these with every ;) sarcastic comment?

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

God, does a brother have to do one of these with every sarcastic comment?

hmm...

hey, papa taco...did you know that the Empress Tremolo has an all-analog audio path but the trem is controlled digitally via opto technology? :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

hmm...

hey, papa taco...did you know that the Empress Tremolo has an all-analog audio path but the trem is controlled digitally via opto technology?
:idea:

Really, I'll be sure to tell that to my incoming Semaphore.;)

• Members

God, does a brother have to do one of these with every
;)
sarcastic comment?

So why do you have to be a dick?

How about you keep trap shut when adults are having a discusion. :thu:

• Members

Really, I'll be sure to tell that to my incoming Semaphore.
;)

oh you scored one? cool! saw in another thread that you were wheeling and dealing. :idea:

if i wanted a very straightforward trem i would've gone for a semaphore too but i'm always seduced by bells and/or whistles.

• Members

Analog delays are usually limited to 300 ms of maximum delay time. Some go higher, the highest I've seen is the 1400 ms of the Moog M104SD.

Digital delays can go a lot longer. Limited only by the size of the memory chip, I guess.

Most useful musical delay times are under a second anyway. Over that and you're in ambient, experimental, frippertronics land. Or looping.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

oh you scored one? cool! saw in another thread that you were wheeling and dealing.
:idea:

if i wanted a very straightforward trem i would've gone for a semaphore too but i'm always seduced by bells and/or whistles.

Actually, not yet. I don't want to overwhelm my wife with too much {censored} coming at once or anything. I've got a Valvetech Hayseed coming in and I think I'll have some 'splaining to do.

Archived