which cables should i replace first?

ishoulddie

• Members

i just bought myself a new pedal board last week (SKB PS-45), and want to begin replacing my cables with better stuff. Most likely Canare GS-6 or possibly Sommer Spirit. Currently, the cables on my board are a mish-mash of cheapo plastic 6" patch cables, and a couple of OK quality 3-footers. The cables from my guitar to the board and the board to my amp were a couple of DiMaarzio 10-footers. But, i lost one of them, so now the board-to-amp cable is a generic 10-footer. And now the DiMarzio i still have seems like it's starting to crap out on me.

So, my question is, what would be a better choice to replace first: The cables on the board, or the long-run cables? Which would my sound benefit more from? Also, if i got a higher quality cable for the long runs, would the benefits be cancelled out by lesser-quality patches on the board?

Sorry this is so long-winded (and possibly confusing). But, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Members

in the mean time, use your best long cable , to plg from guitar int to first pedal, i find i lose a lot less top end this way.

i have a monster cable standard 100, i used to go from las pedal to amp, i pulled th4e monster cable and plugged from the guitar to the first pedal and used my live wire cable from last pedal to amp, and a lot of hte sparkle from my strat came back.

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

+2

tone loss is related to cable length.

Are you saying i should use shorter cables? i might be able to get away with using, say, a 6-footer for my guitar to the board, but i generally need about a 10-footer for the board to the amp. i do play out live, so having long enough cables is definitely an issue.

• Members

get a pedal with a good buffer, some thing like the Zvex SHO or the CatalinBread Super chily picoso. this should avaoid any Pickup loading and help "push" the signal with minimal tone loss, and you can still use the longer cables. good quality cables are made so as to keep capacitance low so there is very lil tone (read: high end sparkle) loss. But a good buffer in front of the chain will help.

i use a DoD bi-fet preamp and really has improved overall tone even when it is off.

• Members

The first pedal in my chain is a Boss NS-2, followed by an SD-1, both of which which i pretty much always keep on. i know some people like the Boss buffers, depending on the pedal. Although, i've been considering getting a stand-alone buffer (like the Axess BS2), to see if that helps any.

Thanks for all of your responses so far!

• Members

Originally posted by evilbuttmuncher

wouldnt the NS-2 need to go at the end of the pedal chain? so it can supress all the noises from the pedal prior to it..?

All of the other pedals in my chain are running through the loop of the NS-2, so that takes care of any extra noise from the other pedals. So, in a way, it's the first and last pedal in my chain. i mainly bought it to suppress feedback from my guitar, anyways, so that's the main reason i have it first.

My chain:

Guitar (Gibson SG) -> Boss NS-2 -> Boss SD-1 -> DigiTech Whammy -> DOD Gonkulator (the only pedal i really have any noise issues with) -> Boss PH-1R -> back to the NS-2 -> amp (Mesa Dual Rectifier).

• Members

Originally posted by ishoulddie

Are you saying i should use shorter cables? i might be able to get away with using, say, a 6-footer for my guitar to the board, but i generally need about a 10-footer for the board to the amp. i do play out live, so having long enough cables is definitely an issue.

change the longest cables first. use the shortest you can, but you need room to move. keep the cables on your board as short as possible.

• Members

Originally posted by ishoulddie

All of the other pedals in my chain are running through the loop of the NS-2, so that takes care of any extra noise from the other pedals. So, in a way, it's the first and last pedal in my chain. i mainly bought it to suppress feedback from my guitar, anyways, so that's the main reason i have it first.

My chain:

Guitar (Gibson SG) -> Boss NS-2 -> Boss SD-1 -> DigiTech Whammy -> DOD Gonkulator (the only pedal i really have any noise issues with) -> Boss PH-1R -> back to the NS-2 -> amp (Mesa Dual Rectifier).

best thing I ever bought in my life...16 years of playing and I finally got my pedalboard to sound good

was a simple looping system

http://www.loop-master.com/catalog/index.php

You'd be surprised what a difference isolating each pedal can make...True bypass pedals don't matter anymore...Often you can get rid of buffers and noise suppressors...and you can often get away with cheaper cables in the loops as long as you've got good LONG cables between your guitar and amp

Think about it...Man I love my loopers

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

Get rid of the cable shaped like a DOD Gonkulator first.

:freak:

Ha ha! Yeah, it is pretty crappy. i'm addicted to the ring mod, though, so until i can afford a better one, it stays.

As for the looping system Esperanto suggested, i've definitely thought about one of those as well. Right now, though, it's all a matter of $$$. One step at a time.

Archived