tuner out options?

flake

• Members

hi

i've got a TU12 tuner on my board.. i'm wondering if it's a better idea to use a tuner out option of a volume pedal (well i didn't intend to buy one initially) or to get a true bypass box and a/b it to the tuner? Which is the better option? oh , which true bypass/loop box would you recommend? thanks

• Members

ab box is a better option. i did test it with a tuner using the second output of an ernieball volume pedal. and it is easy to hear the difference with the tuner attached or not. even when the tuner was of. was not a boss though.

• Members

I use an A/B box at the start of the chain. Mine is a BOSS AB-2, which is in the same enclosure as the FS-5 footswitches. I wouldn't recommend it in general because it's buffered so it won't work without power, and it'll only run off two AAA batteries, so I can't power it from my One Spot.

• Members

Originally posted by gappie

ab box is a better option. i did test it with a tuner using the second output of an ernieball volume pedal. and it is easy to hear the difference with the tuner attached or not. even when the tuner was of. was not a boss though.

Only as long as the EB volume pedal is a passive model. There is no tone suckage using the tuner output of an active, low impedance EB, due to the volume pedal being placed after a buffered output effect/preamp.

• Members

I'd always recommend using an A/B box for a tuner. Unless you're actively using it as a buffer stage, there's no point in having those extra circuits in the chain.

Like danut said, if the volume pedal (regardless of if it's a low or high impedance model) is placed after a buffer stage (active pedal), using the tuner output will not steal too much tone. But if you're going to stick additional pedals in the chain, only to buffer the signal going into the volume pedal so the tuner won't load it down, you might as well run straight through the tuner... :D

/Andreas

Archived