Anyone buy gear just to resell it?

• Members

I always see good deals and think I could resell stuff on Ebay or on here to make a couple bucks. Sometime I just want to buy stuff thats cheap at pawn shops just to give a good deal to people I know that don't go to shop as much as I do and miss those deals. Anyone else do this? Do you make any money?

• Members

I only ever make money from gear by chance. It's alwys a pleasant surprise. I couldn't stay on top of trends long enough to know what could be worth something.

I'm holding on to my Fuzz Factory in case it's worth something after Zvex is arrested/elected.

• Members

I do this all the time.

I tend to only buy stuff I'd actually use, so that if I end up liking it I can keep it, but that's really the only way I fund my gear purchases.

I started my "system" when I was unemployed (and had plenty of time to surf eBay for bargains)...I sold a few of my pedals and used the proceeds to buy stuff when I saw it for cheap. Ever since then, my "gear money" has always been separate from everything else...that way I don't have to dip into my "real money" to buy guitar stuff. It ends up making my pedal addiction affordable.

Good deals don't come around that often, but they do come around if you're watching for them.

• Members

Originally posted by PurpleStrat

I always see good deals and think I could resell stuff on Ebay or on here to make a couple bucks. Sometime I just want to buy stuff thats cheap at pawn shops just to give a good deal to people I know that don't go to shop as much as I do and miss those deals. Anyone else do this? Do you make any money?

I used to do it as a little side job. In the end though all gear just started to look like "product". These days I just buy the gear I like to play. Granted I wouldnt turn down a sweet deal, I just dont "hound" around for them these days.

• Members
Originally posted by aarockla

a lot of stuff I buy, I buy for myself, but I try to get a price, so that if it doesn't work out at least I know I can sell it back, or a little bit higher. If I like it though I'm keepingit.

+1. I don't think I've bought anything that didn't at least have the potential to make it onto my board. But I'll take chances with certain things that I know I can easily flip if it doesn't work out.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

I do this all the time.

I tend to only buy stuff I'd actually use, so that if I end up liking it I can keep it, but that's really the only way I fund my gear purchases.

I started my "system" when I was unemployed (and had plenty of time to surf eBay for bargains)...I sold a few of my pedals and used the proceeds to buy stuff when I saw it for cheap. Ever since then, my "gear money" has always been separate from everything else...that way I don't have to dip into my "real money" to buy guitar stuff. It ends up making my pedal addiction affordable.

Good deals don't come around that often, but they do come around if you're watching for them.

Exactly what I was thinking. I see these good deals all the time around me. If I could just make enough money to fund my own addiction it would make me and the wife very happy.

• Members

The only time I ever did this, I just broke even. I bought a Gibson EH150 amp for $600 (it's funny, but these amps from the 30s are ragers) because I had seen them go for over $1000 before.

I broke even, but that was essentially a loss because I had to tie up my money for a couple of weeks.

• Members

I've done it before. Picked up a used Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal and resold it on ebay for a profit of about $100.

I also picked up a used Whammy reissue resold it here for a profit of $25.

Recently I picked up a MIJ Boss DS-1 for $25 and an Ibanez Master Series Metal Screamer for $30 planning to resell them, but I decided to keep both of those for myself.:D

• Members

I don't specifically look for deals to make money on, I look for stuff cheap I want to play around with and try out but not take too much of a loss on if it doesn't work out and I need to flog it on.

Best deal I ever got was a cream and black original valve Watkins Copycat at a car boot sale for

• Members

Last year I was doing that alot. Only with stuff that was a REAL good deal and I was sorta interested in. I would play it for a week and then sell for a bit more. I got away from that, mainly because I ended up liking and keeping too much stuff.

• Members

I don't see good deals in pawnshops anymore, usually just the local used newspaper.

A few things I made a nice profit on;

TC Electronics Phaser XII bought for $40, sold for $200US

Ibanez WH-10 wah bought for $40, sold for $225

Ibanez PT-1000 phaser bought for $50 sold for $200

Kay Fuzz pedal got for $0 sold for $240

• Members

I always look out on Australia ebay for broken vintage stuff that would be an easy fix to resell it. Bought a broken 70s Ibanez Wau Wau Machine for about $50 in awesome cosmetic condition. Opened it up, someone had tried to true bypass it I think but messed up the wiring completely. Rewired it (10 min job) sold it for $130.

:thu:

Archived