I'm in a position to buy any overdrive I want, so which is it?

SeeMoore

• Members

High dollar boutique or low cost sleeper.

The Guitars:

American Deluxe Strat and Epi Les Paul

The Amps:

Dr. Z and DRRI

The sound:

The lead sound on Boz Scaggs, "Breakdown dead Ahead" or Steely Dans, "Kid Charlemagne"

I have a Boss OD-2 that is close, but it's old and needs new pots and a new case, a DIY job for sure.

I'm looking for something that will get crunch for chords, and smooth sustain for leads, all in the same box.

• Members

What kind of Z? I use a MAZ 38 Studio Special and I absolutely LOVE my Fulldrive 2 with it. Best sounding OD pedal I've ever used - very smooth sounding, very organic, and very flexible.

[Edit] I got mine on ebay for $150 - they're not that expensive.

• Members

The 'Kid Charlemagne' type tones can be had with a Hermida Mosferatu or MI Audio Blue Boy in my experience using 6V6 based amps like your DRRI. The Blue Boy is a much more versatile pedal than the Mos, FWIW.

Pushing the Blue Boy with a Lovepedal CoT50 is thing of beauty for the liquidy smooth lead tones, and can give you a nice Marshally flavor.

• Members

Originally posted by BydoEmpire2

What kind of Z? I use a MAZ 38 Studio Special and I absolutely LOVE my Fulldrive 2 with it. Best sounding OD pedal I've ever used - very smooth sounding, very organic, and very flexible.

[Edit] I got mine on ebay for $150 - they're not that expensive.

I have a Maz 38 Senior.

I can get a Fulldrive at my local shop for $150.00, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something better out there.

I could get a couple of different ones and keep what I like.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Off the top of my head it sounds like you need something like the Jeckyl & Hyde or the Fulltone FD-2 or the Foxrox ZIM.

I know the Route66, from the same company, sounds good through the deluxe.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Only problem is getting one. Aren't too many of them out there these days it seems, although I haven't checked in the past month.

Have been a couple of them (Zim) in TGP emporium lately. I think there may still be one there now.

• Members
Originally posted by Last Nerve

lovepedal Eternity

FoxRox ZIM

Skreddy Screw Driver

The only ODs that will ever be on my board..there, I've said it.
:)

Dude, what's the Lucky Charm pedal in your avatar about? Please tell about Skreddy goodness...

Archived