TB box/switcher with 2in & 2out?

• Members

OK, so. The rhythm guitar player needs to go from acoustic on one song to electric on the next. The acoustic has a quarter-inch out going to a DI, and the electric goes straight to the amp. Rather than futz with cables when he needs to tune, he wants both instruments to be able to share a TU-2 and then separately head out to the DI & amp.

I'm thinking a switch box with a 1/4" in/out for each instrument/endpoint, plus a tuner out, would do the trick... But does such a thing exist? I've checked out Loop-Master's offerings but couldn't find anything that fits this description.

Or is there another way to do it (without buying another tuner? :) ) Granted, it will probably cost as much for the switcher as a 2nd tuner, but why let logic get in the way?

• Members

I think it could be done with relays. Or a 3PDT if you don't need an LED.

One pole selects what goes to the tuner (acoustic or electric). One pole selects what goes to the electric amp (either ground or the return from the tuner). The last pole selects what goes to the acoustic out (either the return from the tuner or ground). You could even keep the grounds isolated if you had a 4PDT.

Or, better, have two footswitches. One chooses which path is active, the other is a tuner mute.

• Members

Even though it could be done, I'd stay far, far away from anything that will connect my guitar amp's signal ground to that of the PA. It will usually result in all sorts of ground loop issues (i.e. hum and/or electrical shocks from mikes while playing the electric). Ask any bass player how many times out of 100 he/she has been able to DI straight out of the amp without hum...

Plus - even though you already know this - a custom unit with all the stuff needed to avoid ground loops (transformer isolation etc) will cost quite a bit more than a separate tuner, so... :D

/Andreas

• Members

Originally posted by andreas

Even though it could be done, I'd stay far, far away from anything that will connect my guitar amp's signal ground to that of the PA. It will usually result in all sorts of ground loop issues (i.e. hum and/or electrical shocks from mikes while playing the electric).../Andreas

Would using a Tech 21 SansAmp have the same problem? Their bass pre probably is, but I doubt their guitar pre's out is transformer-isolated.

BTW, I also like your power-draw list. Would you happen to know the common in & out impedances of Dunlop and Morley wahs? THANKS!

• Members

If it has a balanced DI output (usually an XLR jack) with a ground lift switch, it will be transformer balanced and should work. If not, I'd use a DI box for one of those, to help mate it to the PA. You would probably do that with the acoustic anyway, which would let you lift the ground to the PA (thus eliminating ground loops). But I still wouldn't want to mix the PA ground with the signal ground going to the amp - if you plan on adding any distortion after the tuner/switch box, any noise still there will be amplified about a thousand times... :eek:

Hooking up a SansAmp or similar (where the distortion happens before the split to amp/PA) is less sensitive, though, so that might work.

/Andreas

Archived