Recommend me a Pelican album + others

• Members

I desperately need some new music!

I am going to order a Pelican album because I like the clips and have been suggested to check them out since I really got into ISIS.....Which album should I start with?....Any others int his genre?

Any other suggestions as to great stuff I'm missing would be peachy. I'm uber-picky so unless it really blows me away, it gets put to the wayside and collects dust.

Sad to say, I usually end up liking the more well-known stuff even if its underground (does that make sense?). I guess I can't settle for mediocre.

I have been trying to listen to new bands but I have been failing in my purchases. By new bands I mean new to me.

Here are some recent CD's I bought that I got into:

ISIS - Panopticon

Ed Gein - Judas Goats and Dieseleaters

The Faint - Danse Macbre/ Wet From Birth

Here others that I am currently listening to:

Tomahawk

Muse

Radiohead

The Jesus lizard

Flaming Lips

Fugazi

Sunny Day Real Estate

Deftones

Floyd

....etc

What do ya got?

• Members

I really like The Raconteurs album for some lo-fi solid poppy rock.
Also if you don;t have them already go and get The Fragile and The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails, they are great album.

In that heavy, doomy genre i suggest the 1st Down album called NOLA.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=17869715
Also worth checing out Corrosion of Conformity, i think they have a myspace page.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=34917394

Then there's my band! Plastic Toys, link in my sig.
:thu:

• Members

You really can't go wrong with any Pelican. The first EP and Australasia are heavier than the new album The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw, but it's all awesome. Also, if you've only heard Panopticon then you need Oceanic.

As for other bands in that style, I'd recommend Neurosis, Old Man Gloom, Mouth of the Architect, Cult of Luna, Jesu, Tarentel, and maybe even the latest Earth album if you like the softer, more mellow sides of Isis.

• Members
Originally posted by joncyberboy

I really like The Raconteurs album for some lo-fi solid poppy rock.

Also if you don;t have them already go and get The Fragile and The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails, they are great album.

In that heavy, doomy genre i suggest the 1st Down album called NOLA.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=17869715

Also worth checing out Corrosion of Conformity, i think they have a myspace page.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=34917394

Then there's my band! Plastic Toys, link in my sig.

:thu:

I do have all the NIN stuff and like it alot.

I will check out the other two sometime but i don't have computer at home right now and mysapce is blocked at work.

I like your band, good stuff! Send me a myspace request I will accept it when i get to a computer. :thu:

Thanks!

• Members
Originally posted by murch33

You really can't go wrong with any Pelican. The first EP and
Australasia
are heavier than the new album
The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
, but it's all awesome. Also, if you've only heard
Panopticon
then you
need
Oceanic

As for other bands in that style, I'd recommend Neurosis, Old Man Gloom, Mouth of the Architect, Cult of Luna, Jesu, Tarentel, and maybe even the latest Earth album if you like the softer, more mellow sides of Isis.

I actually just ordered Oceanic. :thu:

I definitely like the softer melodic side of Isis so I will definitely check out Earth. Any album in particular?

• Members

If' you're gonna try some Earth I'll warn you that they're primarily in the doom/drone genres, but their latest album Hex: Or Printing in the Infernal Method is very laid back and mellow. It might not be the best recommendation if you're coming from the Isis/Pelican side of things, though.

• Members
Originally posted by murch33

If' you're gonna try some Earth I'll warn you that they're primarily in the doom/drone genres, but their latest album
Hex: Or Printing in the Infernal Method
is very laid back and mellow. It might not be the best recommendation if you're coming from the Isis/Pelican side of things, though.

Right on. I dig the mellow stuff as well so it doesn't matter much too me, as long as its good. I'm just kind of getting into the doom stuff so its all new to me.

Thanks for the heads up.:thu:

• Members

Old man gloom kinda bores me.

but at the same time I can listen to Earth droning on for hours at end.

I like the new spaghetti-western sound to Hex, I like it a lot. I also saw Dylan walking around downtown with a snare a couple weeks ago (I live around seattle), so I cranked up Hex with the windows down and got a smirk out of him.

I've been digging russian circles, I actually get to see them tonight.

• Members

Originally posted by omor

I like the new spaghetti-western sound to Hex, I like it a lot. I also saw Dylan walking around downtown with a snare a couple weeks ago (I live around seattle), so I cranked up Hex with the windows down and got a smirk out of him.

I've been digging russian circles, I actually get to see them tonight.

Spaghetti-western sound? I will defintely have to check that out.

I love that C&W/Surf sound incorporated into rock. Kind of like some earlier Modest Mouse stuff.

• Members

:eek: How dare you. Actually, their first 2 kind of do that to me, but I love Zozobra and Christmas.

I like the new spaghetti-western sound to Hex, I like it a lot.

Big +1

• Members

the record Satin Black by Paik (on the Strange Attractors label) is gorgeous, heavy instrumental rock. Not as heavy in a drop-tuned sense as many bands discussed in this thread; rather, think Mogwai or Explosions in the Sky but warmer, sludgier, and more visceral, and without the penchant towards chin-scratching sterility (in my opinion) of those two bands .

• Members

Check out anything by the Ravonettes. Surf, punk, 50s vibe, with great songwriting.

For some great fuzzed out garage rock check out The Dirtbombs or Gories, Cmon, Soledad Brothers, or the Black Keys.

Judging by the stuff you mentioned it seems like you would like Franz Ferdinand, Gang of Four, The Specials, Wolf Parade, and We are Wolves. But Im sure youve heard of those bands, if not check em out. Glad to see others that dig the Faint they are surprisingly a kick ass live band.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzup

Check out anything by the Ravonettes. Surf, punk, 50s vibe, with great songwriting.

Great! I love surf rock.

For some great fuzzed out garage rock check out The Dirtbombs or Gories, Cmon, Soledad Brothers, or the Black Keys.

Judging by the stuff you mentioned it seems like you would like Franz Ferdinand, Gang of Four, The Specials, Wolf Parade, and We are Wolves. But Im sure youve heard of those bands, if not check em out. Glad to see others that dig the Faint they are surprisingly a kick ass live band.

I tried Black Keys and...meh, bored the {censored} out of me.

Same with Franz Ferdinand.

And yes, The Faint kicks ass. I would love to see them live!

• Members
Originally posted by themeanreds

the record Satin Black by Paik (on the Strange Attractors label) is gorgeous, heavy instrumental rock.

Yep, I plan on picking that one up along with lots of other stuff (Tarentel, Zombi, J. Mascis, Boris...) next week. Every payday I always go on a huge Amazon bender.

• Members
Originally posted by ChitownTerror

Pelican is an incredibly loud live band. When I saw them here in Chitown at the Bottom Lounge, they were so loud the plate in my leg was vibrating. Talk about uncomfortable.

i thought you were just happy to see me. :cry:

Archived