Can U compare all analog delays?

• Members

I currently own a EH DMM and a Memory Lane plus some other digital delay's (dd-5, dd-20, DL-4, EH 16 sec). I'm a delay junkie....what can I say.

Can some one compare all the analog delay's you've owned and discuss....

including but not limited to:

Ibanez ad-9

Maxon Ad-9

ad900

ad999

EH DMM

Memory Lane

Moog Delay

Echo Czar

and whatever else I'm forgetting....

Please list what they are good at and what they aren't....

• Members

I've posted about this in some other threads-- currently see stereotypys "Talk me out of selling my AD900" thread...

But a brief re-cap is in order, since I'm an analog delay junkie and have owned a few in my day:

MEMORY LANE: This is my go-to pedal for most conventional delay sounds. The repeats are very clear for analog, almost hi-fi, depending on your settings. Great for rhythm delay a la The Edge or David Gilmour. Still sounds analog-- not tinny like digital delays I've tried-- but crisp and clear enough for clean rhythm work. Modulated repeats sound beautiful-- won't get seasick and totally detuned like a Memory Man, much subtler, more useable chorus. Sounds wonderful in stereo. Also has Tap Tempo, which is indispensible for syncing with a drummer. I use it all the time. NOT SO GOOD for self-oscillation. Gets loud and clicky, won't really do spaceship sounds. However, you can use an expression pedal to bring the delay in and out of oscillation while you play, which is very fun and reminiscent of Adrian Belew's guitar work circa Remain in Light. Overall, one of the best delay pedals out there, and if it had more musical oscillation sounds, it'd be a shoe-in for #1 in my book.

AD900/999: The cork sniffer's take on these two is that the AD900 sounds "way" better. I disagree and think the two sound very similar. (At gigging volumes, indiscernible.) Both pedals are dark but not TOO dark-- what most folks call "warm." They are also very polite-- you can get near infinite repeats without the pedal spazzing out and oscillating, which is nice if you want sound-on-sound layers or big washes of reverb. When it does oscillate, it sounds great-- from earthquake rumbles to shrieking amp meltdown, and easy to keep it under control with your hands on the Repeat knob. Dead ringer for the sound that ends "Karma Police."

MOOG: Played one in a store in Santa Monica-- too dark for my tastes. Very gritty sounding. Probably great for taking the edge off a synth sound or something, but for the price, I don't think it's a match for the Maxon 900s...

EH DMM: You know this one, and it's a classic for a reason. THE analog delay sound to beat, IMO. Wish the enclosure was half the size and the bypass wasn't so lame...

• Members

I agree on the Moog delay. Too dark. The only thing that is going to replace my DMM is either a Memory Lane, or possibly Howard's new mega delay thing thats in the works. Can't wait to hear that one, although I think its a hybrid analog/digital design.

• Members
Originally posted by Wilbo26

I agree on the Moog delay. Too dark. The only thing that is going to replace my DMM is either a Memory Lane, or possibly Howard's new mega delay thing thats in the works. Can't wait to hear that one, although I think its a hybrid analog/digital design.

Howard's new mega delay ?

any pics etc :thu:

• Members

Heres an interesting little piece written a few years back by a forumite. Ive held onto it... I thought it might be useful...

20) Dano PB&J. This is not a bad little delay for the bedroom guitarist, but it

• Members

At the minute I have a stock DM-2, stock Ibanez AD80, modified Ibanez AD80 and Keeley modified Ibanez AD9 reissue in the house. I happened to be comparing them yesterday, I've also had a DM-3 and Maxon AD999 before now.

The DM3 would be my least favourite, closely followed by the DM2, which is marginally warmer and thicker. The Keeley AD9 is a nice surprise, warm, thick repeats and the oscillations have plenty of muscle, although they are hard to control.

The Maxon AD999 has the delay time, but the repeats were always undefined and rather flat. Great for subtle, lead enhancing repeats, but uninspiring for almost everything else.

The Ibanez AD-80 is my pick, stock it has a dodgy bypass and it can be hard to trim the repeat level because of the 100% wet option on the dial, but with a few simple modifications it becomes an excellent analog delay.

The clearest, most hi-fi repeats, great oscillations, the best slapback/reverb sounds of the bunch and warm, long feedback that dissolves into your amp.

The AD-80 just has something that the others don't and it becomes very apparent when you play them side by side. Requires 18v supply, which could be considered a hassle, but it's more than worth it for me.

Archived