Jesus & Mary Chain type fuzz?

• Members

I want that buzz-saw type fuzz on Psychocandy in a modern pedal. I have an older Fuzz Factory, but mine doesn't quite do it for me in this dept. It was a Shin-ei fuzz they used, no?

Anyway, I'd like to keep it under $150... what's out there? Maybe I should just suck it up & get an Octane 3 to be a ZVex fuzz elitist

Out of interest, would a Big Cheese (clone) be able to cop that JAMC tone? Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Boron

Nope - that's a Bee Baa clone.

Exactly.

Because the Bee-Baa is a clone of the thing he wants, Univox Super Fuzz as built by the Shin-ei factory.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Exactly, the Shin-Ei Fuzz is the J&MC fuzz. There is a company in Australia called Tym Guitars-google them-they make a very cool looking replica of the Shin-Ei. You could also go cheaper with a Voodoo Lab Superfuzz perhaps or an MJM Guitar FX China Fuzz.

• Members

Originally posted by todd richman

Exactly, the Shin-Ei Fuzz is the J&MC fuzz. There is a company in Australia called Tym Guitars-google them-they make a very cool looking replica of the Shin-Ei. You could also go cheaper with a Voodoo Lab Superfuzz perhaps or an MJM Guitar FX China Fuzz.

Tym guitars make a really cool mosrite fuzzrite copy as well. The voodoo superfuzz is a different animal. Not a superfuzz in the vintage sense (i.e for JAMC), and quite different tonally.

• Members

Originally posted by todd richman

The Voodoo Lab is a clone of a Jordan Bosstone, waaaaay different than the Univox Superfuzz/Shi-Nei fuzzes.

• Members

The post about the Wah is a good idea. I do the same to get that shrill buzz saw sound. Another good cheap pedal for that sound is the Guyatone TZ2 which models itself after a univox superfuzz. The Guyatone goes for 60 on Musiciansfriend I think. Great little pedal, I use mine all the time.

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

amazed.JPG

They were not loud (the openers were much louder) but the squeals and screeches from the guitars were amazingly painful. Shockingly they did a 45 minute set, this is when 20 minutes was typical. Jim was pretty plastered.

Archived