What's a delay with real 'character'?

• Members

I'll get the obvious DMM out of the way. I actually have really come to like the two delays on my E1 as well. The ability to cut the highs on the repeats really give it a lot of variety, and I've been able to get some really interesting delay tones out of it that have lots of character. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Still, my DMM has character coming out of the wazoo. Yar.

• Members

Originally posted by puddinstone

I guess this is a dfferent kind of "character" but...I feel like my dd-5 has a lot character. Sure it adds high's and sounds brittle on the repeats but sure sounds alot different then that "warm" analog sound that everybody shoots for.

I'm pretty sure Tim Reynolds uses the DD-5 all the time. Definatley a great digital delay. Better than the DD-6 I think, especially if you get the reverse delay mod that lets you cut out the original signal so you just get the reversed repeats.

Space Echoes definatley have the most character, but for the average person they're just too much of a pain to deal with. I would love to have one, but it just isn't practical, and the DMM gets it done just fine.

• Members
Originally posted by Wilbo26

Space Echoes definatley have the most character, but for the average person they're just too much of a pain to deal with. I would love to have one, but it just isn't practical, and the DMM gets it done just fine.

I have a RE-201 that I have been running everyday for 2 years without any problems. The tape must be very well worn by now but I still really like the sound and honestly can't detect any degradation in the quality so I have not replaced it. Mine seems rock solid reliable.

RE-201.jpg

• Members

I'm just saying a tape delay is going to be a lot harder and more unwieldy to deal with than an analog delay. And the average person, especially in a live situation, isn't going to be able to tell the difference.

Believe me, if I had the money and the space, I would have an RE-201 in a heartbeat and enjoy the hell out of it.

• Members
Originally posted by Wilbo26

I'm just saying a tape delay is going to be a lot harder and more unwieldy to deal with than an analog delay. And the average person, especially in a live situation, isn't going to be able to tell the difference.

Believe me, if I had the money and the space, I would have an RE-201 in a heartbeat and enjoy the hell out of it.

I agree with that. I think the space echo is really more at home in a studio setting, but it is fun to see bands with crew (Radiohead, Mars Volta) use them live.

I think forumite Ship at sea? has one he sets on the floor beside his board. :eek:

• Members
Originally posted by Mr. Poopsicle

I agree with that. I think the space echo is really more at home in a studio setting, but it is fun to see bands with crew (Radiohead, Mars Volta) use them live.

I think forumite Ship at sea? has one he sets on the floor beside his board.
:eek:

Definately the ultimate studio echo. But gigging with one, especially frequently, you're going to have to spend some money keeping it in perfect shape and have backup tape, etc.

If I was loaded, I would probably get an RE-301 for studio work, that HiWatt tape echo for gigging, and have a couple of good analog delays for backup.

• Members

I love the character of my Dan Echo. Incredibly organic, which is further augmented by my running in through the front end of the amp. The Hi-Cut feature makes it go from simple delay to warm, spacey echo tones anf floating kinds of textures.

Some complain about the bypass, but I don't really care. I am all about good warm echo, and it does the job.

• Members

Originally posted by jrowan

I'm still in the honeymoon period with my DOD 585A, but I really dig the sounds coming out of it, plus they run really cheap for analog delays. I got mine for $50 on ebay.

The 585A and 585B are some real quality sleepers.Thos DOD analog delays are great choices for anyone on a tight budget.

• Members

I tried out a Carl Martin "Red Repeat" with a Powerball.It was wierd because when I ran it to the front of the amp,it had a clear but distinctly warm tape character.However when I ran it in the loop,it brightened up just enough for more modern tones while still retaining that photo repeat quality.AND,only half the size of the CM Delayla for under $120!!

• Members

Yamaha ud stomp. Sometimes it gets along with you, sometimes its grumpy and it wont open up.You really have to read the manual and pay attention. You have to coax it with all those knobs and secret handshakes. Lets not even talk about the tap function....talk about character this pedal has loads.

• Members

I don't own either pedals but I've been wondering if the Zoom G2 (or G2.1u) might have a better sounding delay than the Boss because it has 32 bit processing instead of 24 bit.

I tried the Zoom and the delay was very clear and shimmery, though it didn't seem to self oscilate. You wouldn't the a Zoom would be better than a Boss, but on paper the Zoom looks pretty good.

Archived