6L6's vs. EL84 vs. EL34 vs 6V6 POWER AMP corrected

fusionid

• Members

sorry messed up the last one and the results so far were not I expected. I think I confused everyone so here we go again

cast your vote on favorite

pick your favorite for power amp section in your favorite loves pedals amp or otherwise favorite amp

leave message if so desired like

Ex. I prefer EL34's cuz they handle crunch and high gain better. Loves my muff, etc

Ex. I prefer 6L6 cuz I like chime and sparkle cleans and I use mainly overdrive boxes.

Ex. I prefer 6V6 cuz I want to be Jimie

• Members

I own four 6L6 amps (3 Mesa's Mark series and a Reverend 60/40). I really love the sweet warm cleans you get. As you mentioned in Ex.2, I get my dirt from od/dist/fuzz boxes, and my 6L6 amps work great with stomp boxes.

• Members

I played EL34 amps the last years for their growl. Loved EL84 amps for their chime and bite. So what did I end up with after my last amp hunt ? A 6V6 amp.

Really, the tone is made in the total amp/circuit. It's silly to do a poll on just the power section.

• Members

Man! there is nothing better in my book than the glassy top end charm an EL84 can pump out. :love: I have 3 amps that run them and they are the best tone I've ever heard :idea: .... they remind me of an EL34 amp :o .... but the only difference is they crunch out at much more reasonable sound levels. :love:

Runner up is the EL34 ..... if you don't mind cranking it a bit. :)

I couldn't limit myself to any single output tube flavor...

I love the glassy top end of EL84's too, and they crunch up in a very nice way. I'm really diggin' my AC15cc with the Weber Blue Dog I put into it - very cool EL84 tones.

But I couldn't turn my back on the classic Fender 6V6 sound either. There's a rich "plumpness" to those that works great for some things. My go to amp for that is my '83 Princeton Reverb II, although most people probably think of a Fender Deluxe, which is a great amp.

I tend to be a "low wattage" amp kind of guy; mainly because I spend most of my musical life in a recording studio. I do like the "bigger" tubes, but generally, I find the smaller ones (84's instead of 34's, 6V6 instead of 6L6) to be a bit sweeter sounding, and due to the lower power, easier to crank up for power amp grind than their larger cousins. However, one of my favorite sounds is a GE 6L6 GC in my Univalve. That sounds incredible to me too - especially for cleaner tones. :)

So again, I couldn't limit myself to just one due to being mainly a studio guy... and in the studio, I like having different tonal options available. :)

• Members

partly due to the lesser popularity of the EL34, I just tried the 6L6's on my JSX. Long story short, sad true is that you have to match the power amp tubes with the speakers too. I feel vintage 30's like EL34.

Archived