germanium fuzz face vs. silicon

• Members

Ive never played through either one of them or their clones but I have a ge fuzz and a silicon one.The ge one just seems so much smoother and crunchy.The other(silicon) at times sounds like poo.What are the tonal advantages to the silicon ff if any?I feel like learning something today:)

• Members

Originally posted by outstanding

What silicon fuzz do you got?I got one of those p.e. experience pedals.The fuzz on that is probably nothing like a silicon fuzz face.

Foxrox Hot Silicon card, in a CC2. There's a stand alone version as well. Slap it in front of a slightly dirty amp or an OD, and it cooks.

• Members
Originally posted by outstanding

What are the tonal advantages to the silicon ff if any?I feel like learning something today:)

OK, I will approach this question again from the standpoint of which it was asked. IMO the differences between Si and Ge are enough to warrant them being 2 different animals.

Usually Si is more high gain, cutting, trebly,and works better on an amp that is breaking up a good amount more than a Ge does. You can find Si transistors that are lower gain (I think) but they will still exhibit the above traits.

Ge on the other hand is warmer, smoother, and responds MUCH better to volume knob (on guitar) to control the amount of fuzz. A Ge fuzz often gets lost in the mix due to the inablily to really CUT like a Si will (the extra treble helps in this case). Ge also seems to work better on a clean or just barely breaking up amp.

THIS is why I ALWAYS recommend the SYBIL by RETROMAN. If I could buy only one pedal it would be the SYBIL. You can dial in all on the above traits to make your own MUTANT fuzz.

I have mine set to a medium tonal range where it is warm from the Ge on the bottom end but still cuts rather well on the top end without being too trebly. It also cleans up well!!

:thu: MY LONGEST POST EVER!!!!

• Members
Originally posted by longjohnuo

well, actually I like Silicon Fuzz through my 59 RI bassman running clean more than Ge fuzz for the Hendrix thing. but maybe that's just me
:)

but yeah, any type of fuzz certainly sounds better with amp break up:cool:

Depends on what era hendrix you are looking for. BOG he used more silicon (I belive) woodstock and before it was Ge fuzz (I am no hendrix expert though).

Archived