Tubes. The JAN-5751 tears my 12AX7E into pieces. What's the matter?

separanets

• Members

Since I replaced the tube in my maxon and put a JAN-5751 inplace of 12AX7E, the voice of the pedal has became agressice, readable and crunching like the broken glass in your office. So i'm sitting and thinking hard if it should be so or something is wrong with my 12AX7E.

Your opinions, please. Who's come across such tubes?

Thank you.

• Members

there are certainly certain tubes that work better with certain gear - amps are not the only weapons picky about certain types of tubes, and within those sometimes you get one a little hotter or colder

i have an amp that had brittle nasty cleans, but a jan5751 (as well as sed 6l6gc) seemed to come to life with authority but the breakup is well defined and not loose/flubby. most people missed the point and tried to throw hotter 12ax7s in the pre, but this one responds better to cooler a less hot tube

i think its just some of the magic of tubes, i can understand how your pedal could sound better with a less hot tube in there, even more defined as far as crunch. sometimes stacks of lighter gain will slay a single source of hot gain

• Members

Thak you guys for paying attention, because I've been thinking of buying a booster to boost this threat. :)

yeah, I did send a pm to puretube, ok.

fishfartz, yes, it is really defined with this tube, but I'd not say it's too light. I can play some heavey metal too and I can play some 6-string chords and all sounds well. It gives enough gain and it's not as smeared.

Archived