Notice

GuyaGuy

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

what's the proper thing to do when giving notice?

the big boss has known for over a month that i'm leaving in 2 weeks from now. should i still hand in a formal written notice?

Depends on where you work. How formal is it?

• Members

yeah, i think the paper trail theory is probably true. i'm sure it won't ever be am issue but it doesn't hurt.
i'm a bit of a manager so i guess it's proper form. or something.

i think i'll write it in ABBCA iambic pentameter! :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

yeah, i think the paper trail theory is probably true. i'm sure it won't ever be am issue but it doesn't hurt.

i'm a bit of a manager so i guess it's proper form. or something.

Yeah you should then. If you worked at Buger King I would say just walk.

• Members

Originally posted by PurpleStrat

If you worked at Buger King I would say just walk.

If you worked at Burger King, I'd wonder how the hell you were getting online... are those registers equipped with wi-fi?

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

I think this new troll is hilarious.

Points for obscurity, mang. How's the Yay Area treating you? Keeping your nose out that white girl?

Man, I'm not a troll, I just speak my mind. I can see by your name that you're down with the purp. :thu:

• Members

A paper trail makes it official, not some comment to your manager that he has since forgotten about

Every company is different with qhen they rwequire written notice and so on though, so I don't know when you would need it (or if at all depending on how relaxed your place of work)

David

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I have to give 3 months notice.

I gather things are much more slack in the US.

Damn that sucks! I can't imagine having to do a job for 3 months knowing that I'm just going to leave at the end. Hell 2 weeks seems like forever to me.

That was the beauty of getting laid off. Only had to finish out the week, and then got 2 weeks paid vacation!

• Members

Lordy - last time I was laid off I got 11 weeks of money, 4 of them tax-free.

Yeah well the evil corporate law firm wasn't so generous. But I ended up in a better job with more money so its all good.

• Members

I have to give 3 months notice.

I gather things are much more slack in the US.

well...yeah.
things move faster here. not much unemployment to rely on. so you want to go directly from one position to the next.

or, as in my case, from one position to the mean streets of the most densely populated city in the nation without any job prospects. :thu:

here one month is proper, 2 weeks expected. but arizona is a "right to work" state, meaning employment can end at any time for any reason--and that goes for quitting or firing. so you can give 30 seconds notice if you want.

• Members

If you ever want to work there again, or ever think you will need referance from that job in the future, definitly give 2 weeks notice thanking them for giving you the chance to work for them.

Remember, depending on where you work in the future, you don't have to list this place for you potential boss to find out about it.

• Members
Originally posted by jackpotjewell

Good luck in NY. Hope everything works out for you.

thanks!
:wave:

Originally posted by Mike Sr.

If you ever want to work there again, or ever think you will need referance from that job in the future, definitly give 2 weeks notice thanking them for giving you the chance to work for them.

Remember, depending on where you work in the future, you don't have to list this place for you potential boss to find out about it.

well he knew i was leaving but i decided to turn it in as a formality.
and i WILL be listing it because it was my only real management experience, i managed while we were doing work for the Smithsonian, etc.

Archived