Sniping... The Art of Getting a Good Deal!!!

• Members

I got a trial version of a sniping program about 6 months ago, and started loading up about 100 auctions a week. I dont win about 95% of them, but the ones I do win, I make a lot of money flipping the items.

I actually won my Skreddy Mayonnaise from my sniping, but then again, my bid amount was about 100 more than I actually paid.

Anyone else have a sniping program?

John

• Members

Originally posted by LongJohnny

I actually won my Skreddy Mayonnaise from my sniping, but then again, my bid amount was about 100 more than I actually paid.

You didn't pay what you bid?!

• Members

I got a trial version of a sniping program about 6 months ago, and started loading up about 100 auctions a week. I dont win about 95% of them, but the ones I do win, I make a lot of money flipping the items.

John

I understand you are in the business of selling stuff. HOwever your behaviour makes me kind of mad.

• Members

John

Sorry mate.
Not a fan of snipers.
:(

• Members

I bid what I'm willing to pay. It's very simple.
People have "won" auctions in which I was the highest bidder. They were very good at sniping, and ended paying more than MSRP. I guess they had a sniper frenzy or something :)

• Members
Originally posted by Last Nerve

I"m an "old school" sniper!

I sit at the computer and click the buttons with 3 secs left!
:thu:

Yeah, this is what I do if I really want to win the auction, but having a program do it for you is kind of lame.

• Members

sniping does provide an advantage over passive bidding, but not more than monitoring and bidding manually at the last minute. therefore it is not unfair.

but if everyone sniped then prices would be determined by timing, network latency, etc: a bad thing.

i think about this kind of thing a fair amount, working for an investment bank developing trading systems. incipient "arbitrage engines", simultaneous buy-low/sell-high trade execution software would obviate the need for (seedy) traders and sales-people and would normalise prices (i think) -- reduced volitilty is a good thing for consumers. then again ebay isn't really analogous because the market isn't liquid...

there was an article on slashdot recently on this topic: here

• Members
Originally posted by Eddie

I bid what I'm willing to pay. It's very simple.

People have "won" auctions in which I was the highest bidder. They were very good at sniping, and ended paying more than MSRP. I guess they had a sniper frenzy or something
:)

yup.
if LongJohnny is bidding 100 times what he paid then he's gonna end up getting screwed--paying more than MSRP like you say.

i watch BINs that have just started more than low priced items to bid on anyways.

• Members

I paid the auction price for the Mayonnaise, directly to Marc from Skreddy, he had the auction. My highest bid amount was more than 100, than the actual bid. Yes I did pay for the pedal in full.

I think it is funny that some people get mad about it though. It is just like sitting at a computer until the end of the auction, and bidding with 10 seconds left. Except for me, it is done automatically.

I bid on things that start out low in price, and for some reason, the auction doesnt sell for what it should.

Bidding MSRP is just plain dumb. Try asking a dealer for a pedal if they would sell it below that price, and most of them will on Ebay. Just so long as they are making a little coin.

Archived