Played a Fender Deluxe Reverb SF today

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

here's problem with that. That "smooth fender" sound is the sound of the 6V6 tubes being pushed to the limit and compressing, the tube rectifier sagging, the output transformer saturating. It's a combination of all those things together that give that deluxe it's tone. You're not gunna get the same sound with a bigger amp with more headroom.

Trut. Have you considered mic'ing the amp? Or, you could just turn the guitar down a bit if you're the edge of breakup. Old skool I know but its worked for people for many years.

• Members

depends how hard he's slamming it with pedals. A more powerful signal into the amp will result in earlier break up. Not completely saturated but plenty of magic happening.

I agree that if he needs to have a louder amp the vibrolux, pro reverb or bandmaster is the next step up but 6V6s have a lot more squish than 6L6s to my ears.

Originally posted by Wilbo26

A deluxe isnt exactly saturating on 3 I don't think...

I think a Vibrolux would be perfect, can't imagine getting much closer than that.

• Members

i just want to thank everyone here for making my amp decision easy.. i loved that sfdr but never had a chance to use it live, worried it wouldn't have enough headroom. i also loved the vibrolux custom i briefly had which i know cuts through pretty well and have heard great things about the sf version

i've always wanted to run a stereo rig for panning and delay.. along with having a wider sound

decision: i'm going to buy a sfdr and a sf vibrolux :)

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

Jeez, a SFDR is too quiet! What kind of clubs are you people playing at?

The kind that have mics and PAs...

Is this uncommon? Because I hear this a lot on the forum-- "such and such isn't enough watts"-- but I've never played a club in Los Angeles that didn't mic the guitar amps anyway.

I set my Blackbird at 10 o'clock, where it's just barely starting to add grind, then use pedals to push it. Simple enough.

• Members

Originally posted by (((echo)))

i also loved the vibrolux custom i briefly had which i know cuts through pretty well and have heard great things about the sf version

Vibrolux Custom and the BF/SF Vibrolux Reverb are too different beasts.

The Vibrolux Custom started as the Vibroverb RI, but when the name changed, they made a lot of circuit changes. These included changing the preamp for a lot less headroom and more aggresive tone.

A SF Vibrolux Reverb will have more headroom, and more of the honky-tonk Fender sparkle and spank to it.

• Members

Originally posted by Wyatt

Vibrolux Custom and the BF/SF Vibrolux Reverb are too different beasts.

The Vibrolux Custom started as the Vibroverb RI, but when the name changed, they made a lot of circuit changes. These included changing the preamp for a lot less headroom and more aggresive tone.

A SF Vibrolux Reverb will have more headroom, and more of the honky-tonk Fender sparkle and spank to it.

thanks, that's fine with me.. it's more about the 210's and higher headroom, i think that would compliment a deluxe reverb pretty well. the vibrolux with it's higher headroom and slightly different flavor would also be great for other uses rather than having two of the same amps

• Members

Olle.. why not get Rob to build you a VAC? I think those are rated at 22 watts? He might be able to make the clean channel abit more black or silverfaced than tweedy?

That's actually something I've been wondering about myself.

I've got a 82/83 Pro Reverb (black-face cosmetics, MV + higher wattage like the silver faces) and it does the Fender clean thing well, if not a hair cold... but I've always craved an AC30 and have been debating getting Rob to build me a Hayseed... thinking maybe he'd cut me a deal if I bought both a Hayseed and a VAC, because I (like you) don't want to not have that Fendery Clean. And with the VAC, I'd also get a good semi-Marshally dirty channel (which obviously the Pro Reverb doesn't give me). So between those two amps I should be able to get all the amp sounds I like.

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

The kind that have mics and PAs...

Is this uncommon? Because I hear this a lot on the forum-- "such and such isn't enough watts"-- but I've never played a club in Los Angeles that didn't mic the guitar amps anyway.

I set my Blackbird at 10 o'clock, where it's just barely starting to add grind, then use pedals to push it. Simple enough.

It might be a big city thing. Thats certainly my experience of London & NYC. It's very rare I see anyone with anything much bigger than a SFDR. My friend has a Super Reverb and he never gets it above 2-3.

• Members

definitely not just a big city issue.. i've played maybe 50-60 shows in this area over the years and can only remember a handful of times i wasn't mic'd and those were probably by choice and/or non pa things at corner bars and bowling alleys early on.. even then i never had any of my amps anywhere near overdriven. i'm just always worried about having enough headroom but the only lower wattage amp i've tried in a band setting was a blues junior so i probably haven't given them a fair shot.

i know this.. twins and ac30's sound amazing but not so much at low levels which is how i play them 95% of the time. i guess it's time for me to move on to lower wattage amps

• Members

i know this.. twins and ac30's sound amazing but not so much at low levels which is how i play them 95% of the time. i guess it's time for me to move on to lower wattage amps

Definitely try it out. I made the move about a year ago and haven't looked back since. The sound and feel of a "pushed" amp is something you cannot duplicate with pedals or even describe in words. It's a revelation.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by (((echo)))

it's time for me to move on to lower wattage amps

I finally made the move to a small Fender amp. I had my amp guy take a 70' Princeton Reverb chassis and build a little more powerful amp. He put in a Deluxe OT, 12" Eminence Governor,and installed the Torres gain stage mod. Now, the amp puts out about 18 loud watts. It's actuallly louder and cleaner than my 72'(65' Blackface modded) Deluxe Reverb. I've used it in every club we play at, and several concerts we've done with no volume issues. It's my main gigging amp.

100_0173.jpg

100_0174.jpg

Here's the rest of the bunch that doesn't see much action now that I use my 70' PR.

100_0168.jpg

• Members

Cool I would love to find a trashed up Princeton to do this. It would make travelling on the subway a breeze.

Originally posted by skipstar59

I finally made the move to a small Fender amp. I had my amp guy take a 70' Princeton Reverb chassis and build a little more powerful amp. He put in a Deluxe OT, 12" Eminence Governor,and installed the Torres gain stage mod. Now, the amp puts out about 18 loud watts. It's actuallly louder and cleaner than my 72'(65' Blackface modded) Deluxe Reverb. I've used it in every club we play at, and several concerts we've done with no volume issues. It's my main gigging amp.

100_0173.jpg
100_0174.jpg

Here's the rest of the bunch that doesn't see much action now that I use my 70' PR.

100_0168.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by skipstar59

100_0173.jpg
100_0174.jpg

100_0168.jpg

Good god I would never leave my room with that many amps to play with. Nice collection! :thu:

• Members

Fargen Blackbird for sure.

It has 20 watt (2x6v6), 30 watt (4x6v6), 40 watt (2x6L6) and 80 watt (4x6L6) versions.

You might like a Dr Z Z28 too. I had one and may try to get one again (combo this time though). It's been described as a brown tolex deluxe with stronger bottom end. Different tone than the blackface or silverface you seek though.

taco

Archived