Played a Fender Deluxe Reverb SF today

• Members

First day of recording today.....went really well.

I was going to use my fender champ sf + lovepedal amp but it sounded really weak....needed bigger sounds so i pulled out this old SF non master Deluxe Reverb and a Laney something for stereo....

damn the Deluxe Reverb is one sweet amp....holy {censored} ! loved my pedals as well....

Those are hard to find i guess...but are there any new amps that are based on the old deluxe reverb ?

maybe victoria amps has something similar ?

:)

• Members

Originally posted by (((echo)))

one of the best tones i've heard was the sfdr i got a few years back.. sadly the cabinet was busted during shipping so i had to send it back. i've wanted to get another since, not sure if it's enough amp for live use though
:confused:

Should be plenty, unless you're playing tons of gigs in large clubs with no PA.

• Members

one of the best tones i've heard was the sfdr i got a few years back.. sadly the cabinet was busted during shipping so i had to send it back. i've wanted to get another since, not sure if it's enough amp for live use though

I've got a 70' SF Princeton Reverb that I built from a chassis. I had my amp guy put in a 72' Deluxe OT, and a 12" Eminence Governor. This thing puts out about 18 loud watts.It's been blackfaced in and out.

It's actually louder and sweeter sounding that my 72' (65' Blackfaced) Deluxe Reverb.It's my main go to amp. I've used it live on big concert stages and I don't have to turn it up any louder than 3 1/2. I have it tilted back toward me like a monitor so I can hear it well. It's basically a Princeton, Deluxe Hybrid amp now and it gives me all Fender tone in a very portable package.

PrincetonAmp4.jpg

• Members

Those are hard to find i guess...but are there any new amps that are based on the old deluxe reverb ?

I have THIS one:

http://www.fargenamps.com/blackbird.html

And it smokes. Super responsive, easy to push into endless sustain, LOVES pedals of all types. Low wattage rating, but I've seen people play stadiums with these guys... just mic it up.

:thu:

• Members

There is the aforementioned Fargen B Blackbird...

And the Allen Accomplice...

http://www.allenamps.com/

There was the Winfield-THomas Elizabeth (a bargian at $599), but he dropped it...

http://www.winfieldamps.com/

And then Mojo and WeberVST each offer kits to DIY.

I have the Accomplice, it's a nice BFDR clone (sans trem, which I miss), with a RAW control (slowly dials out the tone stack fro more midrange and overdrive) and post-PI master volume. They can be great deals used.

• Members

yr right...it would break up too early for live use....its a perfect amp for recording though.....maybe something that sounds like a DR but with more watts ?

• Members

Originally posted by ollenorin

yr right...it would break up too early for live use....its a perfect amp for recording though.....maybe something that sounds like a DR but with more watts ?

part of the tone is the 6V6 tubes which you can't find in a higher powered fender. I think the vibrolux, pro reverb, bandmaster reverb are probably the next logical step up in power while still being similar to the deluxe reverb.

Weber sells a 5E3 x 2 that might fit the bill.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

part of the tone is the 6V6 tubes which you can't find in a higher powered fender. I think the vibrolux, pro reverb, bandmaster reverb are probably the next logical step up in power while still being similar to the deluxe reverb.

Weber sells a 5E3 x 2 that might fit the bill.

ok...thanks for the help ! The pro reverb would be great but are hard to fnd as well....

would an amp with this config be something similar to the deluxe reverb ?

Poweramp 2x GT6L6S (KT66/5881)

Pream 4x GT12AX7C/ECC83

Channels 1

Rectifier 1x 5AR4 Sovtek (Russian)

50 watts

?

• Members

Jeez, a SFDR is too quiet! What kind of clubs are you people playing at?

On the silverface, if you want a silverface I'd just get a silverface. They're still a lot less than the boutique clones that are being posted. Even in NYC the top-end pricing is about $850 (which is too high IMO but what do I know?), all the clones are over $1K it seems.

Look for a late 60s or early 70s model and if you find a blackface DR for cheap then just jump on that.

And no 6L6s won't sound the same as 6V6s, but the Fender Vibrolux should sound closest because its the same circuit just about.

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

Jeez, a SFDR is too quiet! What kind of clubs are you people playing at?

On the silverface, if you want a silverface I'd just get a silverface. They're still a lot less than the boutique clones that are being posted. Even in NYC the top-end pricing is about $850 (which is too high IMO but what do I know?), all the clones are over $1K it seems.

Look for a late 60s or early 70s model and if you find a blackface DR for cheap then just jump on that.

And no 6L6s won't sound the same as 6V6s, but the Fender Vibrolux should sound closest because its the same circuit just about.

well it started to break up maybe a bit too early if i were to use the pedals i want to...it sounded fantastic at the recording though....i played it at volume 3-4.

• Members

sorry but no way to tell from just those specs.

As mentioned nothing will sound likea deluxe unless it has 6V6 tubes. The 6L6 is gunna sound different.

If one deluxe isn't loud enough, think about two... :thu:

ok...thanks for the help ! The pro reverb would be great but are hard to fnd as well....

would an amp with this config be something similar to the deluxe reverb ?

Poweramp 2x GT6L6S (KT66/5881)

Pream 4x GT12AX7C/ECC83

Channels 1

Rectifier 1x 5AR4 Sovtek (Russian)

50 watts

?

• Members

If one deluxe isn't loud enough, think about two...
:thu:

I would love to play to a crowd were one Deluxe wasn't enough. Bill Kirchen was able to play big rooms with one for decades. Drop an efficent speaker in there and it'll be plenty for bars ... if you don't mind bluesy overdrive. If you need steel guitar cleans, then I would move up to a bigger amp.

I keep mine A/B/Y'd with my Tweed Deluxe for a clean/dirty/both setup. Sort of like a big heavy Carr and Tone King setup.

• Members

im sure its LOUD enough....BUT what i like is a LOUD sound thats not totally overdriven but more clean/semiclean where i can use pedals and fuzzes....

thats why 22 watts might be not enough live....

do you understand ? :)

im using a hiwatt custom 50, hayseed 30 right now and they are louder and cleaner than the deluxe reverb at gigging-volume BUT dont have that smooth fender sound i also love.

• Members

im sure its LOUD enough....BUT what i like is a LOUD sound thats not totally overdriven but more clean/semiclean where i can use pedals and fuzzes....

do you understand ?

im using a hiwatt custom 50, hayseed 30 right now and they are louder and cleaner than the deluxe reverb at gigging-volume BUT dont have that smooth fender sound i also love.

In that case, definitely go at least Fender Vibrolux, Allen Old Flame, or equivalent.

• Members

here's problem with that. That "smooth fender" sound is the sound of the 6V6 tubes being pushed to the limit and compressing, the tube rectifier sagging, the output transformer saturating. It's a combination of all those things together that give that deluxe it's tone. You're not gunna get the same sound with a bigger amp with more headroom.

do you understand ?

• Members

here's problem with that. That "smooth fender" sound is the sound of the 6V6 tubes being pushed to the limit and compressing, the tube rectifier sagging, the output transformer saturating. It's a combination of all those things together that give that deluxe it's tone. You're not gunna get the same sound with a bigger amp with more headroom.

A deluxe isnt exactly saturating on 3 I don't think...

I think a Vibrolux would be perfect, can't imagine getting much closer than that.

Archived