UD Stomp

p00n

• Members

What do you want to know ?? The build quality is fantatic. It sounds very good and is able of doing many out-of-this-world effects. The delay time goes down to 0.02ms and there is also modulation (with various waveforms!!), phase reverse so you can do all kinds of delays, chorus, flanger, thru-zero-flangers, phasing etc... It's a very deep unit... Some of the factory presets are very well designed so it's very usable right out of the box. it's a very deep unit and you can lost yourself for days tweaking it. The tap tempo is not very ergonomic though and it doesn't sync to midi clock which is a shame. Apart from that, it's very close to perfect !!

• Members

Awesome! Thx for the replies. How user friendly is it live? Sorry for such basic questions, have read the manual but couldn't get most of it without the pedal physically in my hands to tweak. Mainly would like to get an Edge style delay like on 'Where the streets have no name', and of course some basic delay modes with tap tempo for use live, atmospheric stuff, and some more elaborate forms when playing experimental stuff with my band.

What I gather is that you have to hold on to the tap button before you can actually tap your tempo in? How does that work out live? And for looping, its not as straightforward as, say a DL-4, where its just play/pause, record? (I don't even have a DL-4 btw, borrowed one briefly from a friend.)

• Members

Originally posted by p00n

Awesome! Thx for the replies. How user friendly is it live? Sorry for such basic questions, have read the manual but couldn't get most of it without the pedal physically in my hands to tweak. Mainly would like to get an Edge style delay like on 'Where the streets have no name', and of course some basic delay modes with tap tempo for use live, atmospheric stuff, and some more elaborate forms when playing experimental stuff with my band.

What I gather is that you have to hold on to the tap button before you can actually tap your tempo in? How does that work out live? And for looping, its not as straightforward as, say a DL-4, where its just play/pause, record? (I don't even have a DL-4 btw, borrowed one briefly from a friend.)

Live, tap tempo is not easy on the fly. It's easy before starting a song though. But, in case it's not enough for you, you can use another external midi controller to enter tap tempo directly. Also, for looping, it's really not the right tool either. 5s is too short IMHO for any kind of serious looping.

• Members

Ahhhhh ok. If you can't tap tempo for all bands, is there a way to change the tempo for all bands without individually getting into them and changing them? Do you guys use an external midi controller live, or do are you content with 3 patches, or do you change banks per song? Also with an expression pedal, can you change a parameter, eg. feedback, across the board for all 8 bands? And how do you toggle back to your setting after using the expression pedal?

Sorry for the bunch of questions, delay noob here.

• Members

Ahhhhh ok. If you can't tap tempo for all bands, is there a way to change the tempo for all bands without individually getting into them and changing them? Do you guys use an external midi controller live, or do are you content with 3 patches, or do you change banks per song? Also with an expression pedal, can you change a parameter, eg. feedback, across the board for all 8 bands? And how do you toggle back to your setting after using the expression pedal?

Sorry for the bunch of questions, delay noob here.

No you must tweak each parameter for each band. I use an external midi controller. You can change several parameters at once with a pedal or the included "all purpose" expression knob (it's an assignable knob on a per patch basis).

• Members

Oh yeah I forgot. You can obviously assign the same midi control for tap tempo for several delay bands. And, there also is a tap (as in multi-tap delay) parameter for each band which means you can do nice rythmic effects using several bands synced together. Look up the manual to understand what I'm saying, it's a very powerful feature. You could for example preset any kind of 8-note rythm and then use the tap tempo to play it at whatever tempo you want.

Also, regarding the assignable controller knob on the unit (and for the external pedal too), you can specify min-max values for each parameter controlled by it. For example, you can use it to change several delay time at once with various values so you can go from a nice slap-back effect to a long reverb.

• Members

Great, thx for all the help Mr Luminous, what midi controller are you using btw? I assume something like the behringer might do the job at a reasonable price?

I used different controllers with it, Lexicon MPX-R1, Behringer FCB1010 etc. I would advise the behringer because it's so cheap.

Originally posted by Vince

whe I had one briefly, I thought you could tap the global tempo by setting each of the following delays (after the first one) to be a percentage of the first tempo.

I don't think so but I could be wrong. It's the tap parameter I mentionned earlier that you can set to a percentage of the delay time for each band.

Archived