i miss phish

• Members

they were "better" in the earlier years because they were more sick and insane, loose and loopy while still being one of the tightest "jam" bands out there. Seeing those guys rip through David Bowie was something to hear.

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

I didn't get into Phish until like '97 or so. I I've heard over and over again how they used to better, and so forth. But I loved it. I didn't need them to be so perfectly tight. In fact, I loved the tones he was getting from like '99 on better than some of the early shows I heard where he was technically more proficient. Big fat tones, less sterile precision.

But either way, I like life with it better than without it.

There's just something that Trey does that satisfies me so throroughly. I saw Panic last week and though I enjoyed it, it just didn't hit those levels that I get from Trey.

I love that name, the ambiguously trey duo. That was hilarious.

• Members

Will they be back? Maybe, probably. Do they have anything booked? Probably. Phish has had MSG booked for NYE for like 10 years or more. They have to commit by a certain date each year but they always have first choice. Have Tom and Trey written new songs? Yes, and Trey is already playing them...sorry they aren't for when Phish comes back. Some good REAL news...Page has a new album coming out that Trey plays some on. If you don't see it at phish.com don't believe it. See your on tour.;)

• Members

I loved Phish in my day, probably saw 30 shows or so, but hey...

There are a million bootlegs out there for you to listen to, and let's face it, the band didn't write any great songs or break new ground for the last couple of years they were together... it truly seems like their time had come. I respect them for calling it quits and moving on before things got (too) embarrassing.

(I also think Trey's playing went to {censored} toward the end, but that's a discussion for a 'nother time. Man needs to lay off the yayo.)

• Members

I missed that tour because I didn't have the dough when they were in Vegas
thought I'd catch them in the Summer
little did I know that it was over...

I saw this show in the theaters when they broadcast it live
I figure there are worse ways to spend 12 bucks

• Members

They lost me earlier than that...

I remember seeing them at college in 1990 - a brilliant improvisional ensemble back in the early/mid 90s period, but they gave up the ghost, for me, soon after...

They'll tour again; they all "come back."

• Members
Originally posted by agentcooper2001

i've always liked Phish, but after '98 they seemed to lose the magic they had. I would like to see trey, mike, john & page play together again, but maybe under another name.

yea.. i know but they sloppy.. but still great.

can you say HEROIN?:wave:

• Members

It wasn't the sloppiness, per se... it was the lack of inspiration or musical direction I sensed heading into the 00's. I didn't like all the generic pop songs Trey was writing and I didn't think the band was pushing any musical envelopes together or grooving the way they used to. The fire just seemed to have died out.

(And I LOVE pop songs, for the record-- but Trey's are no good. Maybe he can attend a songwriting camp led by James Mercer or something.)

Plus, the drugs were taking their toll, and many of the latter-year shows were sloppy and NOT soulful. I'm not a note nazi, but I do want the band to sound like they're playing the same arena together.

• Members

I think any Phish fan would agree that Phish playing less than average shows is still better than no Phish. Still for whatever reason I felt a great burden lifted off me at my last Phish show. I felt like I could really let the band go and focus on other music but as long as they were around I would continue seeing them even if they played bad shows...see: my last show 8/9/04...worst Phish show I've ever seen, but the Bowie encore was a nice way to end it all.

• Members

Originally posted by phishmarisol

I think any Phish fan would agree that Phish playing less than average shows is still better than no Phish. Still for whatever reason I felt a great burden lifted off me at my last Phish show. I felt like I could really let the band go and focus on other music but as long as they were around I would continue seeing them even if they played bad shows...see: my last show 8/9/04...worst Phish show I've ever seen, but the Bowie encore was a nice way to end it all.

uh oh

I got that show and I like it

it's just got a bunch of tunes I like

• Members
Originally posted by phishmarisol

i too felt that burden lifted ,saw coventry night 2 ON STAGE LEFT.. SOBER i might add!!! night 1 i was tripping so bad i told myself nothing would be better for tomorrow than to be clean and watch this end... i cried a few times but it felt serine at the end. none the less i miss them playing together. trey is really making himself look bad- hardly the artist he claimed he would become when it ended. so come on halloween......:idea:

• Members
Originally posted by AnalogJunkie

trey is really making himself look bad- hardly the artist he claimed he would become when it ended. so come on halloween......
:idea:

Well, tell me one great cokehead artist...

I'm not holding my breath.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by tmd187

I would love to know where this information about Phish coming back is located at. C'mon I know we all want to believe that some day, Phish will return. But if you look at it from my standpoint, after seeing 138 shows from 97-2004, things got really {censored}ty, and Trey had a problem, which he has taken care of, but after reading some Guitar World, and other Interviews with Trey, I don't think Phish will ever play again, but I didn't say that Trey, Mike, Page, and Fish wouldn't, now did I! Where is this bookings at the Garden and Spectrum info at? If you are going to bring {censored} up, you better have the source to back it up. Don't get people's pheelings twisted by false hope. Do what I do, remember the good ole days when you saw and heard what made you pheel great inside. It's tough, and for those who don't understand what we are talking about, get a Live Shows, {censored} I'll send you some if you don't know Phish, and really blow your mind. They were the best Jam Band in my opinion, then again I never got to see the Dead, so that's left to personal interests, but I do know, that I miss them, I loved every second they were on stage, going backstage after shows and talking music with them. But I don't know if them ever coming back would be what we would want. They aren't Junta anymore, they don't have that 97' Fall Phunk, it just seems like they lost that ability to create onstage after Hiatus, except for a few shows, Vegas 03', SPAC 04'. But I guess time will tell, if anybody really wants to know the Secret, you can PM me, it's not for everybody to hear!

I wish they charged for comma use.

Archived