OT/ Body image in rock?

• Members

Should it matter in rock music if somebody is overweight a few pounds or just full on overweight? Would you not listen to a band if you saw a photo and there was a fat guy or girl in it ... would that stop you from listening to the music before you even heard it? Would you not want a person who was overweight IN your band? Do you care, does it matter, should it matter?

In a world of such body consciousness and body image being shoved in yer face 24 hours a day I think it's stupidity ... I look back at some great rock n rollers who had some weight on them and they rocked harder than allot of sweet skinnies!

Leslie West is one such dude and Frank Black is clearly another. I'm no suggesting a backlash where we all go out and sponsor an obese person into our bands but I really think all this body consciousness in modern culture and music is for the birds quite frankly.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Before MTV, that's how it was. I only knew about bands from the radio so it was always the music first. I think the whole "looks first" thing is why we have had so much mediocre music the last couple decades, with a few exceptions.

• Members

Originally posted by TeamoDave

Before MTV, that's how it was. I only knew about bands from the radio so it was always the music first. I think the whole "looks first" thing is why we have had so much mediocre music the last couple decades, with a few exceptions.

Good call man ... agreed!

These days and quite rightly since MTV and the record companies cottoned on to the advertising bonanza that comes from the VIDEO CLIP ... everything is style over substance ... the critereon is preening over talent.

TRAGIC!

• Members

I don't care too much...in the indie scene you aren't cool unless you have a little pudge.....in the mainstream you won't make it unless you have a washboard stomach and a butt you can bounce a quarter off of....

I'm not very superficial but at the same time it is uncomfortable for me to watch a big sweaty man on stage :D

• Members
Originally posted by inscho

I don't care too much...in the indie scene you aren't cool unless you have a little pudge.....in the mainstream you won't make it unless you have a washboard stomach and a butt you can bounce a quarter off of....

I'm not very superficial but at the same time it is uncomfortable for me to watch a big sweaty man on stage
:D

So you DO have a bit of image predjudice in you ... you associate something being wrong with big sweaty guys on stage as opposed to skinny sweaty men ... what's the real diff if they wail and the talent and the music is there?

Just askin ...

• Members

but at the same time the 2000s are nothing like the early 1990s...

Still, Metal is pretty huge these days. Look at all of the Hardcore and Metal festivals/tours. Not to mention the recent Stoner Rock craze. Every decade has the shiny, calculated pop groups and the not so mainstream groups with siezable followings.

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

So you DO have a bit of image predjudice in you ... you associate something being wrong with big sweaty guys on stage as opposed to skinny sweaty men ... what's the real diff of they wail and the talent and the music is there?

Just askin ...

their image has nothing to do with the music. If I find it hard to watch a big fat sweaty guy moving around on stage, it doesn't change my perception of the music. I find nothing wrong with overweight musicians, and for the most part I don't know what most of the bands I listen to look like. I just now found out that the screaming trees were overweight...and I've been listening to them for years :D

• Members

their image has nothing to do with the music. If I find it hard to watch a big fat sweaty guy moving around on stage, it doesn't change my perception of the music. I find nothing wrong with overweight musicians, and for the most part I don't know what most of the bands I listen to look like. I just now found out that the screaming trees were overweight...and I've been listening to them for years
:D

Yes but therein lies the rub ... I am saying the music has nothing to do with the image but you seemed to indicate that it may effect your ability to watch a band comfortably if they were overweight ... to which I added if the music is cool and they wail what difference does it make what they look like?

There is an inherent assumption that big guys can't move deftly on stage when so motivated ... Frank Black is pretty big these days but he can howl like a mofo and move when he wants to ... I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why it makes you uncomfortable?

• Members

Yes but therein lies the rub ... I am saying the music has nothing to do with the image but you seemed to indicate that it may effect your ability to watch a band comfortably if they were overweight ... to which I added if the music is cool and they wail what difference does it make what they look like?

There is an inherent assumption that big guys can't move deftly on stage when so motivated ... Frank Black is pretty big these days but he can howl like a mofo and move when he wants to ... I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why it makes you uncomfortable?

I don't have a lot of experience to draw on. I've never seen the pixies live, but if I did I think I would be too awestruck and captured by the music to care what they look like. I don't go out and watch a lot of live music...what I was reflecting back on were bands that weren't good to begin with.

does that make sense?

• Members

I don't have a lot of experience to draw on. I've never seen the pixies live, but if I did I think I would be too awestruck and captured by the music to care what they look like. I don't go out and watch a lot of live music...what I was reflecting back on were bands that weren't good to begin with.

does that make sense?

Yup I hear that ... but I'm interested in your views because it might be seen as a litmus of a broader view held by others also - so it's worth exploring just for my own interest cause modern culture and semiotics within it fascinate me.

That's why I asked if a band were great and you loved the music and then later saw a film clip of them and saw that they were big dudes and hardly svelt would it matter? I think people have allot of image predjudice in them that they don't want to admit to ... it's the same thing that people used to hassle Feisty about ... mostly it was because he was overweight ya see ...

• Members
Originally posted by TeamoDave

Even in film, which has always been a visual medium, our society's current obsession with beauty is hurting the quality of the product. All of the newly-discovered "Talent" (cough cough) are beautiful but can't act for {censored}. So everyone's scurrying around going, "Where's the next Dustin Hoffman?" and it's like, "Do you see anybody making films in their twenties who looks like Dustin Hoffman?"

Hoffman, Deniro, Pacino, Hackman, Nicholson-- these guys wouldn't even be able to audition these days, let alone land a leading role. So we get Orlando Bloom and Jake Gyllenhaal instead. Yay.
:thu:

• Members

That's why I asked if a band were great and you loved the music and then later saw a film clip of them and saw that they were big dudes and hardly svelt would it matter?

no it doesn't matter, when I really like a bands music I don't perceive them a single people I think of them an single entity.

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

Even in film, which has always been a visual medium, our society's current obsession with beauty is hurting the quality of the product. All of the newly-discovered "Talent" (cough cough) are beautiful but can't act for {censored}. So everyone's scurrying around going, "Where's the next Dustin Hoffman?" and it's like, "Do you see anybody making films in their twenties who looks like Dustin Hoffman?"

Hoffman, Deniro, Pacino, Hackman, Nicholson-- these guys wouldn't even be able to audition these days, let alone land a leading role. So we get Orlando Bloom and Jake Gyllenhaal instead. Yay.

:thu:

Right on ... I think about the era of actors I grew up on ...

Charles Bronson
Steve Mcqueen
James Coburn
Robert Mitchum
Gene Hackman
Lee Marvin
Sean Connery
Michael Caine
Marlon Brando
etc etc etc

What's the common denominator here?

• Members

Bowling For Soup get a good amount of airplay and have a guitarist who is morbidly obese. Blues Traveler same thing until their singer went on a diet (pretty much after their career crashed). Wilson Phillips had the fat chick.

The one that really shows your point would be Romeo Void who did not make it because of their obese singer (in their opinion...)

• Members

Originally posted by Sir H C

Bowling For Soup get a good amount of airplay and have a guitarist who is morbidly obese. Blues Traveler same thing until their singer went on a diet (pretty much after their career crashed). Wilson Phillips had the fat chick.

The one that really shows your point would be Romeo Void who did not make it because of their obese singer (in their opinion...)

Well for a kick off ... Blues Traveller were supposed to be fat right? They were truck stop - House of Blues fat steak eating types right ... John Belushi had already cleared the way for the image on that count.

I don't know Bowling for Soup ... but I really, really liked Romeo Void and recall the clip for Never say Never back in the day ... she looked ok to me then from memory.

The Wilson Phillips thing is a bust though, I mean those chicks are all industry royalty babies and had allot of forces behind them besides the talent to sing.

I guess a great example is Mamma Cass!

Archived