Delay stomp box recommendations?

• Members

I am looking for a good reasonably priced stomp box delay pedal for repro of a tape echo sound and sonic managling, pitch-shifting, time-shifting, and low-grade digital/analog artifacts.

Boss DD20-won't self oscillate.

Akai Headrush-delay time cannot be adjusted once the tempo is set. Won't self oscillate

Line 6 DLL4-sounded digital

H20-won't self oscillate.

Boss DD6-no tape echo sound

Echo Park-Flimsy knobs, too sensitive when adjustmenting delay settings.

• Members

Try a Carl Martin Red Repeat. It'll self oscillate and has a great tone knob for control of the repeats sound so you can get a good analog type tone or more digital tones. It sounds amazing for leads in the FX Loop of my Einstein. The best part is the price is great for such a quality pedal($110).

• Members

yeah, maybe one of the DOD analog pedals with the tape quality control? you can mess with the trim pots inside (one of?) them to get extra feedback and time.. pushing it as far as it goes will probably get you some nicely messed up repeats..

or the Marshall Echohead? it does the digital thing fine.. changing the delay time will get you all thos glitchy jumps. the analog setting is beautiful and then you have the tape (fluttery), modulation (phaser sweep) and reverse to play with..

• Members

I'm actually selling a DOD FX96 on Ebay now.

I have an AD-900 so I am selling it along with some other stuff to help pay for a Mojo Vibe i ordered.

It will self-oscillate quite well.

I would also recommend a FX90.

I have one of those and it is also very good (I'm not selling mine, it was my first analog delay)

another delay I have and would recommend is a Rockson Delay

these are in a boss casing and look rather generic, but have a great tone for slapback and feedback wonderfully

they are very limited in delay time (150-200ms)

they can be found quite cheap

If you don't need more than 330 ms of time a Boss DM-2 or DM-3 would be a great choice and could be had for close to the price of the DD-20

BTW I use a DD-20 and a Maxon AD-900

• Members

Thanks for the recommendations. The Marshall EH-1 Echohead sounded like a good pedal until I read about the quality issues...

The Carl Martin Red Repeat sounds like a great pedal but it a 1 trick pony.

What about stomp box delay pedals in the $180-$220 price range?

• Members

Originally posted by toneprophet

Thanks for the recommendations. The Marshall EH-1 Echohead sounded like a good pedal until I read about the quality issues...

The Carl Martin Red Repeat sounds like a great pedal but it a 1 trick pony.

What about stomp box delay pedals in the $180-$220 price range?

In that price range you're looking at a DD-20 or the DL-4. Can't beat the versatility on either of those units, and if you need self oscillation just get a cheap DOD analog delay off ebay.

• Members

the de7 is good ... but the switches can be unreliable. i know, i have it, and i use it all the time. it can be frustrating.

With all the features you want, it sounds like you need the byoc delay clone. its warm, self oscilates, and is 80 bucks. i have this one too, and its a great sounding delay. the switch is durable too.

• Members

Echo Park-Flimsy knobs, too sensitive when adjustmenting delay settings.

I've had mine almost as long as they've been out and the knobs have held up and I gig quite a bit. And about the sensitivity, it does take a little bit to get it zeroed in but I've never had problems getting good sounds with just a little time dialing.

• Members

Okay it looks like the winners are the Boss DD20 or the Echopark.

I had an echopark and I loved the sounds but was really concerned about the reliability. Anyone had any problems with the echopark breaking?

From what I have read the DD20 can do everything the echopark can do. And I think the oscillation can be done on the DD20 using the warp or twist feature. Plus its only 179 @ musicians friend now.

• Members

Okay it looks like the winners are the Boss DD20 or the Echopark.

I had an echopark and I loved the sounds but was really concerned about the reliability. Anyone had any problems with the echopark breaking?

From what I have read the DD20 can do everything the echopark can do. And I think the oscillation can be done on the DD20 using the warp or twist feature. Plus its only 179 @ musicians friend now.

Thats a great deal on the DD-20 brand new. Go for it. No reliability issues to worry about and easily one of the most popular pedals around here.

• Members

My expectations were high for the Boss DD-20, what a disappointment. Sadly the distortion added by the DD-20 and the change the DD-20 made to my tone were not acceptable. For my distorted tones I noticed the DD-20 added a little high end frequency and added some digital distortion. But the deal breaker was the non working LCD...

Sent it back. I am leaning towards the Echopark now because of all the stuff you can do with it, the guy I am recording for wants me to do a lot of textures and sound mangling. But my concerns with the Echopark are the flimsy switches, flimsy knobs, a slight thinness in sound, lack of fine tune adjustment to the delay time, and finally the reboot issue I read about on Musicians friend. Has anyone experienced a lot of quality issues with the Echopark? The other delay pedal I am looking at is the H20, but it

• Members

I don't even know what the reboot issue is. Ive never had any problem with my echo park. I dont even get noise and I use a 1 Spot. About the knobs, obviously it wouldnt stand up to someone standing on it but as long as you take care of it it'll last.

• Members

Originally posted by Hawkeye17

Try a Carl Martin Red Repeat. It'll self oscillate and has a great tone knob for control of the repeats sound so you can get a good analog type tone or more digital tones. It sounds amazing for leads in the FX Loop of my Einstein. The best part is the price is great for such a quality pedal($110).

I just tried a Red Repeat this lunchtime and it was a sack of balls, never heard anything so lifeless in all my life. And I couldn't even get it to self oscillate, I tried setting the echo to max but nothing happened.

Archived