Ohhh RESLY MACHINE!

• Members

Originally posted by Sir H C

Not an echo, is a phaser, similar to the Maestro one.

They also did the Resly tone. I know this is not PC, but the word "Resly" is a poor attempt to say Leslie.

Oh so I was right the first time then ... Oh man RESLY ... yup, like Eric Crapton!

OUCH!

• 11 months later...
  • Members

The 'Time' markings on the case are misleading, it's a Leslie effect. It has 3 speeds - the slowest is a swirly phase/chorus sound that reminds me of early Rush, the middle speed is a bit more extreme, then the fastest speed is like a true Leslie effect, it sounds very like a CLS-222 albeit in mono. You can speed up or slow down the effect by going from one button to another.

If you look at a Maestro PS-1 Phase Shifter you'll notice the cases are almost identical (apart from the button colour and graphics of course). I had a quick listen to the Maestro clips on Modezero and they sound similar, I'd have to listen more carefully to say if they are identical - perhaps they share the same internals?

My guess is that this pedal was designed to mimic the 'Resly' setting on the Shin-ei Resly Tone at a cheaper selling point. The Resly Machine doesn't have a photo-electric cell.

It sounds great - one major point worth noting is that it needs a strong input signal otherwise the effect can sound very weak. I use a Boss OD-1 in front of it. The ensuing driven Leslie sound is great if you like Physical Graffiti by Zeppelin.

They seem to be rare, I got lucky and found mine cheap - though it's a keeper until it eventually keels over. PS-1's seem to come up a lot on Ebay, it's possibly a quicker & cheaper way to get the same effect.

I read somewhere else (forget where) that the name derives from 'Rotary Leslie' or they just did a play on words to avoid copyright issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I listened again to the 1970's Maestro PS-1a Phase Shifter clips on ModeZero and the guitar clips sound like the Resly Machine.

According to this website the Maestro Phase Shifter is going to be reissued soon, along with the Ring Modulator.

Another site I happened across describes playing with the 3 trimpots inside a PS-1a, it says it can lead to spaceship sounds! I may not be able to resist messing with the Resly trimpots.

Edit>> Seifukusha, if you mean the first Resly pic that's a pic I've seen around the 'net, it's from a music shop that have a few NOS ones for sale - I was lucky and got mine cheap secondhand. If you mean the Owl pics then I don't know but they're funny :)

Archived