SCOD vs FD2 Last time I'm askin' :)

SeeMoore

• Members

Maybe we could use an 8-pin design instead and cut the cost/tone of the IC in half!

Or have a split chip with a footswitch (true bypass of course) that will switch between octal and decasextal modes for 8 or 16 pins of tone.

• Members

Originally posted by st. fermin

Maybe we could use an 8-pin design instead and cut the cost/tone of the IC in half!

Or have a split chip with a footswitch (true bypass of course) that will switch between octal and decasextal modes for 8 or 16 pins of tone.

Given that you can get great overdrive sounds out of 1/6th of a 4049, your first idea may work.

But since more is better, howsabout two stacked inverters, using all gates. Think of the power, the clarity, the quack-like goozle, the smokey aftertaste of almonds, the pure unadulterated majestic mojo of a 64-bit SCOD.

You could call it the Dual Core. No wait, Dual Core has already been used

• Members

Originally posted by dan-o-guitar

Think of the power, the clarity, the quack-like goozle, the smokey aftertaste of almonds, the pure unadulterated majestic mojo of a 64-bit SCOD.

I like the almond thing. But more like bitter almonds. Maybe have a 'cyanide' mode because it will kill absolutely every muthaf*cka in the room, including the player.

• Members

Originally posted by PurpleStrat

Hey Dan can you elaberate more on the OCD being a modded Rat thing? Can a Rat be modded to sound like an OCD?

Here is what I've been told (this is not based on reverse engineering by me)

The OCD is based on a Rat. The key difference is that the OCD uses MOSFETs in place of the standard 1N914 clipping diode pair. Whether or not Mr. Fuller has substitued other parts is unknown.

Given enough time and patience, I would assume one could build a stock Rat, and with various diode switching options, have a single pedal that accurately does:

a) Classic Rat

b) Turbo Rat

c) You Dirty Rat

d) OCD

Time and patience. That's the key.

• Members

While on the subject of Rat clones, Fuller, and Catalinbread, here's a fantastic little
of boutique pedal lore from the time machine (1999). A great showcase for Mr. Fuller's knack for making friends and influencing people.

Can I dig them up or what?

People change. I know I have, that was 7 years ago and I am sure Fuller has changed too.

• Members

Originally posted by Stoney Stomp

oh for {censored}s sake.. the SCOD sounds absolutely nothing like a RAT

I've played the SCOD through a Dr. Z Maz 38 and it totally killed.

I've also played it through a Fender Twin (sorry, closest thing to a DRRI that I've played it through) and it also sounded amazing. But Twins are good as an empty canvas so any good pedal should, in theory, sound pretty good through them

I've also played the FDII through two Dr Z amps. The Maz and a Carmen Ghia. It sounded Ok but Im kinda biased against the FDII. Its just too nasally for me. It's not to say it sounded bad...just not my cup of tea

I will say this though.. not sure why you're comparing these two OD's. They're really apples and oranges. If anything, I'd say you could use both for completely different applications

I'll prolly go with both, well 3, I have a MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe on a UPS truck....somewhere out there...

I'm thinking:

Strat>Blue Boy>SCOD>DD-20>Dr. Z Maz 38

Les Paul>FD2>DRRI

:idea: or :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by catalinbread

No need to worry. You probably won't fry anything but there is no benefit to running anything beyond 9V.

Cool, I'm not trying to change the tone, I'm just trying to work with my limited power supply options.

• Members

While on the subject of Rat clones, Fuller, and Catalinbread, here's a fantastic little
snippet
of boutique pedal lore from the time machine (1999). A great showcase for Mr. Fuller's knack for making friends and influencing people.

Can I dig them up or what?

Excuse me while I go and drop my Fulltone 70 into a waiste-basket.

What a {censored}nut.

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Tone Doctor

Parallel Distortion = More clarity, less noise, bigger sound.

OFO-picbetter.jpg

F.A.T. Sound

www.pigtronix.com

I said in the Pigtronix bashing thread that I would buy a good pedal from a builder even if they are dicks on this forum, you Tone Doctor have changed my mind. Not that I would have bought that {censored} any way. That pedal looks like something you would buy at Wal Mart for you 10 year old to make noise with.

• Members

just my 2cents:

scod = rat?

yes, .. there are similiarities. but the scod sounds 1000 times better with solo notes and for rhythm it is about what you prefer. i like the scod 100 times better there.

there are tonal differences and behaviours. maybe if you'd tell dm2 = ad80.. everyone would say no! but if you explain it to a digital delay man.. well..

:D

bwahahaha...

• Members

Where can I get me one o' them Disnortions? Looks like THA BOMB!

As for Robo, I think his trolling would be more effective if he actually had great tone. Unfortunately, he's posted clips, so the cat's out of the bag... :thu:

Archived