Whammy Experts -- Please Advise

endo23

• Members

OK, I emailed someone selling a Whammy II on the 'bay and according to them, the required adapter is actually 780 mA... so I'm gonna try that out tonight and see what's what.

Hopefully this will help someone out there, because I couldn't find this important bit of info ANYWHERE on the web, and I'm pretty handy with search engines.

Thanks to all those who helped out...

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

OK, I emailed someone selling a Whammy II on the 'bay and according to them, the required adapter is actually
780 mA
... so I'm gonna try that out tonight and see what's what.

Hopefully this will help someone out there, because I couldn't find this important bit of info ANYWHERE on the web, and I'm pretty handy with search engines.

Thanks to all those who helped out...

750 ma? :freak:

The manual says ALL WHAMMY want what I designated earlier 1.3 amp 9v ... but sure ok. Hope it works out.

• Members

Tiki, I hear ya buddy, but it's right on the back of the pedal, above the adapter jack. On mine I can only read "80" because the white lettering has faded... but it seems like this would be the correct info, as it's printed on the pedal.

Keep in mind the Whammy II is the black sheep of the Whammy family, with a different electronics scheme than any other Whammy...

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

Tiki, I hear ya buddy, but it's right on the back of the pedal, above the adapter jack. On mine I can only read "80" because the white lettering has faded... but it seems like this would be the correct info, as it's printed on the pedal.

Keep in mind the Whammy II is the black sheep of the Whammy family, with a different electronics scheme than any other Whammy...

Fair enough ... I was just surprised that's all because that's a massive difference from 1.3 Amps ... HUGE! But as you say if it's the Black Whammy in the family who am I to question what's printed on the box. The other reason I found it odd was because generally the Whammy require allot more power due to all the funky {censored} going on within so 750 sounded a bit odd to me.

Do keep one posted on the ensuing results!

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I use a Whammy II, and have for years. The Harman power supply is the original one that comes with the unit.

I have a different PS problem though. With mine, the power supply itself causes a wicked hum through my rig. I've isolated it to the PS by completely removing the Whammy from my signal chain (even unplugging the adapter from the Whammy while leaving it connected to the AC power supply on my board). The hum is really bad.

If I connect an AC extension cord to my board's power supply AC jack (Pedal Pad's power unit), and move the adapter away from the board, the hum gradually fades, the farther I move the adapter from the board, the less the hum gets. Unfortunately, for quick setups and tear downs, this isn't practical.

Does anyone know of anything else I can do to alleviate this problem? I know that Voodoo Labs sells a Pedal Power AC unit that works with the Whammy pedals, but I don't really want to spend $150 just to power an existing pedal, as I will probably not be getting any more AC powered pedals. I've emailed tech support at Digitech and haven't heard back from them, though it's only been a little while.

On an unrelated note, have any of you Whammy II users noticed issues with the Bypass/Toggle set switch? I've owned two of these units (the first was stolen) and have had this switch go bad on BOTH of them. I'm currently awaiting a replacement switch now so I can get it fixed. But it seems this switch wears out. I don't slam the switch, actually, because there's no tactile feedback when switching it, I usually barely tap it.

For those who've asked why the Whammy II over the newer reissue Whammy 4, there are two reasons. First, as the II was the first Whammy I had, I got real used to the "toggle" mode, where you can switch between two settings at the kick of a switch. Also, for my needs, I must be able to switch between settings, mid song, without bending down and twisting a knob. So, the II is the only solution that works for me.

Also, I tried one of the reissues a few years ago, and I'd swear that there was note latency. I noticed it in a bunch of "harmony" effects pedals I tried, even had it in my old TSR24 which had Whammy effects built in, controlled by a MIDI controller.....

• Members

The text below the power outlet on the W2 says 9VAC 780mA.

I have what I think is the original adapter and the current HPro adapter for the W2. The original one is 9.75VAC and 820mA and the current one is 9VAC 1300mA. Both work with the W2. I haven't had any noise issues with the pedal and there is no sound difference between the two power supplies.

I'm wondering if this problem you are having is why you got the pedal so cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

hi
i've lost my WhII adapter ... and i look a picture of the original adapter on the web and says it is ...Plug-in class II ,780ma ...
i've tried a adapter with the class II plug and it doesn't fit in my whammy

someone knows wich Plug this Whammy II requires ?

:wave:

Archived