OT; Deadwood - any other fans?

• Members

I have to admit I got into this show last year and own both season 1 and 2 on DVD ... suffice it say I'm addicted to this COCKSUCKER! Was there ever a more likeable group of miscreants and cunts in a western anywhere before?

Ya can't beat Swearangin at the Gem ... hanging out for Season 3 which I think is happening in the US right now on HBO, no? So no plot spoiler please! :cool:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

me - i love that {censored}.

too bad HBO cancelled it.
I think Willie Nelson was actually going to get a small character on the show too...sucks.

I was looking forward to that.

they killed Wild Bill off WAAAAAY too early.

• Members

Tiki,

Took me a while to get into it, mostly because I'd just catch a random episode at a friend's place and have no {censored}ing CLUE what was happening.

A few months back I started over-- Season One, Episode One-- and have been hooked ever since. Quickly plowed through Season Two, and am watching Three on HBO every week. And yeah, Ian McShane is a total badass. I pity the fool who has to play a Wild West heavy after him.

I would highly recommend checking out HBO's THE WIRE, too. It's a totally different setting (police and drug dealers in West Baltimore, Maryland) but the writing is Deadwood's equal. Which is to say, some of the best in the history of television.

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

Tiki,

Took me a while to get into it, mostly because I'd just catch a random episode at a friend's place and have no {censored}ing CLUE what was happening.

A few months back I started over-- Season One, Episode One-- and have been hooked ever since. Quickly plowed through Season Two, and am watching Three on HBO every week. And yeah, Ian McShane is a total badass. I pity the fool who has to play a Wild West heavy after him.

I would highly recommend checking out HBO's THE WIRE, too. It's a totally different setting (police and drug dealers in West Baltimore, Maryland) but the writing is Deadwood's equal. Which is to say, some of the best in the history of television.

I'm re-watching Season II as we speak and it's just mind blowingly GOOD! The writing, acting, sets the works ... has there ever been anything it's equal in terms of Western grit and grime? I've long been a Spag Western man and adore the entire Sergio Leone scene and grew up on all that so Deadwood was like Nirvana for me when I first saw it.

I heard that they were wrapping it up after Season III with two 2 hour full length movie features - this was from a TV insider. Now as to the WIRE I have heard of it only but others have said exactly what you said and that it's only equal was the Deadwood and a fan of one would easily subscribe to the other - and since I find myself also heavily partial to heavy cop and crime drama I better see if I can find the WIRE on DVD also!

How many seasons of the Wire are we into?

Oh and if you love Deadwood and care to see an Australian outback film set in the Aussie Bushranging days of the 1800's I seriously recommend you get a film called The Proposition ... written and scored by Nick Cave - directed by John Hillcott and starring Guy Pierce and many other great Aussie and English actors including John Hurt ... it's heavy, violent, grimey and dark!

• Members

Tiki, THE WIRE has run for three seasons. Season FOUR is in the can and will air on HBO this year, most likely after Deadwood finishes its run.

Seasons ONE and TWO are already on DVD and Season Three will probably be out around the time FOUR airs. (Or if you're savvy, you can just BitTorrent it.)

I have heard the same inside info about the Deadwood movies-- let's hope they live up to the promise of the first two seasons.

(Oh, and if you like crime shows, prepare yourself-- THE WIRE will become your new favorite entertainment. Personal guarantee.)

• Members

I'm there ... I checked my local and it seems only Season 1 of the Wire is available here right now but that's a good start - they will likely release the others in due course. However I have to get Season 2 of Battlestar Galactica first since that is an addiction supreme for me since 1979's first incarnation!

Get the Proposition by the way!

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

T-Bone,

Proposition just hit theaters here (came and went) so it won't be available on DVD for a while... but yes, it's been on my list and I'll watch it ASAP.

T-bone?

You can get the Proposition from US Amazon no problems ... just buy a copy you won't regret it! The score by Cave is awesome also ... will also give you a very real insight into the Australian wild west in the 1800's and how it differed to the US but in that the two countries share some pioneering similarities of colonial past.

• Members
Originally posted by utterhack

al_swearengen.jpg

I don't think they'll really ever top that first season, but Deadwood should have gone on for as long as Milch felt like making it.

"Anyways..."

Indeed ... was there any reason why it was cancelled? Did it come from Milch or was it HBO? On another tangent it may have also come down to securing the same leads for a continuance without their wanting to leave and do other projects though {censored} knows WHY they would want to kill something so beautiful as that cocksucking legend of a show is beyond me!

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Indeed ... was there any reason why it was cancelled? Did it come from Milch or was it HBO? On another tangent it may have also come down to securing the same leads for a continuance without their wanting to leave and do other projects though {censored} knows WHY they would want to kill something so beautiful as that cocksucking legend of a show is beyond me!

one reason may be that the show Entourage took off in popularity, and HBO wanted to shift focus to it...

i just watched the DVD's first season of it, and was highly unimpressed.

yeesh...bad show.

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

one reason may be that the show Entourage took off in popularity, and HBO wanted to shift focus to it...

i just watched the DVD's first season of it, and was highly unimpressed.

yeesh...bad show.

I see ... so the cynical heirachy at HBO were already looking for a new hit before the feared decline of Deadwood ... ya gotta love these idiots!

• Members

I've seen seasons 1 and 2. Loved them!!!! I don't have cable at the moment, and won't be getting it back anytime soon. I don't think I could understand it though. With the DVDs, I turn the subtitles on. Without them I could never understand a single sentence from Pharnum (that cocksuckin' faggot!).

I think my favorite moment was watching the "boneshaker" head down the main drag to the cheers of the camp. What a crazy time!

• Members

I'm a bit of a head for ye olde speak and have had no such need of the subtitles though I find on repeated viewings that I catch allot more than on the first whip through. I love the language ... infact in many ways I wish people spoke more like that today ... they managed to make an eloquence of everything that is poetic - even foul language!

• Members

Yes ... definately but also Australian bushranging history which runs parallel to American Western history ... our outlaws were called Bushrangers and our Cowboys were known as ringers or jackaroos. So yeah, both Aussie and US westerns - grew up on em and devour them in all shapes and sizes.

Infact probably the best modern western I've seen in years was Tombstone with Kilmer as Holliday - I also read many historical accounts of Holliday and our own Ned Kelly and have quite a historical western library here at home - among my other interests.

Other notable classics I love and have on DVD.

The Missing
Open Plain
Tombstone
Butch & Sundance
Wild Bunch

Anything by Peckinpah ... All the Spag Westerns

Archived