What's the word on Electro-Harmonix pedals?

• Members

I'm not much of an effects guy, so I haven't researched all the pedals out there much. All I really know is that I hate most Boss pedals and love most MXRs.

How are Electro-Harmonix pedals though? They seem to be really flexible pedals that are priced well. Are they quality? What good/bad can you tell me about them in general? Thanks!

PS. I'm not really interested in hard-to-find, expensive boutique pedals at this point. I just need the best common pedal for the job that I can find easily and afford.

• Members

But to be helpful, The Small Clone Chorus is a good simple chorus. The Smallstone Phaser is good, but requires modification to eliminate volume drop when engaged. Muffs are decent if you like that kinda fuzz.

I have the HOG, but I imagine that is not what you're looking for.

What specific effects you interested in? There is good simple cheap stuff out there.

• Members

I've had a few MRX, Boss, Line 6, Digitech, and EH pedals. The EH pedals always seem to impress me. And they don't eat up batteries like other brands. Right now I have the Small Clone and it is used often on my cleans. EH hardly disappoints unlike other brands I've owned.

• Members

The Small Clone and Deluxe Memory Man are true classics. Polychorus is probably the coolest chorus I've ever heard, and there are a lot of big muff fans, although you have to know which version to buy, some of them are better than others from what I can tell.

• Members

Well, I now have two Electro-Harmonix pedals (Deluxe Memory Man, English Muff'n) and I'm on the lookout for more (Big Muff especially). The good things about the EHX pedals I've had experience with is that they sound really great and are extremely versatile. The bad thing is that they're made out of semi-flimsy sheet metal. Also, my DMM (which I believe is a slightly older model) has a very questionable bypass system. If you make it self-oscillate into noise then click it off, you can still faintly hear the oscillation. But whatever, no big deal really. I highly recommend Electro-Harmonix stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by drmanbear

The bad thing is that they're made out of semi-flimsy sheet metal.

Has this actually been a problem for you? I been stepping on these things for years and never broken one.

• Members

They are the best you can buy without buying boutique. IMHO.
I own the Wiggler and the Black finger compressor. I would own much more if there was more money in my pocket. I believe most new pedals are TB but still some buffered around. Highly recommended.

• Members

The word? Large, noisy, but some of them sound good.

I think the ri big muffs suck. A lot of people around here love the memory man (it was okay, not enough delay time). The electric mistress sounded good, but it was too large to keep. The microsynth was okay, it didn't do exactly what I wanted but there were some interesting noises to be had out of it. The tube zipper was pretty damn kewl, too, though I wish they'd make a smaller version of it without the tube dist that operated off of 9v batteries. That would be {censored}ing kewl. The small stone was pretty good, too, though it wasn't subtle enough fo rme. I've been through a few ehx pedals. :D:) I think they're one of the better mass produced companies, but I don't have a large enough budget to keep things that do exactly what I need. A lot of other gear has gone by the wayside, too, so I'm not just singling out ehx by any means. Check them out, though in some cases, boutique options aren't that more expensive then them.

Oh, and the construction seems fine. I hate the weird power supplies they all seem to need. Be warned, though, the paint jobs on these pedals absolutely suck.

• Members

I bought a Holy Grail a while back, and I like it a lot.

I tend to be more into multieffect boxes and such, but I haven't heard any multiboxes with a reverb like the Grail yet. I am intrigued by the POD Xt Live now though...

• Members

I love my Tube Zipper, especially when used as a muff-type distortion.

I also love the Graphic Fuzz, as the EQ makes for an excellent lead boost.

So, I would buy many of the others if I had the money. Especially the POG (which i think would be amazing on vocal parts ala Muse) :love:

I think they could do with making an SHO-style clean boost, sort of like a Screaming Tree/LPB-2 (vintage,non-tube) reissue in a Little Big Muff style box; i'd hit that harder than Kari from Mythbusters. :love:
karibyronomgz3nd.jpg

• Members

I have played through a small stone and clone and it sounds pretty darn good. I also bought the white finger compressor but just takes up a little too much real estate on the board. I have it for grabs on ebay.http://cgi.ebay.com/Electro-Harmonix-White-Finger-Compressor-Pedal_W0QQitemZ200004752108QQihZ010QQcategoryZ41414QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

1. yes, the metal boxesare kinda thin and squeaky. but try breaking 'em...see?!
2. yes, the silkscreen ink comes off because it's on unprimed metal.
3. and yes, they are some of the most versatile big name pedals out there. not only great sounding but with huge range--like the Mistress that's a chorus/leslie/flanger or the 3 waveform Pulsar that goes jet-fast or super slow, etc. i've always thought of EHX as the inspiration for a lot of the uber-versatile boutique stuff.

...oh and they're big.

• Members

Originally posted by opultaM

Has this actually been a problem for you? I been stepping on these things for years and never broken one.

No, this hasn't actually been a problem, but it's hard not to get a little nervous when you can press lightly on the housing with your finger and see it move. It just seems a little shoddy to me when you consider most of their pricing. The pedals SOUND great though, and I guess that's all that matters.

• Members

For sale: 1970s vintage Electro-Harmonix ELECTRIC MISTRESS FLANGER

Has that razor-edged bite and swirly flanging sound this vintage Mistress is famous for. This pedal has not been reissued, nor can it be in its vintage form as the delay chip it uses is no longer made.

In EXCELLENT condition - realigned and reconditioned so it works perfectly and looks almost new - I guarantee it!

This Electric Mistress has been CUSTOM MODDED to eliminate the volume drop when the effect is switched on.

$139, postpaid and batteries included!

If interested, email to howard.davis2@att.net

Archived