Ebay account hacked!

• Members

I would like to know how the hackers get the passwords... did you get tricked into entering your password by a phishing email which sent you to a phake ebay site?

Or was it a spyware program in your computer that found your password and sent it out to someone?

• Members

It happened to me too a little over a year ago. The hacker/douchebag changed some things on the auction I had going. I also lost my yahoo email address I was using with my ebay account. Ebay was somewhat helpful but it is very frustrating when you can not talk to someone over the phone.

How I believe it happened to me was that the person sent me an email asking if I would sell the item outside of ebay. I replied that I wasn't going to cancel the auction but would be happy to sell it to the person if it did not sell on ebay. I'm assuming the email contained some kind of key stroke tracer where the person could see what I was typing and thus saw what I typed next time I logged on to ebay. Through my own mistake I used the same password both for my email account and my ebay account and the hacker then changed the password for both accounts.

It was a bit of a hassle to get the ebay deal straightened out but I did. However my email account was gone for good as yahoo was completely unhelpful. I then canceled my ebay account and will not use ebay ever again. Just too risky for me to have that happen again.

• Members
Originally posted by analogmike

I would like to know how the hackers get the passwords... did you get tricked into entering your password by a phishing email which sent you to a phake ebay site?

Or was it a spyware program in your computer that found your password and sent it out to someone?

Mike,
I was not phished, nor did I enter the password anywhere. It was not an easy-to-guess password having anything to do with my name, ebay or HC ID or any numbers significant to my my age, DOB, or anything else. :confused: Beats me.

• Members

Beware of phishing SPAM emails pretending to be from ebay!

Some convincingly claim to be from ebay, or from someone offering something or interested in your offer on ebay, but these are really linked to phoney "ebay" websites. When you go there you are asked for your member name, password, etc., and this information is then used to hack your account.

Also watch out for fraudulent notices of questions from ebay members, requests for your account information for security purposes, requests to update your account, etc.

Archived