my 74 TELE DELUXE came today....

• Members

nut is not orig.

its a clean job....but i may throw a brass on there, or maybe a hand-carved bone.....
my buddy just got back from luthier school, and keeps tellin me that it is his specialty. we'll see.

i now have 3 teles

72 ri thinline.
52 ri tele.
74 tele deluxe.

the neck on the 72ri kinda feels cheap. not bad....just different....the finish on the neck just feels so permanent.

the neck on the 52 needs to be broken in more....i've worn off that nice smooth coating of lacquer...its getting through that sticky point right now.
i seem to have to wipe it down quite often.

the 74 is great. if the 52 will play like this in 30 years....it will be a hell of a guitar!!!! unfortunately....now that the dlx is in, i dont know how much time the 52 will get :)

• Members

Originally posted by gregovertone

the neck on the 72ri kinda feels cheap. not bad....just different....the finish on the neck just feels so permanent.

The finish on the MIJ necks seems really thick, but still pretty fast. So damn pale though..

• Members
Originally posted by joe_lechuza

The finish on the MIJ necks seems really thick, but still pretty fast. So damn pale though..

I love my 2 cij necks ..
The mim's I've had are good too , but feel cheap in comparison to cij.

The tele 52 ri is like butter , lil sticky but its popping right now .. I have to get used to the smaller frets, so far its working out great.

c7_12.jpg

My cij jazzmaster neck is the perfect ..
75_1.jpg

• Members

Greg,

That is a beauty. I had a 73 deluxe that was an absolute boat anchor. I got rid of it immediately. I hope that this one is a great player for you, as a lot of the 70's Fenders were hit/miss.

John

i hear ya brother.....i went to chicago, and i played about a dozen deluxes.....only 1 felt good.

and out of the 12ish i played.....a whopping ZERO were within a decent price range.

i scored mine off a gear-pager.....he shot me 34 pics of the guitar, and i decided to roll the dice.

it paid off....this is in better condish than the majority of the other guitars i tried....and is right on par w/ the good one in chicago.

i attribute it to the guitar being in a good environment for years, as well as being properly maintained.

i was sweating bullets for sure....but the guy on the other end of the transaction was great.....and really gave me very little to worry about.

• Members

i hear ya. i feel bad......i don't see the 72ri getting much playing time in the near future.

and it was a gift from the ol' lady.

she bought me the 72....which turned me on to tele's....which got me thinking about the 52 avri.....which got me thinkin about real vintage teles.....which led me here...vicious cycle.

congrats greggy mah boy!

thanks brother :)

Cool guitar. Hasnt buddy guy been sporting one of those in that color? I like it

i did not know that.......no polka dots? weeaaaak

I love my 2 cij necks ..

The mim's I've had are good too , but feel cheap in comparison to cij.

The tele 52 ri is like butter , lil sticky but its popping right now .. I have to get used to the smaller frets, so far its working out great.

i have had very limited opportunity to play cij/mij fenders. its unfortunate. i completely believe that the mim feels cheap in comparison......because honesty....my mim feels cheaply made, all the way around.

the 52 is slowly becoming one of my fav guitars ever....so versatile....i dramatically under-estimated the power of teles previously.

NICE !!!

i think the reissue -52 is a great compliment to the Tele Deluxe...very different sounds and feel of those two guitars.

Fender is my fav brand so you did good gregovertone !

thanks....ya Swedish bastard....now i need a jazzmaster...and you need some gibsons, and we will be official clones of eachother.

• Members

jammed the deluxe at practice last nite.

plays so well.

the pickups are hot. specifically, the bridge pickup.

i found that the bridge would feed back more than a couple other humbucker guitars i have.

but to be fair, i was only able to stand right in front of my amps at practice....about 5 feet off. next time, ill see if i can setup, and re-position.

overall, it was great. i think at the next practice, i may have to dial the amps a hair differently to react better w/ the guitar.

i approve :D

Archived