Possibility of a ZVex Seek-Factory?

• Members

I've been wondering if ZVex could make a Fuzz factory with the sequencing circuit to rotate through a set of different "stab" values. It would probably require a bigger box but it could definitly be cool. Anyone know if this is feasable?

• Members

Its possible.

It would be a challenge to fit in a 1590b size box. I guess because he couldnt use an optocoupler to isolate the clocking portions of the circuit from the fuzz factory circuit (due to the resistance of the stab pot) he would have to overcome noise problems. Perhaps thats why there isnt a seek factory?

• Members

Originally posted by zachary vex

might be interesting, but where to put the rest of the knobs for the fuzz factory circuit? i'm not changing box sizes just yet. 8^)

Those little 9mm pots you use for the sequencer could be located on the back of the box.

• Members

impossible. there's no room in that direction... look at the inside of a one of those sequenced pedals. the only place would be inside, on the other edge of the board, but i doubt there'd be room for the circuit with high-quality trimmers. i might be able to find some wafer-thin trimmers but they'd be unreliable.

• Members

impossible. there's no room in that direction... look at the inside of a one of those sequenced pedals. the only place would be inside, on the other edge of the board, but i doubt there'd be room for the circuit with high-quality trimmers. i might be able to find some wafer-thin trimmers but they'd be unreliable.

Impossible? Never!

I would make the Fuzz factory board about 10mm wide and lay the sequencer board horizontal.

• Members

Since there isnt a ZVex custom shop Ill just have to start calling and pestering you every day. Actually, If it was in a 1590 size box that wouldnt be bad at all. You would have tons of room to play in one of those. The stab is just a pot like the reqular trimmers are right? What would it take to integrate a sequencer into a Fuzz Factory?

• Members

none of my sequencer products uses control voltage... they use control current. if i made a sequencer with a voltage-out, it would have to be a new design. i'm not going in that direction at this time. the interest in modular synth stuff is pretty low right now, especially with guitarists. i can't afford to tool up for short runs... it's a time/energy drag on the company that i can't afford. most of my work right now is in solving bottlenecks and procurement of parts.

• Members

Originally posted by varialbender

I'm still wondering if the tremorama can be used as a sequencer for other boxes. Then all you'd have to do is add a jack for stab on the fuzz factory, and there's gotta be room for that.

Any word, Sir Vex?

I think its possible with minor modification.

Bearing in mind I have never as much as touched a Zvex sequencer pedal.

If the sequencer controls an optocoupler in the feedback loop of an inverting opamp stage you could tap the optocoupler to the output of the effect. If it is simply an optocoupler in the signal path attenuating the signal. It would be as simple as cutting a trace and tapping one leg of the optocoupler ,through a switch to make it reversable, onto the output jack and replacing the output jack with a stereo or isolated jack. You cant expect the optocoupler value to match that of your effect, which a parallel resistor may solve.

• Members

none of my sequencer products uses control voltage... they use control current. if i made a sequencer with a voltage-out, it would have to be a new design. i'm not going in that direction at this time. the interest in modular synth stuff is pretty low right now, especially with guitarists. i can't afford to tool up for short runs... it's a time/energy drag on the company that i can't afford. most of my work right now is in solving bottlenecks and procurement of parts.

What if you ran that current into a vactrol? You could probably offer that as a simple mod to the FF.

• Members

Originally posted by hempathy

If the sequencer controls an optocoupler in the feedback loop of an inverting opamp stage you could tap the optocoupler to the output of the effect. If it is simply an optocoupler in the signal path attenuating the signal. It would be as simple as cutting a trace and tapping one leg of the optocoupler ,through a switch to make it reversable, onto the output jack and replacing the output jack with a stereo or isolated jack. You cant expect the optocoupler value to match that of your effect, which a parallel resistor may solve.

Beat me to it.

• Members

Originally posted by hempathy

but it doesn't.

• Members
Originally posted by RitalinCupcake

Then stop arguing with the guy that designed it.
:p

I think it is an interesting conversation and shows that two builders can have a discussion about a pedal design without getting all bitchy. Or can they.....

*runs off to get the popcorn*

• Members

Originally posted by derek_32999

I think it is an interesting conversation and shows that two builders can have a discussion about a pedal design without getting all bitchy. Or can they.....

*runs off to get the popcorn*

I didnt see any arguing.

Just discussion about a couple of pedals.

No bitchyness involved.

Archived