Did Puretube invent the Flanger Hoax?

Blungo

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I don't particularly care for shoving tubes into pedals, but if you can improve upon the original product, more power to you.

Of course the only thing that could possibly make the Flanger Hoax a better pedal is a lower noise-floor. It's brilliant as is, really.

• Members

{censored} that stereo polyphase bull{censored}

The first time I bought one, I was really disappointed with it, so I sold it within weeks.

A year later, I found one for really cheap, so I decided to give it a second shot. It's not the end-all-be-all of phasers, but I really do like it now. The trick that I missed the first time around was setting the start and stop points in reverse.

• Members

I would love to see a Tube Tape Flanger/Chorus machine.

You never will see a real one. Vacuum tubes are incapable of producing an audible delay in audio signals, so are not capable of generating any delay-dependent effects, which include flanging and chorus.

It wouldn't surprise me though if someone puts out a flanger or chorus pedal with a tube or two in it, but you can be sure any such product is a ripoff - the actual effects being generated by solid state circuitry, and the tube there just as a way to sell to technically naive people that think tubes are great, and not practically worthless for guitar pedals - which they are.

See: http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/Tubesvs.SolidState.htm

Guitar pedal design engineering, repairs, and custom mods:

http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

• Members

You never will see a real one. Vacuum tubes are incapable of producing an audible delay in audio signals, so are not capable of generating any delay-dependent effects, which include flanging and chorus.

It wouldn't surprise me though if someone puts out a flanger or chorus pedal with a tube or two in it, but you can be sure any such product is a ripoff - the actual effects being generated by solid state circuitry, and the tube there just as a way to sell to technically naive people that think tubes are great, and not practically worthless for guitar pedals - which they are.

See:

Understood. But can the tubes be used as a preamp much in the same way they are used in an Echoplex?

• Members

See:

even something like the Black Finger, Tube Zipper, Hot Tubes etc. that are running the tubes at full plate voltage?

• Members

even something like the Black Finger, Tube Zipper, Hot Tubes etc. that are running the tubes at full plate voltage?

I think the difference here is that the tubes in those pedals are responsible for the majority of the effect going on, ie distortion and/or compression, whereas a delay-based effect like chorus&flanging have little-to-nothing to gain (unless you want 'gain' I guess) from tubes, other than naive dollars; sure anything could get some 'warming' or whatever from a tube or two, but there's no real benefit to putting such a thing into a chorus, vs just using a tube preamp pre, or post chorus..

• Members

Here`s looking forward to answering your latest questions

as soon as the HCFX-forum will have returned to a steady state...
;)

aaarrrggghhh....the suspense is killing me! I am contemplating selling my Ibanez CP-9 compressor for a Black Finger. Perhaps I should wait to see what is in store........

Archived