Any decent EQ pedals for under $100?

• Members

Hello AtomHeartMother,

If it's your Gilmore Jr that you want to 'chime-up', try putting a 47 to 220 pf cap across turrets 3 and 4. If that isn't enough, take that cap out (return to stock configuration) and install the 'V' mod. Here it is;

V Mod

--Add between turret #10 and the top lug (*see below) on the tone control a .002uf 400V Mallory 150 (closer to turret #10) followed by a 470K resistor (connects to the top lug on tone control)

--Change C2 to a silver mica 47pf/500V

--Remove R5 (100K) and add a jumper wire where it was

--Change C4 to a silver mica 220pf

--Add a 330K resistor between top lug on the Volume control and the bottom lug on Tone control.

* I have the controls in the amp so that the lugs point to the right when looking from the inside (amp upside-down), so there is a top, mid, and bottom.

• Members

Originally posted by Richard Guy

Hello AtomHeartMother,

If it's your Gilmore Jr that you want to 'chime-up', try putting a 47 to 220 pf cap across turrets 3 and 4. If that isn't enough, take that cap out (return to stock configuration) and install the 'V' mod. Here it is;

V Mod

--Add between turret #10 and the top lug (*see below) on the tone control a .002uf 400V Mallory 150 (closer to turret #10) followed by a 470K resistor (connects to the top lug on tone control)

--Change C2 to a silver mica 47pf/500V

--Remove R5 (100K) and add a jumper wire where it was

--Change C4 to a silver mica 220pf

--Add a 330K resistor between top lug on the Volume control and the bottom lug on Tone control.

* I have the controls in the amp so that the lugs point to the right when looking from the inside (amp upside-down), so there is a top, mid, and bottom.

A 47 and a 200 pf caps or one cap between those values? Would I get more brightness as the value gets higher (200 vs 47), if that is the case?

• Members
Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

A 47 and a 200 pf caps or one cap between those values? Would I get more brightness as the value gets higher (200 vs 47), if that is the case?

Yes, the higher the value, the brighter. I would try something near or under 100pf. If you would like me to send you a 47pf to try first and two 220 pf (wire in series for ~ 110pf), email me at support@guytronix.com , include your address :freak::thu:

You should try the 'V' mod if this is not enough.

• Members

Originally posted by slash81291

id say spend 10$ more and get a MXR 10 B EQ, or get one used.

If not, try the 7 band dano fish n chips.

i did not have luck with the boss ge7-it was VERY noisy.

IMO= Mxr>Dano>Boss

I'll try to find a used MXR.

So would you say that that cheap little Dano EQ is better quality than the Boss despite being $30 versus $100?

• Members
Originally posted by Richard Guy

Yes, the higher the value, the brighter. I would try something near or under 100pf. If you would like me to send you a 47pf to try first and two 220 pf (wire in series for ~ 110pf), email me at
support@guytronix.com
, include your address
:freak::thu:

You should try the 'V' mod if this is not enough.

I think that I have some caps lying around. I'll try them out. Thanks.

• Members

So would you say that that cheap little Dano EQ is better quality than the Boss despite being $30 versus $100?

AHM,

That's what folks are saying about the Dano EQ. I've installed 'Sniper-mods' in two GE7s here (one for my Son, one for me). The early GE7s are different than the newer units and both types can be improved by installing the mod. Actually, if you keep the overall gain slider at or near the flat detent and adjust the EQ, it really isn't too noisy. I like the BOSS unit since it is built to last. :freak:

• Members

i would say so, yes

it is quiet and transparent (other than intended tone shaping) even at high volume/gain levels which is alot more than i can say about a stock ge7

• Members

Originally posted by tri99er

sniper mod $25

monte allums mod $19.99

(near bottom of page)

I have to do the mods myself though. Is it hard to do these mods? I've done some wiring in guitars and an amp. Do they provide diagrams/instructions?

• Members

I have done the BD-2 H2O mod from monte allum, i never soldered before and was able to do it without a problem (although it took me 2 hours didn't want to mess anything up), instructions were extremely easy to follow, but as for any other DIY mod i have no idea how they would be.

• Members

I have a Dano F & C and power it with a GodLyke Power Supply. No noise, has a day and night effect on my board and I'm using one of the suggested settings on the instructions.

I play blues, blues based rock and like Metalica stuff from the Justice and Black albums.

Pedal Board

• Members

Originally posted by Aenima_0

I heard good stuff about Behringer's stomboxes.

Sure it's plastic, but with $20-30, you cant go wrong.

Plus, I heard their EQ is good as GE-7....tempting....

I use their EQ as a solo boost and it has worked well for me thus far. It IS plastic but there have been no issues with the quality, which is nice considering I do step on it with significant frequency (Sweet pun!). . .But yeah, there is only noise when you really push the mid and high frequency with a lot of gain attached - that for me happens when I kick it on with my Muff going. But then again I only have that noise while I am soloing, where it doesn't really matter anyway. . .If you are going for something that will be a keeper and a long held, durable stompbox, then I would probably go for the Boss with a sniper mod or the MXR, which is something I will eventually do when I get more money.

• Members

I have to do the mods myself though. Is it hard to do these mods? I've done some wiring in guitars and an amp. Do they provide diagrams/instructions?

AHM,

If you take your time you can do it. It is very important that you get some thin 'solder-wick'. That will help remove the original solder. If you use any other method to remove the solder, you stand a very good chance 'lifting' the copper traces on the PCB. Once the 'solder-wick' removes the solder, you can easily pry the original ICs up and off the PCB. :freak:;)

• Members

So would a modded (Sniper or the other) Boss GE7 be significantly better than a Fish and Chips. Even if I got a GE7 used, I'd be looking at at least $80 for a used GE7 plus the mod kit. On the other hand, the F&C's are $30 new. I don't care about it being plastic as I'll only be using it in my bedroom and will have it on most/all of the time after setting it up.

• Members

If that's the case than DEFINITELY go for the fish and chips. If you needed something more road worthy the GE7 is probably a better bet, but if this is just for playing at home the fish and chips will get the job done. That's not to say that the fish and chips couldn't handle going to lots of gigs, it's jsut less likely to hold up.

Archived