• 2 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
  • Members
Sweet, that's good to hear.
:thu:

On another note, you know how people say you can't absolutely nail The Edge's signature sound without his magic mojo SDD-3000?

Not true. Behold, my latest acquisition:

http://www.psionicaudio.com/main/triad_features.htm

It's tonal heaven. It's exactly the sound of the SDD-3000 in bypass mode. Simply awesome.

That plus a Korg SDD-2000 is close enough to the price of a Korg SDD-3000 to say f--- it and just get an SDD-3000 :eek:

btw, this Christmas, a friend ended up giving me his old broken Korg SDD-3000. I already owned one that was in perfect condition. Put it on eBay for $1450 and it was bought by Dallas Schoo (U2's guitar tech) :eek: When the cheque arrived it was from "Principle Management" (U2's management company). So Edge is playing with my Korg SDD-3000 :eek:

Now, to get my broken one fixed.

• Members

[YOUTUBE]RGHqoUOT_z4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]U_2Q7DYujEI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0EIorYx-Pjo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]a107MOXhuCk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]57M7TrX1BMg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JA_GNrKxzy0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

oh man...

you can pretty much get realllly close with just an Analog delay w/slight modulation (ONE does the trick!).

When i had my DMM the major factors were slightly hot input gain, and setting the delay time @ about 3/4 clockwise (3 o'clock)... what is that in ms...about 325ms? maybe a little higher?

Major hurdle for most players isnt the delay unit or even the ms setting, but the fact that the delays have to land in the middle of each attack. any tap tempo delay w/the dotted eighth setting will pretty much nail that song.

• Members

oh man...

you can pretty much get realllly close with just an Analog delay w/slight modulation (ONE does the trick!).

When i had my DMM the major factors were slightly hot input gain, and setting the delay time @ about 3/4 clockwise (3 o'clock)... what is that in ms...about 325ms? maybe a little higher?

Major hurdle for most players isnt the delay unit or even the ms setting, but the fact that the delays have to land in the middle of each attack. any tap tempo delay w/the dotted eighth setting will pretty much nail that song.

and grooving with the delay. a lot of people don't seem to understand that the delay should become part of the riff as opposed to just playing and letting the delay follow along with you. if you get the groove right you can make any delay work within context. the modulation and all of that becomes a sweetener at that point

• Members

i think the DD20 does great on the mod and dual sections. i've just become so accustomed to getting any delay sound i want fromt he DD20 because of its ease, the bpm or ms display and tempo settings (i think there is 9).

I tried one night to run two DD20's one set at like 350ms and the other slighty off from that, say 360ms because i heard that is what the edge does alot, it sounded like garbage. the two DD20s didn't respond very well to one another. i'm waiting on getting a nova delay to pair with it.

i think one big thing about the DD20 and getting the edge sound (and this is a big part of his sdd3000 with the 10+db) is setting the DD20 to the +4db setting, it really improves its sound to me.

the nova has alot of the same features as the DD20 which is why i'm getting it. its also got multiple/selectable tempos and the +4db thing and it displays the time which is a need-to-feature since its the year 2008.

• Members
i think the DD20 does great on the mod and dual sections. i've just become so accustomed to getting any delay sound i want fromt he DD20 because of its ease, the bpm or ms display and tempo settings (i think there is 9).

I tried one night to run two DD20's one set at like 350ms and the other slighty off from that, say 360ms because i heard that is what the edge does alot, it sounded like garbage. the two DD20s didn't respond very well to one another. i'm waiting on getting a nova delay to pair with it.

i think one big thing about the DD20 and getting the edge sound (and this is a big part of his sdd3000 with the 10+db) is setting the DD20 to the +4db setting, it really improves its sound to me.

the nova has alot of the same features as the DD20 which is why i'm getting it. its also got multiple/selectable tempos and the +4db thing and it displays the time which is a need-to-feature since its the year 2008.

:thu: I just set my DD20 to +4db, and you know what? It does sound better. Thanks for the tip!

• Members
:thu:
I just set my DD20 to +4db, and you know what? It does sound better. Thanks for the tip!

yep even more than just the +4 db- try pressing the tempo button until it says 'dotted eighth' and now you can tap into U2 at what ever tempo you want

• Members

I read an interview with Edge (David Evans) a few years ago. He said his basic delay sound is a dotted eighth note delay, which is about 455ms I believe.

it depends on the tempo as to what the ms measurement is. :poke:

• Members

one thing i don't understand about all this. . .is there a specific difference between a dotted eighth delay as such, etc? i mean, aren't repeats at 300 ms and beats at 400 ms all the same? i just can't figure how a repeat isn't a repeat. Amnesta has it that a dotted eighth is something like 45,000/BPM and the other times are different. if that's the case, i follow, so when you punch in tap tempo you'd need to get the right thing. . .

• Members

its all based on the tempo of the song. the timing of a dotted 8th repeat is equal to the value of a dotted 8th note in any given song. so if you have a delay with a dotted 8th setting, you just tap in the quarter notes as usual and the pedal subdivides it; if you have only normal tap tempo you have to tap to the dotted 8th. if you don't have any tap tempo, you spin the knob till its close enough.

Archived