Crybaby true bypass

jb1911

• Members

I don't think any of the Dunlops are True Bypass, (at least the last time I called them they said they were only buffer bypass). My Crybaby Classic w/Fasel is not True Bypass. I did a search and found some website that looked like it gave the do-it-yourself mods for the more recent Crybaby Classic.

Jack

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Are all Crybabys not true bypass? I know the standard one I got back in the 90's was?

nope. mine sucks some high end. its it was a 2001 or something. it's so lame or them to sell something like that, at the time i was young and foolish.

• Members

Take the cover off and see for yourself.

Just checked. It IS true bypass! DPDT switch. I ohmed it out and it passed 0 ohm when off and 2.1 when switched on. I also put it in the signal chain backwards and it passes a signal when switched off. If anyone asks, the Dunlop Crybaby model #GCB95F is true bypass. Good thing I didn't send it out to get modded.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Are all Crybabys not true bypass? I know the standard one I got back in the 90's was?

Crybaby's are not always true bypass. In fact I think only the Classic and one other model are TB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For anyone interested, I emailed Dunlop again and they confirmed that none of their wah pedals are True Bypass. Below is the email I got back from Dunlop.

Hello,
None of our pedals are true bypass.
The GCB95ZF is a hardwire bypass.

Thanks,
Anthony Ngo, Technical Support

Thanks,
Jack

• Members
Originally posted by jb1911

Just checked. It IS true bypass! DPDT switch. I ohmed it out and it passed 0 ohm when off and 2.1 when switched on. I also put it in the signal chain backwards and it passes a signal when switched off. If anyone asks, the Dunlop Crybaby model #GCB95F is true bypass. Good thing I didn't send it out to get modded.

Although... the tests you did actually doesn't prove anything. A regular Crybaby will do exactly the same thing, as it too has a direct (or hard-wired, as Dunlop likes to call it) link from input to output in bypass mode. What matters is if the switch disconnects the wah circuit from the input or not, and the only way to find that out is to open the pedal up and trace the circuit.

Originally posted by Janglin_Jack

For anyone interested, I emailed Dunlop again and they confirmed that none of their wah pedals are True Bypass. Below is the email I got back from Dunlop.

Hello,

None of our pedals are true bypass.

The GCB95ZF is a hardwire bypass.

Thanks,

Anthony Ngo, Technical Support

Thanks,

Jack

This is interesting on several levels. First off, it's the first time I've heard someone from Dunlop accnowledge that there is a difference between their bypass system ("hardwire") and true bypass. Second, I've heard so many reports of the Classic and 535Q being the odd men out, as the only two Dunlop/MXR pedals with proper true bypass. But I suppose the only way to find out for real is to take one home and pull it apart... anyone in Sweden/Europe who wans to volunteer theirs? :D

/Andreas

• Members
Originally posted by andreas

Although... the tests you did actually doesn't prove anything. A regular Crybaby will do exactly the same thing, as it too has a direct (or hard-wired, as Dunlop likes to call it) link from input to output in bypass mode. What matters is if the switch disconnects the wah circuit from the input or not, and the only way to find that out is to open the pedal up and trace the circuit.

This is interesting on several levels. First off, it's the first time I've heard someone from Dunlop accnowledge that there is a difference between their bypass system ("hardwire") and true bypass. Second, I've heard so many reports of the Classic and 535Q being the odd men out, as the only two Dunlop/MXR pedals with proper true bypass. But I suppose the only way to find out for real is to take one home and pull it apart... anyone in Sweden/Europe who wans to volunteer theirs?
:D

/Andreas

i can post detailed pics of the inside of the pedal, when i get home

• Members

I have a bunch of gut shots already, but they might be interesting for others to see. What I'd really need to do is follow the signal with a multimeter.

Measure the resistance from the input jack (tip of a patch cable will do fine) to the input of the circuit (a bit of circuit tracing is needed to find that point on the pcb), click the switch and measure again. A true bypass should measure 0 ohms in active mode, and infinite resistance in bypass mode. The regular Dunlop/MXR bypass system (also known as "half-arsed bypass" or "output switching only") will read 0 ohms regardless of what the switch does.

From the pics I've seen, the Classic *could* be wired for TB - there's four wires to/from the switch, which is the bare minimum (input, output, send and return to/from the circuit). But that is not conclusive proof - the only way to know for sure is to open it up and measure...

/Andreas

• Members
Originally posted by SeeMoore

A true bypass pedal would let the signal through without a power source (battery).

So take out the duracell and see if you get signal.

No a hardwire bypass will do that too. So the battery test really doesn't prove anything.

Archived