guns n roses tone. what distortion pedal is right?

hhsuey

• Members

hey, i'm new to pedals. bear with me :D

i want to emulate the sound of slash in november rain and sweet child of mine.

what distortion pedal do you recommend?

i don't have any distortion pedals yet. and my only amp is a roland microcube.

someone recommended the boss metal zone to me before. what do you think? any other suggestions?

• Members

i got a really good SWCO'M tone from a Jekyll and Hyde.

Had the Jekyll set to boost the hyde a little and warm it up and the Hyde set for about 65% drive.

Didnt sound too bad.

Other than, i'd check out getting a good marshall-y type pedal.

MI Audio crunchbox, Kaden Brown Creeper, etc.

I know slash uses an MXR micro amp for boost as well.

• Members

who goes around recommending a MT? That seems very odd.

I use the DS-1 for sweet child tone with excellent results, that is probably the best idea for you also because it is cheap and it will be your first dist pedal. Put the tone control around 9 o clock and dist to taste.

For november rain, maybe an OD pedal maxed out. It is a bit sweeter sounding tone to my ears. Be my guess, a bad monkey maybe, not too sure.

Further more, the amp

also Vintage 30's Celestion speakers are very Slashy. Again I think you need a closed back the least but try the above.

• Members

Slash is pretty much just LP into Marshall - awesome, but not complicated. cf. Angus Young, Billy Duffy, etc etc...

DS-1 really will cover a lot of Slash territory, and I agree with fusionid that a good OD will get you the rest. Actually, varying combinations of OD and amp dirt (e.g. medium-gain into clean amp, clean boost into crunchy amp, high gain into dirty amp, etc.) will probably get you everything you need.

• Members

The closest I've got to it without using a Marshall is with the Zoom HL-01 by far. I've also got the Keeley DS-1 with the Seeing Eye mod and it isn't the right voicing to me, and I've owned or still own a lot of well known dist boxes like the Dist+, Rat, Big Muff and again they haven't been quite right. The HL-01 is high gain but also very smooth and it's pretty damn close.

• Members

Originally posted by blackmoreisgod

the Metal Zone sounds NOTHING like Slash!

try these:

$39 BOSS DS-1

$69 Marshall Guv'nor

$189 Tonebone Hot British

+1

Basically any pedal that tries to emulate Marshall/British Stack.

I would add Digitech Hot Head too.

• Members

saying 'well slash didnt use dist pedals' is stupid the guys is asking for how to get his set up in the same ballpark.

He's got a microcube not a marshall stack.

I've used a guvnor mk2 which I thought was great for copping those old rock tones sounds a bit nasty at the same time though....

• Members

Menatone King of the Britains.

It is designed to duplicate the sound of an overdriven Marshall Plexi. I don't own one, but I demo'd one at Willies American Guitars in St Paul and it sounded, well, like a Marshall in a Box! It is sortof a one-trick pony though. The guys working at Willies agreed with me - it sounds like a Marshall and when you twist the knobs all over the place it still sounds like a Marshall. So if that is all your going for it is probably a good thing. On that particular trip I ended up leaving the store with a new Subdecay Stupid Box instead and I am happy with that.

• Members

A modded Marshall for AFD tones and a Silver Jubilee for Illsuison tones-the Slash Sig Marshall is basically a Jubilee. A Boss eq might help, a good wah and not that new Sig Wah. Also, check out Pharoah Amplifiers new Silver Jubilee pedal-I do not know anything about it other than it is supposed to have tonal characteristics of a SJ. Remember that no pedal can replicate the interaction of a preamp section, power tubes and the transformer in a good vintage amp like a Marshall!! Another important thing is a Les Paul with Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups. MJ at the Duncan Custom Shop can wind you Slash spec APII's that are awesome sounding.

• Members

Originally posted by todd richman

A modded Marshall for AFD tones and a Silver Jubilee for Illsuison tones-the Slash Sig Marshall is basically a Jubilee. A Boss eq might help, a good wah and not that new Sig Wah. Also, check out Pharoah Amplifiers new Silver Jubilee pedal-I do not know anything about it other than it is supposed to have tonal characteristics of a SJ. Remember that no pedal can replicate the interaction of a preamp section, power tubes and the transformer in a good vintage amp like a Marshall!! Another important thing is a Les Paul with Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups. MJ at the Duncan Custom Shop can wind you Slash spec APII's that are awesome sounding.

thanks. and i'll keep those pickups in mind. i am planning to upgrade pickups soon too. currently have stock pickups on an otherwise perfect epiphone les paul.

• Members

Exact duplication of our heroes' rigs: highly overrated.

Exact duplication of our heroes' licks and phrasing, repeated as necessary and then some: highly underrated.

Before you go looking for a Jubilee, see how close you can get with a DS-1 and a decent OD :thu:

Archived