Difference Between MXR Phase 90 & EVH Phase 90

Zakko

• Members

I've seen a couple on some people's boards over here.

What's the difference between the two? The GC by my house only has the EVH in stock and I'd prefer to pay quite less for somthing that's comparable.

• Members

the evh phase 90 has a button that when pushed in supposed to make it sound like the script letter MXR that's so collectible...i have both and find them comparable...but i like the striped one for obvious reasons...:D

• Members

The EVH has 2 modes, vintage and modern. the vintage mode is supposed to replicate the sound of the eary to mid 70s 'script' logo pedals, and modern is the same as the block logo pedals. Also you're paying for the EVH endorsement. I really like the EVH model, I think it sounds better than the standard phase 90s

• Members

Because I'm an idiot who can't wait to post a response until after somebody more knowledgeable does, doesn't it essentially just have a switch that cuts a series of diodes out of the circuit, thus returning the Phase 90 to 'script' specs? The diodes cause a strengthening of signal gain that pretty much sounds like crappy distortion on the sweep of the phase. I've been meaning to make this mod myself for the past several weeks. This thread will probably make me attempt it tonight.

One can also do this for free with a pair of small wire cutters or a soldering iron, but then you don't get the cool paint job for twice as much dough.

• Members

i've got the EVH phase90 and absolutely love the thing. it's a really clean sounding pedal, on par with the best of my high dollar boooteeek pedals.

i run with the script mode allmost allways, so guess it's worth having.

i've been made to beleave that the script button is akin to having the R28 mode on a regular phase90, have no idea if this correct or not though?

when i bought mine, i actually tried out both the phase90 and the EVH and wasn't really hearing that much deference. however i was trying them through a little piece of crap 10watt solidstate amp with an 8inch speaker. wish i could tell you how they both sound through a good amp.

just know i'm damn happy with the EVH one.

• Members

Originally posted by Zakko

I've seen a couple on some people's boards over here.

What's the difference between the two? The GC by my house only has the EVH in stock and I'd prefer to pay quite less for somthing that's comparable.

the evh phase is my favorite non-booteeek pedal

the mxr is nice too..but it's "harsher" in my opinion. I always thought it had a treble spike..Maybe it's just my rig. I dig the effect but hated the "thinning" of my guitar

The EVH solved that problem. Same effect.. But warm and fat. THe switch is VERY useful...because you can go from thick jet-like flanging and thick vibrato with heavy distortion...to a more subtle pulsing liquidy univibe type sound with mild overdrive.

Killer pedal. A lot of guys dig the red witch phaser and I"ve owned one before.But I consider that pedal to be a totally different beast. IT's more vintagey...perfect for getting a Beatles sound. But no way can you do convincing EVH type sounds with it.

hope that helps - good luck

• Members

one more thing about the EVH - it's buffered so it could effect the order of your pedal chain. Does not sound good in front of ODs and fuzzes but sounds great placed after.

By itself, it sound great in front of an amp or in the loop..just personal preference

I'm not sure the technical reason. But I have had a hard time getting it to blend in my effects loop with my amp's level controls. I've read that other people have had a similar problem

just lettin ya know

Archived