Akai Headrush E2 vs. Boss RC-20 Loop Station - Battle of the Loopers #2!

arexjay

• Members

So, after throwing out the DD-20 for looping, I figure I'd go after the dedicated loopers (even though the headrush has delay too). They both fetch similar prices on eBay, so I figured it's pretty fair to compare them straight up. I'm looking for this to play rhythm parts and play lead over them, or play lead parts and then harmonize over said lead parts. I play in a kind of Bloc Party/Hives/Modest Mouse/Minus the Bear mash up.

So, which one should I get?! And WHY?!

• Members

Headrush all the way. You can undo overdubs and start over with the original loop, looping with this thing is incredibly intuitive and simple, and the digital delays very usable.

The RC-20 has more complex features like quantizing, much more loop time, and the ablility to save 9 separate loops, but I don't think those outweight the ease of use factor with the headrush.

I guess from a reliability standpoint Boss would win, but my E1 is still going strong and I'm its second owner.

• Members

BINs go for 200 on Ebay. I don't see them for much cheaper than that usually. If you really shark BIN auctions on ebay you might get lucky though.

Post in the Spam thread that you're looking for one and maybe somebody here will give you a deal.

• Members

I sold wilbo my E1 and immediately replaced it with the E2. I've had the RC-20 and Jamman. The later two had more features as far as loopers go, but still couldn't even take the place of the E1. The only feature they have that's better than the headrush is more loop time, but way more than you would ever need in a live situation. The E2 has plenty of loop time for playing live and is way easier to use. And as a bonus it has one of the coolest digital delays too. The E1 probably has plenty for live situations too, but it left me wanting more quite often when practicing.

I still want to get the RC-50, because I'd like to do some complex "practicing", but I know that thing will take me like a month to figure out. It took me several hours to figure out the jamman. After a week I still couldn't figure out how to work the cheezy bass/drum machine so I took it back.

Archived