Jump to content

Why Am I Being Told No Equalizer In Effects Loop?


Recommended Posts

  • Members

I've been running my Boss GE-7 equalizer through my amp's effects loop for quite a while. I use it as a lead boost by raising the mids and it sounds great.

 

I recently got my amp serviced and I was talking to the technician, who's an older guy with many many years of experience, about my gear. He told me the EQ shouldn't be in the effects loop of my amp.

 

I've experimented in the past by putting the eq in front and I really didn't get much of a boost and I wasn't at all happy with the sound.

 

Am I the only one that runs my eq through the effects loop?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

I'm sorry but that technician is an idiot. You did the right thing you tried it in all places and figured out what sounded best to you. Any pedal can go anywhere. Sure it works best for most people and their gear near the front of an effects line but guess what, that doesn't mean anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

He said something like gain pedals don't belong in the effects loop, or something to that effect. I didn't really know what he meant but I've heard it before. I'm not really sure what makes a pedal fall into this category, but I know that I've heard that a distortion pedal falls into this category and shouldn't be used in the effects loop.

 

He also said there's a risk of damaging your amp.

 

I dunno.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
Originally posted by NYIpage71

I've been running my Boss GE-7 equalizer through my amp's effects loop for quite a while. I use it as a lead boost by raising the mids and it sounds great.


I recently got my amp serviced and I was talking to the technician, who's an older guy with many many years of experience, about my gear. He told me the EQ shouldn't be in the effects loop of my amp.


I've experimented in the past by putting the eq in front and I really didn't get much of a boost and I wasn't at all happy with the sound.


Am I the only one that runs my eq through the effects loop?

No idea. It should obviously go in the loop if you need to add actual volume boost to a hot running front end. Putting it before will only add compression/saturation. Have a little confidence in your decision. Sounds like you are doing things right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by NYIpage71

He said something like gain pedals don't belong in the effects loop, or something to that effect. I didn't really know what he meant but I've heard it before. I'm not really sure what makes a pedal fall into this category, but I know that I've heard that a distortion pedal falls into this category and shouldn't be used in the effects loop.


He also said there's a risk of damaging your amp.


I dunno.

 

I've used both EQ and distortion in-loop and my amp hasn't blown up or anything . . .

 

You gotta figure that the loop just puts your chain after the pream and before the power amp, right? The preamp is specifically designed to send gain along to the power amp. What difference should it make (electrically) if the gain is coming from the preamp, EQ, dirt pedal, etc.?

 

I think you should seek a second opinion or something. Maybe this tech's a bit :freak:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

I'm not a tech, but I can see what he's saying. If you put a boost after your pre-amp, you may be hitting the power amp with a louder signal than it was intended to handle. If you wanna be on the safe side, use the pedal to reduce volume for rhythm and turn it off for solos. But if you're not running the amp at full volume you're probably ok anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by fulltruth

I'm not a tech, but I can see what he's saying. If you put a boost after your pre-amp, you may be hitting the power amp with a louder signal than it was intended to handle. If you wanna be on the safe side, use the pedal to reduce volume for rhythm and turn it off for solos. But if you're not running the amp at full volume you're probably ok anyways.

 

Yea, this was the impression I got by what he was saying. I guess it kinda makes sense.

 

But the fact that a lot of you replied saying you use the eq in the loop, or that its ok to do it, really makes me feel a lot better. I've been doing it for so long with great results. I guess I do need to have a little more confidence in my decision.

 

Thanks everyone for your input. Everyone that replies and shares their knowledge really helps me out a lot. Much appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

When they designed your amp, they may have wanted to put in more gain but then something bad would happen if you turned *all* the knobs up all the way. Absurd noisiness is one issue usually dealt with partially by having more than one channel so at least the clean channel is quiet. A more serious issue is oscillation, either high pitched squealing or even higher in frequency so you can't hear it but it interferes with normal sound and (at least with SS) can blow things up. Putting gain increases in the loop increases the total gain between the input and output of the amp. With a tube amp, you can even get feedback off the tubes from the speaker. Realizing these things, the problems can be avoided however.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

EQ is is ok in the loop, but I wouldn't put a fuzz factory set to squeal into a maxed out super duper in your loop.

 

I had my Zoom G2 in my loop once for noise reduction and reverb. I accidentally switched it to an unmodelled, maxed out high gain distortion with boost, man did my ears hurt after that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by NYIpage71

I've been running my Boss GE-7 equalizer through my amp's effects loop for quite a while. I use it as a lead boost by raising the mids and it sounds great.


I recently got my amp serviced and I was talking to the technician, who's an older guy with many many years of experience, about my gear. He told me the EQ shouldn't be in the effects loop of my amp.


I've experimented in the past by putting the eq in front and I really didn't get much of a boost and I wasn't at all happy with the sound.


Am I the only one that runs my eq through the effects loop?

 

Hell, I'm using a Peavey Q431F 31 band rack EQ between my preamp and the power amp with excellent results (tightens the low end, shapes the low mids, boosts the high mids and also boosts with 5 db the overall gain). I can't be more satisfied!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

perhaps you should mention what amp you are talking about --- although in theory, it shouldnt make a damn bit of difference.


but just to be clear, y'know? not all amps are the same....

 

It's a Marshall JCM 900 2x12 dual reverb combo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by MarkSimpson

Loop is the *only* place I'd put an EQ. Been doing so for over 15 years.


Find a new tech.

 

He may not know shit about pedals, but I know for sure he does great work on my amp.

 

He's an old blues guy. I don't know if that's an excuse to not know these things, but he's really old school.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...