Roland Micro Cube owners: how's the headphone jack?

Uma Floresta

• Members

I'm thinking of getting a Roland Micro Cube for some silent recording. I don't care much about how the physical speaker sounds, I mostly want to use it for silent jamming/recording. Any issues? How's the sound quality? Thanks, peoples. :D

PS I did do a search -- couldn't find any details about the headphone out jack.

• Members

Oh, also, anyone try running effects into it? How does it react to OD/Distortion effects?

Also, how about clean boosting? I don't boost as a means to create overdrive, but as a means to reduce noise from other effects after the boost. Does the Cube distort with a lot of input signal?

• Members

I had heard reports that it sounded 'off' when using the headphone/line out jack for direct recording. Not sure how accurate that is, and even then I would guess you could probably fix it with some EQing.

As for effects, its obviously not going to sound as good with a tube amp when hit with an OD or Fuzz, but mod effects and delay should sound fine. I've got a Vox DA5, which is similar to the MC, and it does fine with most of my effects.

Somebody said running a fuzz into the MC set on the Acoustic model was wicked awesome. Haven't tried it out myself though.

Also, are you sure you want a mini-amp if you're just going to use it for silent recording??? Something like the Tonelab seems better suited for that purpose.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

I had heard reports that it sounded 'off' when using the headphone/line out jack for direct recording. Not sure how accurate that is, and even then I would guess you could probably fix it with some EQing.

As for effects, its obviously not going to sound as good with a tube amp when hit with an OD or Fuzz, but mod effects and delay should sound fine. I've got a Vox DA5, which is similar to the MC, and it does fine with most of my effects.

Somebody said running a fuzz into the MC set on the Acoustic model was wicked awesome. Haven't tried it out myself though.

Also, are you sure you want a mini-amp if you're just going to use it for silent recording??? Something like the Tonelab seems better suited for that purpose.

I see... thanks for the input. As to the appropriateness of using a mini-amp for recording, I guess I forgot to mention this variable: I'm a cheap bastard! :p

• Members

Originally posted by Uma Floresta

I see... thanks for the input. As to the appropriateness of using a mini-amp for recording, I guess I forgot to mention this variable: I'm a cheap bastard!
:p

Ah, well that should work then. Although you can be even cheaper and find a used J-Station on Ebay. :thu:

I'd go Micro Cube though, it sounds really good, its small and light, and you never know when you'll need a small battery powered amp...

• Members

Originally posted by Uma Floresta

I'm thinking of getting a Roland Micro Cube for some silent recording. I don't care much about how the physical speaker sounds, I mostly want to use it for silent jamming/recording. Any issues? How's the sound quality? Thanks, peoples.
:D

PS I did do a search -- couldn't find any details about the headphone out jack.

I like the speaker just fine but the headphone jack is pretty good for silent practising. Havent tried any distortion pedals into it (besides some distorted patches with my GT-8 into the AUX input, really good) but the MC takes clean boosting really well.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Ah, well that should work then. Although you can be even cheaper and find a used J-Station on Ebay.
:thu:

I'd go Micro Cube though, it sounds really good, its small and light, and you never know when you'll need a small battery powered amp...

Trut. Thanks again for the input.

Any other takers?

I also thought perhaps a ghetto way of getting an "effects loop" might be to run some of my effects (compression, overdrive) into the input, and then from the headphone jack go into my modulation effects, and from there go to my computer, possibly with some virtual cab program.

I told you I was cheap! :D

• Members

Originally posted by bierball

I like the speaker just fine but the headphone jack is pretty good for silent practising. Havent tried any distortion pedals into it (besides some distorted patches with my GT-8 into the AUX input, really good) but the MC takes clean boosting really well.

Sweet, thanks for the info!

Is the AUX input different from the regular input, aside from offering the ability to jam along with a CD player while playing? Or is the input volume of the AUX input different?

• Members

I liked the microcube a lot. It reacted quite well with pedals into it (jazz choruses tend to). I would never use it for distortion, or even an acoustic/mic amp, but the jazz clean was like a mini jazz chorus, albeit not a very "full" sounding one. The headphones/line out was OK, I would go direct before I went through that for recording though. It was somewhat thin as many guitar amp headphones out tend to go. I was using my sennheiser cans, HD590s.

-Colin

• Members

Originally posted by gorebuc

The AC-30 model takes pedals really well. I've not used it for recording. If you really want one cheap, I can maybe make you a deal...

Okay...

I'm not for sure decided on the Micro Cube, but I'll let you know... I couldn't get it until early October anyway, if I do decide to go for it.

Love the avatar, by the way. I'm a big fan of Andy Summers.

Archived